weekly Jakeblu's 52 for 2016 Week 16 Vast added

I think you were a bit harsh on yourself with the Miniature shot as I think it works really well and the dof is spot on (y)

Happy is a colourful and fun take on the theme and you've managed to keep the background white which is not as easy as it looks :)

Abandoned is a bit of a tight crop for me, it feels like it needs a bit more space around it. I do like the b&w conversion and it just needs a tiny little straighten as the rhs is just a tad too low. (Please excuse the OCD :p)

Well done on the late catch up! My favourite has to be Happy - great imagination and a really pleasing mix of colours - it made me smile (y)

What a sad, abandoned sight with the unused football. B&W conversion adds to it and I like the out of focus goal in the BG. Good effort :)

Happy - definitely made me smile in what has been a particularly rubbish week - very inventive!
Abandoned - love the textures, composition and pov :)
Thanks Emma, Happy was a bit of a last minute idea, glad you liked it.
Very abandoned, nice in b and w too.
Thanks Clive was going originally going to post the colour version but it didn't quite have the look I wanted.
Miniature - a nice sharp shot that works nicely and good dof, perfect for the theme
Happy - fantastic idea for the theme, good colour and lighting.

Abandoned - Love the B&W and the dof is spot on, good idea too
Thanks Lee, your comments are appreciated

Abandoned - Nice take on the theme I really like the B&W conversion nice DOF too and composition with the ball being off centre works brilliantly
Thanks Mark, I think the B&W makes the image

I think you were a bit harsh on yourself with the Miniature shot as I think it works really well and the dof is spot on (y)
I wanted to show the larger grater in full but it was missing its handle and looked odd.
Happy is a colourful and fun take on the theme and you've managed to keep the background white which is not as easy as it looks :)
Aye a bit of editing was required :)
Abandoned is a bit of a tight crop for me, it feels like it needs a bit more space around it. I do like the b&w conversion and it just needs a tiny little straighten as the rhs is just a tad too low. (Please excuse the OCD :p)
Thanks for the feed back and encouragement

Well done on the late catch up! My favourite has to be Happy - great imagination and a really pleasing mix of colours - it made me smile (y)
Thanks Elaine, I'm pleased you liked it

What a sad, abandoned sight with the unused football. B&W conversion adds to it and I like the out of focus goal in the BG. Good effort :)
Cheers Ian
Really liking your Abandoned Steve .. the DOF, composition, the b&w, I think they all work together perfectly.
Thanks Suzie, appreciate the comments

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying this 52, I'm seeing photo ops everywhere. Out with the dog this morning, couldn't believe it :) I haven't seen an abandoned trolley in years

Abandoned 2

Abandoned2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Happy, that reminds me of Carmen Miranda who was always prtrayed as a happy person.
Nicely thought out and taken (y)

2nd Abandoned, that nails the theme, you see them abandoned everywhere don't you?
Well taken Steve (y)

Hi Steve - a couple more good shots there.

Happy - made me smile so a tick in that box ;) It's a clever composition but two things jump out slightly and pull it down very slightly for me - one is the blown background (slightly more moderate lighting might help) and the second is the angle of the shot - it's very upright and slightly flat... perhaps a tiny bit more angle would work?

Abandoned (ball) - I love this. Great light, perfect capture in terms of focus, DOF etc. Processing also works really, really well. Just a super shot for me. Not getting as much love for the trolley, but one brilliant image per theme is probably enough ;)

Your Happy shot's really wacky, love the feathers. :D

Another Morrissons trolley ... I've seen three abandoned supermarket trolleys in the past week ... all that colour.

Happy makes me smile :D
And abandoned makes me feel a bit sad....so job done :(

Abandoned - love the football, seems to fit the theme perfectly and makes for a more interesting photo than the trolley - bit too random that one! Nice capture for both though, keep it up!

