weekly Greengo's 52 in 2014 - BALANCE now added

Hi, Shape #2 for me. It has a sinister feel to it and I like the processing. I did wonder what a sleuth crop would look like but I'm OK with it as it. Good show.

Numbers #1 for me. Well composed and good detail.

Cheers.

Hi Colin, I like the first one of your numbers more - the remote. I like its colour and its DOF.
However I do like the composition of the second in that you have old and new in the same photo.

Struggled this week with Strong/Strength...
Wanted to go into a local Gym and actually asked for permission to do so but got some strange looks from those inside so decided against it... Strong men against someone armed with a DSLR is not a fair argument lol...
So strong got me thinking of my favourite drink... aside from Whiskey I do like a nice strong cup of coffee... Was out for a walk and came across this little vendor and decided to take a few pics...
Nothing spectacular for me this week as I originally said I struggled but captured at least one shot anyways...
"Strong" coffee
View attachment 12637

If I were to be so bold I'd try my hand with a "Strong" Sunset also...
View attachment 12638

The coffee shots a good idea Colin, the natural light hitting the cup and the reflection behind it works well (y)

Composition's a little too central on the subject and it does look a bit blurred......:thinking:....could that be more down to being hand held and too slower shutter speed?

I can see the exif so aren't sure :)

Good colour in the sunset (y)

Composition's a little too central on the subject and it does look a bit blurred......:thinking:....could that be more down to being hand held and too slower shutter speed?

Its on my Flickr account... and just noticed that yeah it was blurry when I zoomed in... appologies... :confused:
Here is a better version that isnt as blurry...
Strong Coffee 2 by BigGreengo, on Flickr

the second one is much improved, a lot sharper and better white balance. the comp has been mentioned but think it could be improved a little bit with a crop on the to and right hand side to get rid of the distracting bits. I feel your pain when you draw a blank, that was me last week :banghead:, post and move on.

Edit strong for me. Good detail, in focus :) and once muted colours. I'd like a slightly different composition, bit tighter with all the buttons at the top in the frame.

Cheers.

2nd for me, detail is nice
the second one is much improved, a lot sharper and better white balance. the comp has been mentioned but think it could be improved a little bit with a crop on the to and right hand side to get rid of the distracting bits. I feel your pain when you draw a blank, that was me last week :banghead:, post and move on.

:agree:

Hi Colin, second one of the coffee cup gets my vote too (y)
Agree with the others that I feel a crop is required, if it were mine, I'd be tempted to crop from the left hand side, down just to the left of the cup and crop the writing away from above.

Appologies for my late entry although I syuppose its still within deadline.
Couple of entries for me this week for "TEXTURE".
I was at a birthday party at the weekend and seen these lovely old keys hanging up and though the rough texture of rust etc on them would fit the theme... There may be a bit of noise as I had to whack up the iso to get my pic...
Texture by BigGreengo, on Flickr

Out to my garage this evening and noticed an old pair of gloves which have seen better days but the texture on them stood out for me... Not a magical shot but I was trying to focus on the texture... cropped in PP to help reduce background stuff...
Texture 1 by BigGreengo, on Flickr

Out into the garden where my lovely wife has been tending these Arum Lily's for the past couple of years... a wicked crop to show the texture of the stamen with added rain fall to boot...
Texture 2 by BigGreengo, on Flickr

And finally this little dead bee or wasp I cant decide. I was trying to get the focus onto the texture of its fine wings... Its sitting on a small mirror hence the green line above it...
Bee Texture by BigGreengo, on Flickr

As always C&C always welcome...

The keys are the pick of the bunch for me Colin. The position Of the lighting shows off the texture perfectly and I like the central comp too. The mono conversion really helps with the rustic feel too.

... love the coffee machine pic (2nd one) ... wonderful lighting.

