weekly Hertsman's 2016 TP52 - Celebrate added and finish.

Nice detail on these as said above - I like David's advice about filling the frame - I wouldn't have thought of that. The light tents look interesting too - might save a lot of faffing with moving furniture and balancing fabrics as the nights draw in.

Hi there, definitely the second nail varnish shot, smashing reflection and patterns, it works really well.

The Pistachio nuts are perfect for the theme, but my OCD keeps wanting to get rid of those bits on the black background.

There's always a reshoot for the chocolate egg ...shots that involve chocolate are definitely the best :)

Hi Mark
Liquid3 by a long way. The texture and depth of colour in the split nail varnish is excellent. :clap:
Cracked - Seems well taken but I'm afraid the nut shots don't do anything for me.

Nice detail on these as said above - I like David's advice about filling the frame - I wouldn't have thought of that. The light tents look interesting too - might save a lot of faffing with moving furniture and balancing fabrics as the nights draw in.

Thanks Em - frame filler would have worked better I agree.

Hi there, definitely the second nail varnish shot, smashing reflection and patterns, it works really well.

The Pistachio nuts are perfect for the theme, but my OCD keeps wanting to get rid of those bits on the black background.

There's always a reshoot for the chocolate egg ...shots that involve chocolate are definitely the best :)

The bits are dust from the shells,I cloned loads out, but the black really shows them badly.

Nice lighting and overall.

I'd prefer either a much shallower DOF or much wider DOF.

Cheers.
I think the actual angle of the pile is what spoils the image.

Hi Mark
Liquid3 by a long way. The texture and depth of colour in the split nail varnish is excellent. :clap:
Cracked - Seems well taken but I'm afraid the nut shots don't do anything for me.

Thanks! Im happy ish with the varnish, but the more I look at the nuts, the more I want to re shoot it tbh...

There is nothing wrong with the shot Mark, it's just the subject matter isn't something I can get excited about. Cracked was a sod of a theme :runaway:

Agreed, its just nagging me as it want my intented image - I saw the nuts and thought Oh yeah....

My original idea revolved around a 12 inch circle of thin ice......... which I still havnt yet used...

Not my finest work, granted. I planeed to reshoot cracked using ice circles but the idea didnt pan out sadly.

spooky by Mark P, on Flickr

Nice one ... funny in its simplicity ... though it probably took some time getting an interesting light source and doing the cut-out.

Great idea, nice colours from the light, and the cut-out isn't done too badly either

Ha ha ... very artistic. I like the lighting with the vibrancy of colour. Very effective Mark.

Hi Mark,
Simple but effective. Good use the rule of thirds composition, certinaly much better than a central comp.
You may not think it one of your best, but to me it's a prime example of less is more.

Struggled with this one tbh....

Choice of two.

Let me know what you think please guys.....

ps - didnt realise just how dusty he was until afterwards... (shame)

pose pp-2
by Mark P, on Flickr

pose pp by Mark P, on Flickr

Last edited:
ps - didnt realise just how dusty he was until afterwards... (shame)
He needs to get driving and blow the dust off :D
Lizard for me Mark

Gecko, please Cobra.....

My female Phelsuma Grandis (Giant Madagascan Day Gecko) taken this morning.....

I have a breeding pair and currently have a week old hatchling thats unbelievably cute !

Took me a while but yes the stig it is. An interesting idea, I noticed his right shoe cropped before I noticed the dust. Worth a reshoot?(y)

Reptiles, I guess, photograph well. That one's a beaut. (y)

The Stig for Pose is a better fit for the theme I think Mark - just back from a rally ...... obviously. Smoke is well taken (definitely not easy to do) and adds that element of drama and mystery. The Phelsuma Grandis makes an excellent model - nicely taken, beautiful creature. Congratulations on the addition.

Took me a while but yes the stig it is. An interesting idea, I noticed his right shoe cropped before I noticed the dust. Worth a reshoot?(y)

Reptiles, I guess, photograph well. That one's a beaut. (y)

Sadly, he has avery large and clumpy base, hwich iois the reason for the crop. I was hoping the msoke and mirrors trick would detract from that... ;)

The Stig for Pose is a better fit for the theme I think Mark - just back from a rally ...... obviously. Smoke is well taken (definitely not easy to do) and adds that element of drama and mystery. The Phelsuma Grandis makes an excellent model - nicely taken, beautiful creature. Congratulations on the addition.

I was in that mind myself Crl, but I saw her that morning and thought it looked quite posy.... Thanks for the compliments.

Yep lizard for me too, though I like the idea of the first shot with the dust, he needs to be sparkling for sure, lovely detail and colour of the lizard too, nice sparkle to the eye :)

Thanks DK

Really hard to choose Mark as I really like them both. Love the mysterious smoke effect on the B&W, but your ghekko is such a beauty, wonderful colour and bright eyed. How nice to have a baby one.

Thanks Susie, the Gecko is my female and I have a pair.They really are stunning creatures and greta fun to watch.

Sooo torn.
Loving The Stig in the smoke / steam, but also loving the colours of the Gecko.
Nope, can't choose.

Glad it wasnt just me then ! I shot Stig as my pic but I saw her posing like this that morning and just grabbed my camera - like you do !

Your spooky shot is great fun and I love the colour of the bg. The smoke around the Stig worked really well too, but the gecko is my absolute favourite. Amazing colours and so sharp!

Thanks Em. Altho I felt Spooky was a quick throwaway, Im actually pretty pleased with it.
The smoke for the Stig came from my other halves e cig - they are perfect for that kind of thing !

Meh,couldnt get a feel for this one at all. Not feeling great as full of cold.
Anyways...

Giant Gecko seen on the NEWS......

News pp by Mark P, on Flickr

Oh dear! lol :D

Yep, me too Mark - full of cold. Hope you shake it off soon. Gekko is good and on theme (like your live one best).

Nice idea, I like the play on words and you have captured the shiny gecko well.

Hahaaaaa nice one :D
Cheers DK

Oh dear! lol :D
I know....

Yep, me too Mark - full of cold. Hope you shake it off soon. Gekko is good and on theme (like your live one best).
Thanks Carl

Groan...
Nice colours, though the photo news does seem a bit washed out (but I don't know if that's what it looks like).
Good use of the diagonal lines.
Photographically, I know its poor. Had to use flash and couldnt balance the colours vey well in PP. The Gecko is actually quite a dark green so I had to lift that which I think washed the paper out.

Nice idea, I like the play on words and you have captured the shiny gecko well.
Thank you

Random...but made me smile :) Hope you're soon on the mend!
Good and thanks Em

:eek:

Made me chuckle.

Cheers.

Get well soon (y)
Ta !

never heard of photography news seems to be popular with reptiles though and you said mine was a little odd :wacky::p:D

its hard isn't it

The Stig for the pose for me. And the gecko for the news, since we have no choice there :)

Back