Hi Steve,
Happy - Great colourful cheerful shot. Definitely portrays Happy. Seems nicely sharp, what f-stop did you use as your exif says "ƒ/0".
Abandoned - Good use of shallow DoF and B&W pp. The abandoned ball shot works well. (y) Less so the shopping trolley. Maybe it's the short grass, maybe it's that the trolley is pristine, but it looks manufactured.

Hi Steve

Happy - Colourful and imaginative and raised a smile from me!
Abandoned - the shot of the ball is great, it's brilliantly composed and the subject is very authentic.

Week 6 Camouflage

Invisible Bilbo by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Poor effort from me this week but I was getting desperate. Its a small figure of an invisible Bilbo hiding behind a tree.

Last edited:
Not Bad Steve, I'll let you off this week, but don't make a Hobbit out of it

Sorry :coat:

That's very different model to the Lego-like models we have on here - like it. Very thought provoking - why has he stepped behind a tree? What's his left foot stepped in? Good fun image for the theme.

Happy, that reminds me of Carmen Miranda who was always prtrayed as a happy person.
Nicely thought out and taken (y)

2nd Abandoned, that nails the theme, you see them abandoned everywhere don't you?
Well taken Steve (y)

Carmen Miranda? Your showing your age there Chris, even I can only just remember her :)

Thanks for your comments mate, much appreciated.

Hi Steve - a couple more good shots there.

Happy - made me smile so a tick in that box ;) It's a clever composition but two things jump out slightly and pull it down very slightly for me - one is the blown background (slightly more moderate lighting might help) and the second is the angle of the shot - it's very upright and slightly flat... perhaps a tiny bit more angle would work?

Abandoned (ball) - I love this. Great light, perfect capture in terms of focus, DOF etc. Processing also works really, really well. Just a super shot for me. Not getting as much love for the trolley, but one brilliant image per theme is probably enough ;)
Thanks Paul, the trolley shot was a bit of a impulse take, and I have to agree its just not right I always had the footy shot in mind when I saw the challenge. Appreciate the comments, thanks.

Your Happy shot's really wacky, love the feathers. :D

Another Morrissons trolley ... I've seen three abandoned supermarket trolleys in the past week ... all that colour.
Cheers David, its a kicky uppy thingy my son brought back from China, apparently. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Happy makes me smile :D
And abandoned makes me feel a bit sad....so job done :(
Thanks for your comments Ruth, much appreciated

Miniature - nice and simple but very well executed :)

Happy- ha ha lovely fun and colourful, vibrant image !

Abandoned - I think im leaning towards the trolley as it feels more "abandoned" that the footy :D
Cheers Jon, for taking the time to look and comment. I preferred the football shot over the trolley, although it defo says abandoned

Abandoned - love the football, seems to fit the theme perfectly and makes for a more interesting photo than the trolley - bit too random that one! Nice capture for both though, keep it up!
Appreciate your comments Matt. The trolly was a random photo, just came across it out walking the dogs.
Hi Steve,
Happy - Great colourful cheerful shot. Definitely portrays Happy. Seems nicely sharp, what f-stop did you use as your exif says "ƒ/0".
Abandoned - Good use of shallow DoF and B&W pp. The abandoned ball shot works well. (y) Less so the shopping trolley. Maybe it's the short grass, maybe it's that the trolley is pristine, but it looks manufactured.
Thanks for the detailed comments on the photos Tim. The happy shot was taken with an old manual tokina 28mm on the XE2. I usually have the fstop set to about f5.6-8 on this anything wider and its a bit soft.

Hi Steve

Happy - Colourful and imaginative and raised a smile from me!
Abandoned - the shot of the ball is great, it's brilliantly composed and the subject is very authentic.
Thanks Nick, Its good to know you like them :)

Happy - nice bright colourful image, fun take on the theme.

Abandoned - two good images for the theme, both work well.
Cheers Mandy, appreciate you taking the time to look and comment

Last edited:
Carmen Miranda? Your showing your age there Chris, even I can only just remember her :)
I just remember my Nan saying how she was that's all :D

That's a super second Abandoned shot Steve ... what a great find, and I love the soft morning light and that lovely sky in the background.

