weekly Hertsman's 2016 TP52 - Celebrate added and finish.

never heard of photography news seems to be popular with reptiles though and you said mine was a little odd :wacky::p:D

its hard isn't it

Lols....

The Stig for the pose for me. And the gecko for the news, since we have no choice there :)

Thanks B. As I said earlier, Stig was shot for the purpose, Mrs Gecko was a grab that I liked and shared....

Catch up for me this week after LR issues. Not overly impressed, but time is short as Ive been working/busy last couple of weekends and I wanted to get back on track.

Young..... 5 week old Giant Day Gecko. Currently about an inch long. Adults are about 12 inches.
Yellowness is caused by Geckos being Heliocentric and constantly basking under a sunlamp. This little guy is very skittish and I had to move the lamp to get a half decent pic of him.

Young by Mark P, on Flickr

Culture....d pearls.

Culture...d pearls..... by Mark P, on Flickr

Araange...d in size order

Arranged.... by Mark P, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great sharp and colourful picture of the young gecko!
The pearls don't work for me, it's too busy in my opinion.
Very clean and simple picture for arranged, well lit.

Colourful little character and only an inch long!! Unusual choice for pearls, didn't even think of that but obvious now that you've posted. My fave of the set has to be Arranged though - all that sharp detail, texture and rust on display.

Hi Mark,

Young - Nice bit of colour matching, the stone complements the Gecko well.

Culture - Must not write about n***l***s, this is a family thread ;) Works for me, I can see detail in the focused pearls and a nice use of shallow DoF.

Arranged - Are they Snap-on? I like that image (and wish my sockets were in as good condition).

Great colour and detail in that Young gecko ... interesting BG there too.

Great sharp and colourful picture of the young gecko!
The pearls don't work for me, it's too busy in my opinion.
Very clean and simple picture for arranged, well lit.

Thanks Brrnd,

Colourful little character and only an inch long!! Unusual choice for pearls, didn't even think of that but obvious now that you've posted. My fave of the set has to be Arranged though - all that sharp detail, texture and rust on display.

Cheers Carl, it does feel a little contrived if Im honest, so Im happy if anyone likes it tbh.

Hi Mark,

Young - Nice bit of colour matching, the stone complements the Gecko well.

Culture - Must not write about n***l***s, this is a family thread ;) Works for me, I can see detail in the focused pearls and a nice use of shallow DoF.

Arranged - Are they Snap-on? I like that image (and wish my sockets were in as good condition).

Cheers Tim ,Yep, all my stuff is Snap on from days of working professionally on bikes. Not sure what your greyed out is referring to tho ?

Nice catch up. Three nice photos, and all on theme.

Thanks Clive

I like the pearls, too - good use of dof here. The light reflections are nice in your arranged shot as well.

Em - I spent ages in LR with arranged to try and get the lighting feeling right. I used OCF to light it and obv had some severe flash reflections going on. I still think its a tad sterile if honest.

Great colour and detail in that Young gecko ... interesting BG there too.

Thanks David, I will try and get a better shot, he is very skittish and that shot doesnt do his real colours justice. The BG is the one thats supplied with the viv and is just painted/contoured styrene.
Ordinarily, in a show viv, you would plant very heavily for natrual looks, cover, and to hide this, but the babies are in a nursery viv so aesthetics arnt crucial.

Hi Mark, considering your gekko is only an inch long I think that's a great shot, it shows lots of detail. I like the pearls, the close up works well. But my favourite is Arranged, the angle works really well, spot on choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie

That's a powerful image, a serious boot with a contrasting female shoe. (y)

Excellent take Mark - like the contrast between the heavy workboot and the petite and delicate ladies shoe.

No shoe horn required ( :D ) for that image Mark. (y)

I had something very similar in mind myself, great minds think alike! Nicely done

Great idea and very well executed! My only criticism would be that you probably have moved the shoes around, which has left marks on the background...

Thats a great idea and works really well for the theme

Thanks Allan

That's a powerful image, a serious boot with a contrasting female shoe. (y)

Exactly the effect I wanted...

Excellent take Mark - like the contrast between the heavy workboot and the petite and delicate ladies shoe.

Thankls Carl

No shoe horn required ( :D ) for that image Mark. (y)

Hi Mark,
Works really well, highlighting the difference in both form & function of the male and female shoe.
(y)

Indeed. Thanks Tim

I had something very similar in mind myself, great minds think alike! Nicely done

What did you have in mind ?

Nice idea, I can tell who the hard worker in your house.

Dont tell her that !

Great idea and very well executed! My only criticism would be that you probably have moved the shoes around, which has left marks on the background...

Cheers. You are quite right, my backgrounds are getting tired and in need of a fresh. I did notice the marks - after - I uploaded to Flickr.....Grr.

I do like a walk by the canals and must get a trip on a canal boat sometimes.

Not keen on the foliage on the FG, but it's a well spotted submission.

Colour version available?

Cheers.

I love the tranquility of walking along a tow path - nice choice for Out & About Mark.

I do like a walk by the canals and must get a trip on a canal boat sometimes.

Not keen on the foliage on the FG, but it's a well spotted submission.

Colour version available?

Cheers.

I initially liked the foliage, as I thought it added foreground interest, but now I see that it detracts..... Obviously have it in color, but the light was terrible an it looks really wrong regardless of pp - hence the grainy B&w.....

I love the tranquility of walking along a tow path - nice choice for Out & About Mark.

Thanks Carl. It was certainly very quiet - mainly because it was colder than it looked I think !

I think the foliage in the foreground distracts a bit, but great processing that gives the photo an "old" feel. I don't think your horizon is perfectly straight...

Agree with the above especially the foliage but definitely out and about

I think the foliage in the foreground distracts a bit, but great processing that gives the photo an "old" feel. I don't think your horizon is perfectly straight...

Agree with the above especially the foliage but definitely out and about

Thanks guys, always a school day....

I spent to long looking at the side path making sure it had nice leading in lines, completely missed the horizon.

May have a re edit later this week.....

Hi Mark,
There is something about canals and barges that just work with b&w processing, I gues it's because they are from another era. It's a bit of a shame they are obviously pleasure craft, rather than original motors and buttys, but then how often do you actually see real historic boats on the canals?
Brnnd says your horizon may be wonky. I don't see it myself, the edge of the lock gate seems vertical to me.

last one of this year, so looking forward to doing a full 52 next year....
LOL very good Mark, well thought out and presented :)

Well done Mark .... love the composition and a nice humorous one to finish on. Now for 2017 !!!!

Ive been thinking about getting some of these for while, but the real lego figures go for silly money. My cracking wife saw these in b+m and bought them for xmas for me.....Im sure youll get tired of them next eyar !

LOL very good Mark, well thought out and presented :)
Cheers Chris....

:) Love this one Mark ...a perfect choice to finish on.
Thank yuo Susie

Well done Mark .... love the composition and a nice humorous one to finish on. Now for 2017 !!!!

Thanks Carl

I just love that last one Mark, looks a scrummy mince pie too :) - see you in the 2017 threads (y)

Cheers Dean... onwards and upwards eh ?

Back