weekly Hertsman's 2016 TP52 - Celebrate added and finish.

On theme, nice edit. Scott Kelby calls it 'border patrol' when you visually check the edges of the frame before clicking the shutter to ensure nowt is straying into the frame.

Liking the shallow DOF.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, I must admit, its something I need to get better at, particularly when shooting buildings.....

Right on theme, nicely captured and nice DoF.

Hi Mark,
Pair - A good couple of top fuel rears there. Not so sure about the dutch angle.
Big - I guess you're working with what you have available, but cropping the chap on the right's head and shoulders kind of jars. Two seconds later and he'd have been gone (but would there have been someone else?).
It could probably also do with a degree or two rotation to the left (maybe not - the telegraph pole in the distance looks vertical).
So it was Poddington then... I miss being able to stand in the shed behind the start line.
After - Works well for the theme, nicely sharp and nicely blurred out background.
The re-edit nails it (y)

Hi Mark,
Pair - A good couple of top fuel rears there. Not so sure about the dutch angle.
Big - I guess you're working with what you have available, but cropping the chap on the right's head and shoulders kind of jars. Two seconds later and he'd have been gone (but would there have been someone else?).
It could probably also do with a degree or two rotation to the left (maybe not - the telegraph pole in the distance looks vertical).
So it was Poddington then... I miss being able to stand in the shed behind the start line.
After - Works well for the theme, nicely sharp and nicely blurred out background.
The re-edit nails it (y)

Thanks Tim.
If Ive learnt anyhting so far doing this, its to actually look beyond the centre of the frame!

Pair - I actually quite like the angle, but can see why others prefer it straight. It was one of those shots when the camera on the floor and you burst and hope you got what you wanted....

Alien has brought out some pretty amusing props.
Nice work, the blue light gives it an eerie feel.
The lighting seems a little odd on the small white alien, he's lit from the right, whereas the light source appears to be from the left.

Thanks Tim.
Torch behind to backlight and OCF about a metre and a half away, room in darkness.
Idea is supposed to mimic moonlight......

It was either this or a pic of a bag of space raiders crisps !

Good shot for the theme. I like the blue in front of the deep black background.

I do like the big fella with the blue rinse - nice lighting. Definitely Alien.

Spent ages on trying to get this right, and still not happy.
Choice of two, your vote says which stays...
Ive been trying to get a pic of a chocolate egg melting into liquid, and its stupidly hard,I have however - eaten lots of chocolate this week !

Prefer the simplicity and colours in this one, but not the lighting.
liquid1 by Mark P, on Flickr

Has the Liquidity I was looking for....
liquid3 by Mark P, on Flickr

Second one for me, I like that the bottle is clearly half empty and the swirls in the nail polish have more of a sense of liquidity for me.

Ive been trying to get a pic of a chocolate egg melting into liquid, and its stupidly hard,I have however - eaten lots of chocolate this week !
How we suffer for our art eh? :D

Second for me too, great patterns in the spillage.

Definitely #2 - like the stripes in the varnish as it's about to drip out of the bottle. Excellent concept and shot.

They do worked and I like the dark background brings out the light colour of the shells.

Liquid, second one for me for the patterns in the liquid

Cracked. not sure on the black BG the top left looks like its floating in id air, but the nuts themselves are well lit, another good idea for the theme

Liquid, second one for me for the patterns in the liquid

Cracked. not sure on the black BG the top left looks like its floating in id air, but the nuts themselves are well lit, another good idea for the theme

Ooh bummer, I see it now. Annoyingly, I reshot it as I used about F11 to start and wasnt happy that the back nuts were OOF.....

Plus Im also not so sure on the black an think white may have worked better.....

But hey, its all a learning curve....

Last edited:
Hi Mark

Liquid ... I love the colour and simplicity of #1 but the marbling and focus of #2.

Cracked ... I struggle with lighting and backgrounds too. Quite a good trick is to get right in there ... fill the frame completely with the subject (pistachios) ... it's effective too.

They do worked and I like the dark background brings out the light colour of the shells.

Thanks Shirley

Hi Mark

Liquid ... I love the colour and simplicity of #1 but the marbling and focus of #2.

Cracked ... I struggle with lighting and backgrounds too. Quite a good trick is to get right in there ... fill the frame completely with the subject (pistachios) ... it's effective too.

Liquid - exactly my thoughts too !

Good idea on filling the frame, Id not thought of that.

I think Im going to buy something like this :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...1_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W57TF952R8HZ4613V3VC

for these smaller indoor type shots.

Any thoughts ?

I'm sometimes dreaming about escaping to the country, having my own studio in an attic or outbuilding with lights and brollies, things I don't currently have room for. In the meantime I'm enjoying getting out & about in London to satisfy my 52 soul.

Hi Mark :)

a couple to catch up from me...

Alien - Nice colours and a good black background too

Liquid - A couple of nice examples, the first one is lovely and vivid, but for me the second has a more pleasing composition, that with the texture of the of the fluid makes it my pic, nicely lined up label too :)

Split - A real nice choice for the theme, the background looks a tad dusty but really well lit shells and nuts, dealt with well considering the big contrast :)

The pistachios work well, nice sharp details.

Thanks DK...
Im well pleased with Alien as it was planned.
The Liquid shots - I realised after the first bottle that more detail was required, and so bought Metallic varnish....
Cracked - not really planned, as I have a 12 inch circle of ice in the freezer that I was going to use, but I saw them in Tesco and thougth what the hell.

Thing I like about this 52 thing is having to actually think about a pic before taking it, and then learning rom your mistakes. I think Ive learnt more in the past few weeks than I have in three or four years tbh.

Thing I like about this 52 thing is having to actually think about a pic before taking it, and then learning rom your mistakes. I think Ive learnt more in the past few weeks than I have in three or four years tbh.
It does push you, if you want to be pushed (y)

Nice detail in the nuts Mark ...
( not the sort of thing you want to hear in a Gents though :D )

It does push you, if you want to be pushed (y)

Nice detail in the nuts Mark ...
( not the sort of thing you want to hear in a Gents though :D )

Cobra, I bet you have never txt your other half "Please dont forget my nail varnish love"......

!!!!!!!!

Lovely shot and on theme. Composition wise I'm not sure about the top left and bottom right nuts they seem to be slightly 'detached' from the 'group'.

Agreed! Or the black background....

Its not my best work,but Ive learnt from it!

If I shot it agin, Id use a white BG and fill thr frame....

Back