weekly Greengo's 52 in 2014 - BALANCE now added

I prefer the 2nd of the two images for Architectural as simply, it's brighter. Is it a proper Dry Stone wall or has it been mortared? I can't quite make out if the joins between the stones are sideways stones or mortar.

Anyway, nice idea and nice to see something other than a building.

Promise gave me a headache... And can I also appologise for maybe not replying to everyones pics with C&C... following on from the theme thread I know a lot of people who are taking part this year are busy over the summer months with kids off on holidays from school etc and this can suck up a lot of time... I dont mind if you choose not to comment... I do try and get round images I may not have had the chance to comment on before so if I havent left feedback or C&C its not because I'm ignoring your effort, its just that I havent had time...

Back to the theme... when I asked my family for input to this weeks theme my daughter blurted out "pinky promise"... when I asked what it was she showed me and I thought how I could make it interesting ?
A little bit of bokeh in the background can brighten up a dull picture I thought... so this was my take on this weeks theme... portrait & landscape... and no vignette this week o_O;)

View attachment 18231

View attachment 18232

2nd ones head and shoulders above the first. Warmth, composition, closeness all miles better.

Wondering why you posted the first one as well? Do you see the differences between the two?

Good job though. :)

Architecture - I prefer the second one but as mentioned perhaps the arch on the second photograph would have been better suited to the theme: I think they are both under exposed and your WB looks out they both have a blue tinge to them: I do like the fact that you were thinking outside the box and went for something other than a building.

Promise - I like the idea and the second one is by far the better one well done on this photograph.

Promise... Definitely second for reasons already stated. A few more comments:

Maybe worth stopping down a bit to get broader DOF... I doubt it would ruin the bokeh on the lights (which is lovely, BTW) but you'd get all of the hands in focus, which is currently not quite there.
I'd actually like very slightly more of the hands in the shot, especially the left hand (but I do like the closeness of the second shot).
WB selection works very well and helps bring the OOF lights into the picture more... when you had the blue WB in the first, they stood out almost separately, whereas there's a feel that they're part of the lighting of the scene.
Very nice concept and good execution (on number 2)... very close to ideal!

Give your daughter a big hug for her idea Colin - it's a great take on the theme! My preference is for the crop and warmer tones of the second version.

Hi Colin - Half No.1 for me prefer the DOF all the toms are in focus they look very juicy
Architecture - not quite working for me cant really pin point why
Promise - a really nice idea think I prefer the 2nd shot composition is a lot better and the warmth adds to the theme

Sharp... well I was away for a week in Glasgow and was fortunate enough to have caught these shots whilst visiting Kelvingrove Museum... Not really outstanding per se but I thought that a Dinosaurs teeth would be Sharp enough...
C&C welcome but dont feel under pressure if you dont comment... I know people are busy and can understand...

View attachment 19110

View attachment 19111

Well Colin... that is quite spooky - I think we must have quite similar minds! See a photo I took a few months ago ;)

Definitely on-theme for me. I probably prefer the second (and your composition is better than mine) and the B&W works well to reinforce the sharpness. What did you shoot yours at - I had to go down to f/2 and hand-held at 1/45th... just got away with it but should really have upped my ISO to get a smaller aperture. The first one the focus appears to be on the eyes, rather than the teeth which makes sense usually but doesn't work quite as well for this theme IMO. The second is spot on and I love the way you've positioned the light to be its eye... that never occurred to me!

Very sharp teeth! #2 for me as well. I love the light shining through the eye socket, it kind of gives it a Robo-dino feel to it. Run away! Run away! :eek:

Hi 2 for me too though i feel the BG spoils it somewhat though nothing you could do about that

2nd for me too Colin, putting the light through the eye socket, excellent :D shame about the rest of the lights ( a bit of cloning maybe?)

Good detail in the shadows too (y)

Hey Colin :)

Sorry... not managed to get here for a while by the looks of it :coat:

Rich - Like this one for the theme, I prefer the second one of the two, both are well set up, nicely lit and have good detail, I just prefer the layout of the second :)

Skill - I am preferring your first shot from these two, the vignette is a bit too much for me though, a closer crop would be much more effective I think, the shot itself has caught a nice bit of action/movement and theme wise works well :)

Half - I'd quite like to see a combination of the two with this one, as I am preferring the composition and set up of the first, but would like it a tad brighter and the DoF like the second :)

Architecture - Not sure on this one, a very nice stone wall, I like the second shot of the two, the verticals are slightly off and although there is good detail not sure on it's architectural elements :)

Promise - Ahhhh a pinky promise, excellent idea, liking the light/bokeh in the background, and again I'd like to see a combination of the two, I'm much preferring the colour of the second and the landscape crop of the first - nice idea indeed (y)

Sharp - Certainly the B&W for me, the detail is great in the first/colour shot but the crop is two tight to the LH side for me, the second works a treat !!!! and love the light coming through the skull/eye socket (y)

Apologies again for not getting here sooner :)

Note to self - MUST try harder... not heard that since school :D

Catch up time........

Skill - The blur on the ball gives a sense of movement which is good. Not a fan of the vignette though.

Half - With the lower PoV and shallow DoF I definitely prefer #2. You've kept a realistic colour on the reds as well

Architecture - I feel that the exposure is better on #2 although I think it might be able to cope with a tad more

Promise - Good idea for the theme. The bokeh is a nice touch. I prefer the colour of #2

Sharp - Great idea to put the light in the eye of #2. The background is also sufficiently oof.

