weekly It is what it is, Sirching for 52/2016 - 52 - Celebrate

I rather like the layers in covered #2, pity there wasn't a nice castle in the FG :)

Cheers.

Covered - I like both shots but the cave entrance, with its different textures is the more interesting of the two for me.

Thanks both, seems to be a fairly even split between the two photos.

Nice contrasts with those greens and greys and yellow and browns Chris. Good composition. :clap:

Nice contrasts with those greens and greys and yellow and browns Chris. Good composition. :clap:

I'm liking the composition too with the rock running through the middle of the bright green grass, nice detail :)

Thanks guys, seeing the other photos for this theme I was wondering if it was colourful enough but I liked that there was a lot of little details to look at.

Hi Chris

I like the idea of the cave entrance, but I find the contrasting lighting all a bit confusing and it pulls my eye all over the place a bit. Not sure what to do here? :thinking:

(Snow) Covered definitely strikes a chord for me - mountains and snow and all that :) Good contrast in the sky and nice layering, but I feel it would perhaps work better with less sky and later evening light?

Colourful - this is a tricky one as it doesn't scream colourful to me and because of the vertical shooting orientation ends up feeling rather flat. I'll be honest, I'm struggling a bit with this one! Sorry for not being more positive, but I try to be honest (in a nice way!)

Hi Chris

I like the idea of the cave entrance, but I find the contrasting lighting all a bit confusing and it pulls my eye all over the place a bit. Not sure what to do here? :thinking:

(Snow) Covered definitely strikes a chord for me - mountains and snow and all that :) Good contrast in the sky and nice layering, but I feel it would perhaps work better with less sky and later evening light?

Colourful - this is a tricky one as it doesn't scream colourful to me and because of the vertical shooting orientation ends up feeling rather flat. I'll be honest, I'm struggling a bit with this one! Sorry for not being more positive, but I try to be honest (in a nice way!)

Thanks Paul, the cave entrance is pretty much body-width wide so with me and a tripod in there positioning a flash was quite interesting. It was a bright sunny day outside so needed quite a bit of light inside. I may well go back when it’s darker outside which will hopefully allow for better lighting (e.g. light painting) inside.

The snow shot – I agree it was the wrong time of day but I wasn’t expecting as much snow and it was really record shot. The foreground was exceedingly dull so I included more sky but yes, I was making the most of what I had.

Colourful – I’m more than happy for people to have different opinions. It’s flat because it was flat, the colours are subtle and personally I like the more you look, the more you see, nature of it

You've taken some very good shots Chris so I hope you don't mind me being honest when something doesn't work as well for me. Photography is always personal and that's why I like to read peoples' different opinions (not just of my photos) - it goes to show how much variety in response and feeling the same picture can elicit from different people.

Keep it up!

I like a bit of texture especially stone while I agree it doesn't scream colourful in a way I am glad there are plenty of gaudy images already, it has definitely got colour, I would probably crop a little of the top too

I like a bit of texture especially stone while I agree it doesn't scream colourful in a way I am glad there are plenty of gaudy images already, it has definitely got colour, I would probably crop a little of the top too
Thanks Allan, not sure about a bit off the top, I've just been having a look by scrolling the page to crop the top and can't see that there is a dramatic difference

Interesting interpretation Chris, and as Susie says, if you look deep enough there are plenty of colours and shades to be had :)

doesn't scream colourful ... not sure what to make of it :thinking: ... hmmm a serious crop maybe?

doesn't scream colourful ... not sure what to make of it :thinking: ... hmmm a serious crop maybe?

You win some, you loose some. I really like the subtle colours amongst the grey-white rock, the sense of optimism of the little mosses growing where there is next to nothing to grow on, the battle between the grass and the bedrock. Thinking about it, I guess my main interest in this challenge (beyond challenging myself photographically) is in how to respond to the theme, a bit like a word association game. As with about 50% of the photos I have submitted for the 52, this wasn't the image I originally thought I would submit and it was actually taken to test exposure settings for some other photos I was taking. Perhaps I should have included an explanation (justification?) with the photo.

Thanks for stopping by to comment David, the above is really a response to all the comments on this photo, not just yours.

Hi Chris,
I like it - to a certain degree, I can understand the comments re colours etc, but then I think if everyone took the 52 themes literally, there'd be a lot more samey, dull subject photos coming out. So I quite like the curve-ball takes, even if they do sometimes need a bit more explanation. (y)

Hi Chris,
I like it - to a certain degree, I can understand the comments re colours etc, but then I think if everyone took the 52 themes literally, there'd be a lot more samey, dull subject photos coming out. So I quite like the curve-ball takes, even if they do sometimes need a bit more explanation. (y)
Thanks Matt.

52-2016-Entrance by TheWub, on Flickr

Not sure why this gate is here, there is an abandoned building a little distance away so it is possibly an entrance to that.

Last edited:
A bit of a mystery Chris - a story to be had methinks. Nicely spotted. Like the decay and nature overtaking.

Yes a good find for the theme. Pretty sharp with good depth.

That is a quite interesting find isn't it, with the barbed wire across the gate itself, yet no fence (at least as far as I could make out).
Lots of texture and nicely focused, yet allowing the background to begin to blur out.

That is a quite interesting find isn't it, with the barbed wire across the gate itself, yet no fence (at least as far as I could make out).
Lots of texture and nicely focused, yet allowing the background to begin to blur out.
Thanks TIm, yes you can just walk around either side of the gate but not through it, I guess it has some history

Interesting find Chris, like others have said, I'm sure it has a story or two to tell.
Its curious that some of the wire is green too.

Interesting find Chris, like others have said, I'm sure it has a story or two to tell.
Its curious that some of the wire is green too.
Thanks for dropping in Chris, appreciate it.

I see these kinds of thing now and again and do wonder why they are there :)

Candidate of a b&w IMO.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I know where you are coming from and it might convert to B&W OK but I think the grey posts stand out quite well against the green.

I like that!
Thanks Clive

52-2016-Size by TheWub, on Flickr

Had a great wild camping trip on top of Catbells with @posiview, @blondie606 and @Mat0tam, got about a billion photos to delete process, this little farm nestled beneath the mountains is one of he first to make it through.

Hi Chris.
I see what you're going for there, but with the sky a bit flat, and the distance a bit washed out, I think this would be stronger as a tighter crop.
Same width, but with the village on the top 3rd line.
Only my view though and perhaps it wouldn't give you the impression of size you're after.

Thanks TIm, I think that works too having just tried it by scrolling the window.

Back