weekly Greengo's 52 in 2014 - BALANCE now added

Struggling to keep up these past few weeks... promise to try and keep with it from now till the end... not happy with my togging this past few weeks so hopefully get my mojo back very very soon...

Anyway... Communicate... (via email for 1 and via telephone for 2. Tried to get as close as I could to both my subjects... not entirely happy so just posting and being damned...

View attachment 21492

View attachment 21493

For dark I always love seeing someones face lit up by their phone screen in the "DARK"... My daughter kindly volunteered to help me with this as she nevere has her phone or ipad out of her hands day or night...

View attachment 21494

Last edited:
Communicate - prefer the phone, but I would have liked to see a little more of the bottom of it and a little less of the background at the top.

Dark - spot on for the theme and super focus on your daughter's face (y)

Big... I wanted to show how "BIG" a central lamp post can be by taking a shot using my wide angle lens. I think a day time shot may have been a better option without the lights being on.. I tried using HDR to create a more vibrant shot but not sure if it works or not...
I also dug out an old pic I took of a bridge near where I live... when standing underneath it you suddenly feel really small as you discover how "BIG" it really is...

C&C always welcome although I have slacked off with my comments on others photos recently I can understand if you dont want to...

View attachment 21657

View attachment 21658

I like both those Colin.

Lights on, vibrancy, HDR etc ... yes it works. (y)

The bridge ... truly excellent POV! Sharp, clean diagonal dimensions, road veering off, rippled reflection ... (y)

Hi, Communicate, on theme but doesn't grab me....I've done a similar one for previous years which was also a PABD.

Communicate #2 works better. Cracking 'phone, just not sure about the composition/crop.

Dark, belter, really like how you've isolated your daughter. Lovely lighting.

Big, #1 is a bit wacky. I like the perspective.

Big #2, I'm a fan of the composition, namely the shoving :) of the pillars in the extreme corner, almost out of the frame. I do like Saul Leiter who did a similar technique (this is one of my favourites).

Cheers.

I like both those Colin.

Lights on, vibrancy, HDR etc ... yes it works. (y)

The bridge ... truly excellent POV! Sharp, clean diagonal dimensions, road veering off, rippled reflection ... (y)

Hi, Communicate, on theme but doesn't grab me....I've done a similar one for previous years which was also a PABD.

Communicate #2 works better. Cracking 'phone, just not sure about the composition/crop.

Dark, belter, really like how you've isolated your daughter. Lovely lighting.

Big, #1 is a bit wacky. I like the perspective.

Big #2, I'm a fan of the composition, namely the shoving :) of the pillars in the extreme corner, almost out of the frame. I do like Saul Leiter who did a similar technique (this is one of my favourites).

Cheers.

Hi Colin ...two super additions for the theme there ...the first one looks like something arriving from outer space .... the effect really works, and I love the perspective in the second one.

Great shot of your daughter too ...love the lighting on that one .

Thanks guys for all your kind encouragement...

Hi Colin

the shot o your daughter for Dark is head n shoulders above the other 2...great focus on her face , a splash of color on the screen....great stuff :clap:

Big...definite sci-fi feel to #1 and good quirky angle in #2 :)

Big - the first one immediately brought the music sequence from Close Encounters into my head, doody doody doo :vulcan: Love the composition and sharpness of the second one - that's one big bridge!

Communicate - The phone has the most potential out of the offerings but is a bit too harshly cropped I'm afraid

Big - I like both these. They certainly hit the theme head on. The dynamism in both, the zoom effect in #1 and the strong diagonal #2, are really strong. Well done.

Have yet to do CUT but made a deliberate trip out today the capture "BALANCE"...

I scoped my area to take this picture from the best angle which was from behind a wall across the street from the courthouse... Out of sight/out of mind... no one bothered me or walked in front of my shot...
As you can probably tell the balance is the scales of justice evident in her hand... composition was a bit difficult as I had to shoot up the ways... I like the dramatic sky in the first shot... I just got a bit closer for the second to make the scales stand out as being balanced...

View attachment 22663

View attachment 22664

Hi Colin

Communicate - I like the first... simple and it works. DOF well chosen for me and framing is spot on. Second communicate is, IMO, let down a touch by the background behind the phone. Get it on a curved bit or card/paper or something just so there are no lines going across horizontally :) I like the DOF choice and framing but the reflected red light is a touch distracting?

Dark - super shot. Well done as getting that lit well is not easy. Did you take a few shots? Good job and very well executed :clap:

Big - like the weirdness of the first (lamp post) and the jaunty angle of the second (bridge). All in all, two good shots with good technicals. I like that you thought about the issues you faced with the first and decided to get around the problem with clever use of PP. It works and far better than a SOOC, I suspect.

Balance is a toughie. I like what you're thinking, but feel as if something has been left behind in the actual capture? To be honest, the sky is really not helping you and the overcast lighting is so diffuse, it's hard to get much contrast and texture in things. Is there any way you could return and get it at sunrise/sunset? Alternatively, a blue hour shot would be interesting...

Balance I think the sky is entirely suitable here.

Sure a sunset or rise could also give a great shot, but this one works here.

Given the obvious restrictiosn in POV and lighting being pretty much entirely out of your control, I think you've got a commendable shot here.

Hi, time is short, I'm afraid...:(

Balances, on theme and a cracking sculpture. Looks a bit like a composite though. Just the edges look a little strange :thinking:

Cheers.

I prefer the full length statue and sky in #1, but somehow the length of wall on the LH side looks a bit superfluous and I wonder whether a square crop would be better?

I prefer the full length statue and sky in #1, but somehow the length of wall on the LH side looks a bit superfluous and I wonder whether a square crop would be better?
Sorry, that should have been RH side :confused:

Hi Colin :)

Another quick catch up :)

Sparkle - Nice idea, I like the PP, but would prefer the crystal a bit sharper personally :)

Fall - Definitely the first one for me, the second is a good idea, but the hand needs to be sharp for this to work for me... The first sums the autumn up just fine :)

Communicate - I again prefer the first shot, although i like the phone I'm not keen on the crop, the first is just right for todays communication methods

Dark - Real nice idea, I like this one, not so sure on the crop, but love the concentration and the glow from the tablet on her face (y)

Big - OOoooo I'm really liking the first one, looks quite surreal to me, a real nice effect you have there !!!!

Back