Keys for me to Colin, good texture as they look rusty (y) shadows a bit strong for me and clipped at the bottom :)

HI ya

The Lily shot for me , I just love Arum Lily's......like the angle , the detail & that the staemen is in focus & adds a nice splash of color :clap: Could maybe do with a smidge of brightening in pp ?

Your edit of Strong works well , vibrant colors ,sharp with some good sidelighting.... different take on theme which works well , also you've managed to avoid any real highlights which can prove difficult on shiny surfaces :clap:

HI ya

The Lily shot for me , I just love Arum Lily's......like the angle , the detail & that the staemen is in focus & adds a nice splash of color :clap: Could maybe do with a smidge of brightening in pp ?

Your edit of Strong works well , vibrant colors ,sharp with some good sidelighting.... different take on theme which works well , also you've managed to avoid any real highlights which can prove difficult on shiny surfaces :clap:

:agree:

Wild for me was a struggle as was the fact that I have been working non stop since last Friday...
My take on the theme was that associated with card games... some people have Jacks are wild and others who refer to the "Twos" call it Deuces wild... So with that in mind I dug out an old set of poker chips etc and tried for a dcent composition...
First up is one with SC in PP...

View attachment 13843

Then I tried with colour only trying to focus on the Two card to draw attention to the fact that the game was about deuces being "WILD"
View attachment 13844

As always C&C most welcome...

Hi, nice idea for the theme, think I prefer the colour version though the composition needs a little work, the cards need to be more to the bottom right with all of them in view:thinking:

Action - As you say - thinking outside the box. A good take on the theme. An added value would have been something in the background rather than it being plain

Mono - #1 for me. Good use of a white dress with the blackness of the Guinness

Twisted - #1 again for me. The use of the shallow DoF helps bring attention to the foreground twists

Fresh - #2 this time. Looks to have been a pretty flat lighting day so the colour of the poppy has helped

Shape - A classic shot although I've yet to try it. Not being keen on white vignettes I naturally go for the mono shot which I thinks works well

Number – #1 is similar to the whisk shot and again makes effective use of the DoF

Strong – There's some lovely colours in #2 but it screams needing a much better foreground I'm afraid. The coffee shot is much better (especially the non-blurry one)

Texture – Very nice mono that really shows the textures in those old keys. Nice subject.

Wild - Another shallow and effective DoF shot. I prefer the full colour version although a minor crit would be to iron the table cloth.

Hi Colin :)

Numbers - The second one really doesn't work for me, mainly because of the composition, but given you stated rush job - nough said... the first image however works fine, the depth of field saves it, was thinking the light was a bit low, but then thought it looks more natural and u-nstaged as is :)

Strength - Wish i had thought of this, I love the metalic look of your edited coffee shot, the sunrise has great colours, but for me the coffe machine with the spash of red in the reflection is the clear winner, would i change anything, probably not - nine one (y)

Texture - Another set of good images, the clear winner for me is the keys... The fly shot I like other than the green patch, i'd like to see a cloned copy, the flower shot is good too, but the composition and processing of the keys with the shadows makes this my top shot with ease some lovely detail :clap:

Wild - I'm going to have to say.... I really like the selective colour :whistle: It didn't register to be at first that it was, until I see the second shot, comparing the two side by side, I prefer the not so vivid look of the first, again a great take on the theme (y)

HI Colin

1st version for me , doesn't really scream SC ,subtle is good :) I would be tempted to crop almost to the base of the rh cards as the empty space with lines in it doesn't seem to add much ( but what do I know about card games/poker table's ! ) I would also mention the ruck in the material on the lhs....more noticeable where it goes through the white line

Post and be dammed they said... Well a late entry for me from last weeks theme - "Dream/Dreamy"
This is an old photo that I took last year. Who hasnt heard of counting sheep to fall into a nice deep sleep where you can "DREAM" the night away...
Thats my excuse anyway...
Dont expect much C&C this week... I just want to stay up to date...

