weekly Greengo's 52 in 2014 - BALANCE now added

Yum, cracking cake, very original. I like the low angle and good overall detail. I'd like her name in focus and it lacks a little pop on my ipad.

Hope it was as tasty as it looks.

Cheers.

Hi Colin,

Wow, what a cake! Great originality and loving shot #2
I think it has a great angle / POV and it has a wow factor to it.

Your LOUD images certainly fit the theme. Shame there's no spinal tap reference with an 11.
I'm not sure which I prefer at the moment, it's either 1 or 3. I think it's 3 as it looks more gritty (in a good way).

Last edited:
Loud shots are superb - and I really like 1 & 3. The first in particular is very much a shot I could imagine wanting to take but not quite getting it as right... shot 3 is just great and looks superb. In 1, a slightly shallower angle in terms of POV might help throw the other knobs out of focus a bit more, but otherwise perfect.

Hi, I feel the guitar shot is the better of the three, the amp shots seem a little harsh lighting wise
was going to do something along this line myself

Rich... My idea for this theme didnt take long to pop into my head... going back to my youth I always enjoyed a game of Monopoly... And the most expensive place on the board was Mayfair... If you had a hotel or house on there you were always guaranteed a windfall so it was a race to try and get on there first... I decided to use a shallow DOF so that the focus was on the price of the square and added a few parts of the game to make the image a bit more interesting... just enough to keep the eye wandering and interested...
I hope you like them... C&C always welcome...

View attachment 15836

View attachment 15837

Last edited:
Hi, second Monopoly shot for me, something about the angle works better in my eyes i like the processing on them both too

hmmm, think I'll go with teh second too, the diagonals work well, and the OOF dice let you know that they're not the subject, leading you on to the mayfair and teh £400 and the houses.

Why have you got the car and the dog facing the wrong way though? ;)

Yum - Fantastic looking cake both pictures are nice but the 2nd one edges it for me the angle and detail spot on

Loud - great idea to what I think is a bloody tough subject 3rd for me nice and clear good detail

Rich - 2nd for me also great selective focus that draws you in to the £400

Hey Colin... Rich - great idea and well executed photos. I also like the grainy look of the first, but probably the composition/angle of the second. A couple of minor crits on the second which are really almost trying to pick holes in what is a really good shot (hope you don't mind - they're just suggestions)...

Maybe a hint more lighting on the dog & hat (we're talking perhaps half a stop?)
Feels slightly too tight a crop on the notes TR... either crop a chunk off or have some space between them and the edge of the frame, maybe?
I find the OOF dice very slightly distracting being quite large and foreground - not sure what to do as I like the narrow DOF on Mayfair and compositionally their position is just right to balance the image. Perhaps if they weren't white and jumping out so much?

Really like the shot - great take!

Dream - I can see the connection of the sheep with the theme but I'm afraid the quality of the image (Noise/sheep's eyes, exposure) lets it down - sorry

Vertical - I'm not a boating person but the yacht masts is my pick of the two entries. Good exposure and whites. All the rigging usually makes these shots a bit too busy but in this case I feel it has worked.

Yum - Out of these I prefer #2 but I feel #1 fits the theme a little more. What a cracking cake to have for a wedding.

Loud - Being an occasional guitar player I'd have to go fro #3 out of this bunch. You've made good use of a shallow DoF which is good. Just one question - why no strings?

Rich - I did something similar for the money theme a couple of years ago. Whilst I like the composition of #2 the grunginess of the processing of on the green board of #1 wins it for me. Again both are strengthened by a large aperture. Nice one (or two)

2 good shots there, the one of your lad on the beach especially.... caught the look of concentration and a hint of movemnt in the ball and the leg

Great sky behind too, for me the vignette doesn;t add anything and dominates the image. I'd lose it. (y)

Hi Colin

Loud....#1 or #3 for me...#1 I prefer the angle & the mono , focus is almost spot on ...just seems a touch blurry on the top of the knob ? #3 I like again for the angle , good use of DOF , just right so you know what you're looking at but the eye is concentrated on the important bit...:clap: Does seem to have a touch of a blue cast around the white bits though ?

Rich...#2 for m e, prefer the quirkier angle , great use of DOF & slightly muted tones (y) I'd maybe have left the Hat off & the dice irritate a little being off at the front of the image but that's down to the shallow DOF ?