HI Colin

Promise...think I prefer the portrait color version.............though focus appears to have been missed though not a badly as in the mono version ? Quite like the fancy bokeh lights :)

Sharp......the skeleton shot for me...love how you to the time to frame the light in the eye socket :clap:

Architectural.....2nd shot for me, slightly more detail in the stone wall , better POV with more of a lead in line & some detail in the sky (y) Can see a bit of a blue cast though....easily fixable in post

Playing catch up from a week ago with "PURE"... thought of bottled water, thought of wool but nothing took my fancy...
My wife mentioned about the purity of a baby being christened but I didnt want to gate crash a christening so I took a trip to a local church to capture the christening font... nothing too fancy and dont expect much C&C just wanted to stay in the game... I've also included a shot of the altar inside the church... cant get any more pure than that... (yeah I know, pushing the limit vastly)...

View attachment 19798 View attachment 19797

Hi Colin... I like your second shot for Pure (marginal crowbar maybe, but don't stress about that!) and I think the lighting on the altar is wonderful... did they provide that or was there some enhancement you added? Whichever, it's great!

Part of me likes the real wide angle feel by including the stone chair and pulpit (?) whereas another part of me thinks it might be stronger cropped in to just the altar and wall hangings behind? The dome is wonderful and I'd love to see a portrait of all of that, with the altar at the bottom. Where is the church, out of interest??

Re: the first photo, it's not doing it for me, I'm afraid - too much going on and lighting not working to your advantage.

Definitely a thumbs up for the altar shot though :)

Last edited:
Hi Colin... I think the second shot is much more reflective of the theme...it's a very calm, serene image ... I would like to have seen all of the dome ...or a closer crop on the altar, which would make an excellent shot for the theme too. It has lovely subtle lighting...yet the stained glass stands out really well...a very interesting setting.

Hi Colin, that's a well thought out shot. I really like the lens flares, which I think make the shot a lot more interesting (not bland). Background, even though not black, works - it's sufficiently out of focus for me. I'm not sure if the vignette is a result of the lens flare or added in post (if the latter, I'd remove it)?

The only negative for me is the subject appears to be OOF. In particular, I'd like to see the necklace bit sharp - worth a retake perhaps? The idea is super and for me the lighting is spot on.

Hi Colin,

Yes pure is spot on theme but as already stated I think I might prefer a portrait shot of the altar and windowS behind which are beautiful.
Sparkle - Yes imo it looks oof but its not boring nice take on the theme.

Sparkle: "Lens Flairs" Paul calls them .... excellent! I'd not thought about creating that effect, not that I know how to.

Pure: I like a good church shot (interior & exterior) and that is good. My eyes are initially drawn towards the altar so therefore landscape works for me.

Hi, Sparkle, has a real product shot feel to it and is nice and simple, but works for the theme. The BG also works because it's not black...if it were it would look odd with the very bright jewel.

It does slightly OOF. Slightly off centre is a nice touch.

Regards.

Not too keen on #2, few distracting while bits in the back.

#1, I liked it when I saw it. I thought it lacked a focus point but it grew on me. Nice detail and warmth.

Cheers.

Hi Colin - welcome back!

A couple of good images for the theme - it wasn't an easy one although there have certainly been a few autumnals posted.

First image is a nice scene and I do like the composition. I think the DOF is just right here - the leaves OOF add context and the central leaves despite being very central snap the viewer to them. The only thing which IMO would strengthen an otherwise good image would be slightly more golden light - perhaps a touch later in the evening with some longer shadows under the leaves? Nice though.

Second shot is interesting but I agree with Andy that the white OOF blobs are distracting. For me though it's more that the hand is in focus and the leaf (the subject?) is blurry because of the motion. I think this shot would have been excellent if you could have panned vertically to capture the leaf in focus and motion blur the rest of the scene... although I'm assuming it's your hand dropping the leaf so it might have been difficult to achieve!

Good job though and now on to the next theme!

:wave: Colin.

Really, really like the concept of the second fall image. Bags of potential there I think.
As above, the white blobs are a bit of a distraction, but if the gods of the theme bag smile on us before Autumn's over and we get a re-shoot I'd love to see another take on this.

If you could get somebody else to drop the leaf for you, you'd have a lot more scope to get a slightly wider shot with more space around the leaf (which I think is needed) - and you could even put Paul's panning suggestion into practice. I think that's a fantastic idea, but even with a helper dropping the leaf I think it might be a challenge to pull off . . . one that would be well worth it if it worked though.

Hi sorry for not popping in been mega busy, and a lack of no broadband has not helped.

Sharp - the composition of the image doesn't excite me sadly, but I can imagine the teeth to be very sharp so fits the theme for me.

Pure - I like the idea for this theme, I feel the composition could be improved slightly. All in all a nice attempt for the theme keep up the good work.

Sparkle - a lovely attempt for the theme and the pendant ( if that's what it is ) is indeed very sparkly looking. I also like the inclusion of the lens flare so nicely done on that.

Fall - the second image is much better presented than the first one, but I do find the oof white blobs distracting.

Pure - Definitely #2 for this theme. The light on the alter helps give it that pure feeling and draws the eye to it being the brightest part of the image

Sparkle - Good shot with a slightly off centre main subject. The added lens flare is a nice touch.

Fall - I prefer #2. It feels a bit dark though and it's a shame the leaf has just been clipped at the bottom.

Back