View attachment 14423

My take on "VERTICAL"
This week the Clipper round the world yacht race reached my home town of Derry... Plenty of boats around but this one caught my eye when I thought of Vertical...
View attachment 14698

I also noticed a row of Vertical bollards which ran in a nice line away from the line of the eye so thought it would count also...

View attachment 14699

C&C always welcome...

Hi Colin - sorry catching up with comments on your thread...

Strong: first pic looks a bit OOF to me but I like the idea a lot. I like the sunset and silhouette, but I feel the latter tends to work better if there's a single clean object being silhouetted... but that might just be me!

Second Strong coffee shot is loads better although remains a bit "busy". What is strong here? If it's the coffee, I'd prefer the shot to focus more on that, rather than the reflection of the barista, the spatula thing etc. But that might be me being picky ;)

Texture: I like the keys a lot. It would be interesting to compare the shot you have with one where the shadow is fully in frame, but your crop may well work better.
I also like the gloves - I think that screams texture. The flower is pretty and a nicely executed shot but doesn't suit the theme as well IMO. Likewise the insect which, again, is a well-executed image.

Wild: your SC shot is fantastic. There isn't a thing which I would wish to crit on that and I'd be delighted with that shot! Colour is good, but you can't improve the SC version IMO.

Dream: it is funny because just before the theme was picked someone (??) said they were off to Wales and was hoping for a coastal-based theme. When Dream came up I immediately thought of them and they're perfectly placed to take a shot of counting sheep! You beat them to it ;) I like your shot and the sunset is a nice touch. I do find their eyes rather disturbing though - more of a nightmare for me!

Vertical: love the ship shot. I'm guessing you've pulled the luminance of the blue channel down (or is that a filter)? It's what I do a lot on skies and I like the effect.
I also like the bollard shot - which is a combination of vertical (the bollard itself) and horizontal / curved - the path taken by the row of bollards. Nice touch. Not sure the tree/yellow lines help but not much you can do about that!

Good images and I love the Wild one in particular!

Hi Colin .... I like the idea of counting sheep for dream :)

I really like the masts for vertical.... lucky you catching the race, they look excellent against that lovely sky. I think the second one is great for the theme too, I like the POV, a nice sharp image too, well spotted with that one.

Hi Colin :)

Dreamy - Looks more like Zombie sheep to me :wideyed: ... shot in, and move on, perfect for a re-shoot week as you say

Vertical - I like the Bollards shot, shame about the yellow lines, was it a busy road or could you have walked into the road a bit more to take a different angle ?? ... any way, my choice is the Ship masts, certainly vertical, a real nice sky and like how you have just the masts... nice image :)

YUM... so you think of food... and you think of eating food... I was at my cousins wedding yesterday and she married a comic nut. He loves his superhero's lol...
This was their wedding cake... I thought it would fit the theme on two counts... 1 being that it was cake and two because the characters all represented the top table at the wedding sitting ready to dine...
Hope you like them...
This is the cake...
View attachment 15160

This was a shot using DOF on the bride & groom...
View attachment 15161

Brilliant cake!

For me, the best photo is definitely the second... they look ready to eat so it certainly still qualifies for Yum for me. You could make tweak the angle a touch and then crop out the distractions at the very top (triangle) of the frame without losing batman's ears... DOF is fine, but I find the very last namecard being in focus a bit distracting (I realise it's because of the angles and where the focal plane is).

Lighting and PP works well, too - great capture.

Hi Colin

Vertical....the bollards shot catch's my eye , the yellow lines take me through the image, DOF is great & the muted colors work well :clap: Little niggles....I'd maybe have cropped right to the edge of the lh bollard to help lose the parked car & possibly pulled a little more detail back in the blacks to lift them a smidge....

YUm.....I admire people who can make things like this...the 2nd shot works better for me , I like the angle & the DOF(y) Maybe a little more light across the whole image to make it brighter though as it seems a little dark ?
The bigger picture of the cake is a great record shot but the harsh light ( presumably flash?) lets it down a little

Last edited:
Back