In car Long exposure

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
First time at trying something like this, taken a while ago, any idea on how to make the dash sharp? I'm guessing a smooth road would help?

4864567446_9e58c602e6_z.jpg

4864564908_b78262ef2f_z.jpg

Prefer the second one as the clocks are in focus although would of been better on a busier road.

How did you fix the camera in the car?

That's well impressive to say that it's just a tripod propped into the back. I'm definitely going to give this a try.

The only criticism I have is that the street lighting is very yellow. I'd probably try a road with the whiter lights. Good results though especially with the 2nd shot

Drive much slower - many rig shots, in car our outside, are done with the car barely moving (often pushed!). Smooth roads/surfaces help massively, and manually focus a few test shots first, to pick out the areas inside the car that you want to remain as sharp as possible. Here's one of mine from a few years back: Gorillapod mounted on the wing mirror, off camera flash, and speed below 3 mph!

5177892777_35df0aec8c_d.jpg

Drive much slower - many rig shots, in car our outside, are done with the car barely moving (often pushed!). Smooth roads/surfaces help massively,

Yep, I was on a shoot once with a Porsche 959 and Ferrari 288GTO, we pushed the Ferrari up and down as the fuel tank had sprung a leak en-route chucking fuel onto the hot exhausts. Unfortunately we were on a busy section of the North Yorkshire Moors, the puzzled looks on the bus passengers faces was priceless :LOL:

nice
well IS on your camera lens could help... or prop it on the seat corner
how long is your exposure? the seat corner would absorb some of the vibrations
or put your tripod on some cushions :p

Drive much slower - many rig shots, in car our outside, are done with the car barely moving (often pushed!). Smooth roads/surfaces help massively, and manually focus a few test shots first, to pick out the areas inside the car that you want to remain as sharp as possible. Here's one of mine from a few years back: Gorillapod mounted on the wing mirror, off camera flash, and speed below 3 mph!

(y) Lotus Elise

Sorry what does IS mean?

Image stabilisation - some lenses have it to reduce camera shake. IS I believe is the Canon type? VR is the Nikon (and Tamron/Sigma have their own names for it as well).

Gorillapod on the wing mirror.. will have to give that a try!

Managed to get out and get a few pictures, the ones in my car aren't very good as there's not enough space in the back, my mums car is a bit bigger.

6190083658_27bce81e31_z.jpg

6190082810_c9c9eb6993_z.jpg

6189564281_b82e4b0a9a_z.jpg

6189560993_fe31332637_z.jpg

Need to have a proper go at it some time, it was just a quick go whilst going out.

Thanks

OP - third one of your recent attempts is nice and smooth, just needed to be lower so you could see out. If you can't adjust your tripod enough, look at mounts like the Gorillapod or Delkin Fat Gecko, or just handhold with the camera braced against the side window/ headrest. It's true that lots of rig shots are made at very slow speed but with a stable tripod or a short-arm mount you shouldn't really have to worry about how fast/ slow the car's moving.

I don't have any IS lenses but FWIW I hear they work best with long exposures when IS is off.

This first image of mine has got a montage of shots showing the tripod, camera and flash set-up used to achieve the main pic- my lens is a 10-20mm so if your lens is not that wide you may need to adjust your tripod position to accommodate (or buy a shiny new lens). The rest are just examples of how varied you can go with camera position.

Handheld:

Squat tripod in footwell:

Fat Gecko on door:

Fat Gecko behind headrest:

Homemade mount (not recommended) on bonnet:

Martyn - love the light on your face in that one you posted.

I'd be sooooo scared that Fat Geko would come off and over a grands worth of gear ending up looking like a Watch Makers junk box! Awesome shots AWN!

I normally have the camera strap hanging around a windscreen wiper, door mirror, headrest or whatever. Failing that I just tuck it in the door shut.

Only exception was this, shot from the very back of a Murcielago. I was hiding in the passenger footwell holding a speedlight towards the driver and the only way I knew the camera was still attached was when the flash went off every 15 seconds :LOL:

Back