weekly Greengo's 52 in 2014 - BALANCE now added

good perspective on the whisk - have to agree with you that B&W would probably be the only way to go here. nice light catching on the curves though (y)

regards the trinket box... nice colours and textures in the sides, another thumbs down for the front section I'm afraid.... I think its that the two sides receding away from you , but as there's two of them, the point of focus comes back to the middle of them, wher your shot is OOF.

Same shot but focus point on the front would work better I think

Love your B&W images especially the bride and Guinness the one with the shalow dof is my fav

I agree that mono was the way to go with the whisk, it gives it a cooler grittier feel. As mentioned, would be nice to see what a bit of a crop looks like? :thinking:

Hi ya

well spotted opportunity with the whisk...mono works well & you've used DOF wisely to concentrate the eye on the twisty bits (y) ps.....the whisk needs to be 100% straight on....it's slightly on the squiff.....smidge of a cw rotation would have done the trick :coat:

twisted... I maybe going against the grain here...I actually don;t mind the front being oof on this shoot , possibly because the in focus parts are mirror imaged (y) The niggle for me is the line running across the back....if that was dead level it would be better.....

Hi Colin :)

Sorry... looks like I am miles behind :(

Nature - For me it's the 1st image with the full flower, the crop is nice, but the full image has a more pleasing DoF, both well lit, great detail and of course good theme wise :)

Action - A great idea, but there seems to be some odd shadows ?? good composition, and liking the square crop !!

Mono - Mmmmmmmm Guinness :pompous: ... the flash in the first one is a bit distracting but a great smile on her face, the crop on the second is more pleasing to my eye although slightly clipping her face, DoF on the second has it again for me, over all both shots are a great idea, and the second just pips it (y)

Twisted - Hahahaaaaa I'm glad to have had a positive effect on your shots :D ... Of these two the trinket box is the clear winner for me, not so sure on the DoF, but excellent detail and well lit, nice colours too :)

I really like the first mono, it could just do without as much flash bouncing off the rear wall.

Excellent idea though.

Strangely, I like the whisk shot.

Hi Colin, my vote would go to the whisk shot for twisted.
B&W certainly does the simple subject justice. I like the recession of focus into the handle, it concentrates the viewers eye on the main focal point. (y)

The bride with the Guinness is a fantastic idea.. and I absolutely love the idea, the outstretched hand and the smile in the first..

DOF is perfect, and I hate myself for saying this, but the arm a bit, just a tiny bit, to the left would have given us all of her face, both eyes and all of her lovely smile, as well as possibly masking some of the flash bounce of the wall behind her.

Having said that, it still is good, just so close to being great. Blacks and white in that one are perfect.

this sums it up perfectly really helpful feedback :clap:

Fresh had me thinking all week... then it rained... boo... I dont do wet equipment...
Thought about "Fresh" ground coffee beans and I was thinking about a composition when the rain stopped. We have some nice poppy's growing now and I went out with camera in hand and caught some "fresh" drops of rain...
C&C always welcome...
View attachment 10999

Lets try the Flickr linky thingy...

Fresh 3 by BigGreengo, on Flickr

And my final entry a lovely big blob of fresh rain

Fresh 2 by BigGreengo, on Flickr

#1 looks rather underexposed, or underlit.......

#2 of the bright poppy is good, on the poppy itself no faults at all, just the background and composition not working that well for me, the white part to the left, and the stem of another plant to its right are the main offenders. move the stem out the way, and step round to your left would have put the poppy against the nice dark BG, to really set off the bright orange.

Actually on 2nd look big on flickr, the white to the left I can live with, but that stem really bugs me!

#3 I really like, nice light on the leaves, great cuyrvey shape and a trio of water droplets to set it off

I like #3 better than the others. All look a little dark :thinking: but good detail and nice greens.

I feel getting closer in #3 would take it up a few levels....or even a crop.

Cheers.

This is an idea that works well for the theme, had the very same one myself.

First works better for me too with the colour and the warmth and the faded, aged look to the pages.

Lighting is really good and forms the heart shaped shadow perfectly.

Only suggestion would be the page you have it open at, for me there should be a relevant, obvious word. Here I am picking out 'otter' as the most prominent. :D

Last edited:
Hi Colin....well done for this one, I'm sure it's not easy to get it spot on which you have done, I prefer the first one too, with the softer lighting. Only crit as above, it would have been good to perhaps choose a more relevant word...although I did notice osculate...definition 'kiss' :)

Hi Colin :)

Fresh - Some lovely detail in them macro shots, my fav by miles is the third one, great drops of water and bang on DoF (y)

Shape - Torn between the two here... super idea, I like the first composition but it's a tad tight at the top and agree the vignette is a bit too heavy, but I like the colour and detail on the second.... Soooo the second for me, with a hint of the first :)

sky remote works better than the phones for me, phone needs a bit more light on the digital one really.

one thing I might suggest is to have had the focus point a bit further into the remote, to allow you to get all of the "numbers" to fall within the in-focus area.

I really like the phones. Good composition and dof and I think the subtle lighting adds more interest to an everyday subject. For me, the Sky remote is just a Sky remote and all I want to do is pick it up and change channels, but I really want to look at the phones :)

Last edited:
Hi, :agree: with Susie, not the most exciting pics, but potential there for something else

Colin, shape is an excellent idea, clever thinking. 1st with the slight warm feel to the pages works for me (y) not a lover of the vignette, but think it suits the image, well done :clap:

Sky remote, good use of dof, as mentioned by Graham, possibly focus on the 5 instead of the 8 :thinking: certainly works for the theme (y)

As already mentioned again, the phones have potential :)

Hi Colin

of the Frsh images I think I prefer the final one ( hosta leaf ? ) simply due to the droplet being so sharp (y)

The poppy has potential but needs to po a little more as it's such a super color . Similar thoughts to Graham , but the stem doesn't bother me so much as the white wall......

Shape.......gonna be awkward here....I like the mono pp of the 2nd one but the POV of the 1st....this is one of those shots that ,although done a lot , everyone seems to produce a slightly different take on it...I like your take on it (y)

NUmbers.....Phones image for me....I like the contrast between old & new style , composition kinda appelas but it does need some more light on the digital phone :)

Back