Skill #1...small amount of movement in the ball is great , good to not be square on to the camera (y) Maybe needs a touch more exposure on your lad to make him pop out of the image a bit more & could really do without the vignette...but that's a personal choice :)

Hi Colin, the beach shot is the pick for me. I agree with the vignette but you've heard that. I'd boost the exposure slightly to get more detail back in the shorts and maybe crop a tiny bit off the bottom so it's not as central.

Hi, beach for me too, nicely caught.
cant stand bagpipes so no comment on that
agree the vignette is fairly pointless

Two good shots Colin, but for both of them, I'd prefer to see a lower angle of shot - I find having the horizon cross the head/shoulders is a bit distracting. Position the camera/you lower and the horizon can pass below and there's less conflict visually between that and looking at the eyes/face.

Vignette doesn't do much for me either, but others may disagree. I've had a play with a similar style and ended up dropping it - worth a go though!

So HALF... My first attempt was to get a self portrait of me with a lamp to my side so that half my face was lit... looking back at the pics I just wasnt happy with the end result...
So I decided to photograph my father in law's home grown tomatoes... polished up my knive, sliced a tom in half and set up my area for togging...
C&C always welcome...

View attachment 17090

View attachment 17091

Hiya Collin, good shot for skill , like the one of ya lad with the ball, just enough motion blur in the ball to show movement (y) but the vignette isn't for me either

2nd of your two for half, for me the image suits the shallower dof and low pov (y)

Half: nice idea, Colin.

The top one looks a bit underexposed for me, although I actually like the wider DOF and clarity of the tomatoes. Exposure on the second is better for me and the shallow DOF certainly leads you more quickly to the cut tomato. Not as sure on knife placement on #2?

It's a good pair of shots but probably some sort of middle ground between the would be ideal for me??

Hi Colin

#1 for me mainly for the greated DOF , I like all the tom's in focus , focus looks goods , you've caught the juiciness of them well & avoided any horrid highlights on the knife (y) Does need a slight exposure lift though to make those tasty looking toms really pop :)

Hi, have to agree with the above comments No1 for me too with a slight exposure lift

So Architectural really got to me... Rather than do a building shot I wanted to show something that may have been built differently... I seen a dry stone wall which is a common thing found in rural Ireland and always admired the work that goes into such a structure... There never seems to be a straight plan for these things but the structure & architecture is something to be admired...
Two different angles for me from the same wall... C&C always welcome...

View attachment 17481

View attachment 17482

Hi Colin

I like your idea for architectural... as you say, something different and it's nice to see something other than a building. The only thing about the theme for me is architectural shouts "detail" or "macro" (in the non-photo sense), i.e. either small and intricate work or whole building/construction. Obviously there might be exceptions, but the link to the theme could have been even stronger with a wider viewpoint and be able to see the architectural "plan" of the walls? I'm not sure quite sure what I'm saying any more!

The sign is a tricky one: in some ways it distracts, but I think your instinct was right to have something else in the scene. I do like the arch right of frame on #2, so perhaps that could have been an architectural detail to make more prominent?

Exposure looks a tad low to me in both (just going by eye)? I think your DOF choice is very good - you've blurred the fence sufficiently without losing the sky and kept the walls sufficiently in focus. That's a really tricky one to get right and I think you've nailed that.

I find the hill appearing over the wall in #1 to be slightly distracting so the POV in #2 definitely works better. Finally, I'm not sure the ground helps things - it's quite artificial but it is what it is!

I do like the contrast boost in the sky and your processing there. The lighting overall is lovely. Two solid shots which are on theme enough for me... onwards and upwards to the next one!

I prefer the light on the second shot that shows more detail in the stonework, but like Paul above, neither really shout out "architectural" to me and if it hadn't been for the header I would have thought the dry stone walling was your entry for the theme of "skill" a couple of weeks ago. - sorry!

Hi Colin,
Rich... #2 for me too prefer the angle, well executed :)
Skill #1 looks slightly under exposed, don't like the vignette effect, lovely picture well caught, caught his concentration well :clap::clap:
half...#2 for me too I like the dof it take your eye straight to the half tomato (y)
Architectural...#2 again, slightly better exposed, I would as its in the picture like to be able to read the sign:)

Hi, I prefer #1 so the second one has a few mor distractions. Loos a little blue on my iPad and although it's good to try different ideas it doesn't scram arcitecure, IMO.

Chests.

Back