Not too sure if your little Bilbo figure looks very Camouflaged, but it was a difficult theme.

The challenge does make you very aware of your surroundings doesn't it ...glad you're enjoying it :)

Happy - fun take on the theme and made me smile very healthy on the edible prop front made
Abandoned - 2 good shots I like the football best of the two with the empty pitch behind it. I did have a trolley shot too but decided not to use it. Your trolley looks a bit like it's watching the sunset
Camouflage - a fun shot

Last edited:
I just remember my Nan saying how she was that's all :D
You've heard the saying once your in a hole stop digging :)
That's a super second Abandoned shot Steve ... what a great find, and I love the soft morning light and that lovely sky in the background.

Not too sure if your little Bilbo figure looks very Camouflaged, but it was a difficult theme.

The challenge does make you very aware of your surroundings doesn't it ...glad you're enjoying it :)
Thanks Susie, the challenges do seem to get harder as time goes on but I am still enjoying it.

Happy - fun take on the theme and made me smile very healthy on the edible prop front made
Abandoned - 2 good shots I like the football best of the two with the empty pitch behind it. I did have a trolley shot too but decided not to use it. Your trolley looks a bit like it's watching the sunset
Camouflage - a fun shot
Thanks for your comments and kind words, they are appreciated

Last edited:
Happy - Very colourful, eye catching shot. Nicely set up.
Abandoned - really like the football shot, the B&W conversion, the DOF with the goal posts behind all work well. Good spot with the shopping trolley, I'm hoping the 52 project gets me to notice and think about things more.
Camouflage - that's an unusual ornament, well done for getting something for the theme.

edited to add Dangerous..

Dangerous - I like the black handles and silver blades against the white background. Certainly says dangerous to me.

Last edited:
Dangerous to cross knives ... and you've done that several times over (gulp!). Nice abstract - great in b&w.

Dangerous...

I like the fact that you haven't composed them in a perfect *star*.
Right on theme.

Hi Steve :)

Blimey, now that is a dangerous looking collection of knives, would like the knives handles slightly darker, but generally well handled for me, I'm liking that you have kept some texture in the background as well as a great metallic shine on the blades :)

Hi Steve, that's a very well shot image for danger. Obviously on theme and a difficult scene to shoot from a lighting perspective. If you get a tiny bit of specular reflection, all of the knives along their whole length will likely be blown - so whilst I agree with Tim that it'd be nice to have a tiny sparkle somewhere, it's very difficult to achieve except by adding a small single led light somewhere in the lighting mix (which may just end up looking odd). I think the shadows work really well - nice and soft but add depth to an image which is deliberately flat. Only small crit I'd add is to widen the shot slightly to get all of the shadow in frame (bottom middle) but otherwise it's pretty much perfect for me!

Happy - Very colourful, eye catching shot. Nicely set up.
Abandoned - really like the football shot, the B&W conversion, the DOF with the goal posts behind all work well. Good spot with the shopping trolley, I'm hoping the 52 project gets me to notice and think about things more.
Camouflage - that's an unusual ornament, well done for getting something for the theme.

edited to add Dangerous..

Dangerous - I like the black handles and silver blades against the white background. Certainly says dangerous to me.
Thanks Steve I appreciate taking the time to comment

Hmm Dunno Steve. I think I'd like to see some kind of shine / glint off of the blades. As is it looks a bit flat (sorry).
Thanks for your crit Tim,I tried to give it plenty of contrast, to make up for the flatness of the blades.. I had diffused the light so not to blow any highlights.

Contrasty enough for me, not an easy one to compose, but works well.....lot of knives :)

Cheers.
Cheers Andy
Dangerous to cross knives ... and you've done that several times over (gulp!). Nice abstract - great in b&w.
Thanks Carl much appreciated

Dangerous...

I like the fact that you haven't composed them in a perfect *star*.
Right on theme.
Thanks Ruth, I had a more jumbled collection at first but tidied them up a little.

Dangerous - lovely abstract image, nice collection of sharp knifes, fits the theme.
Thank you.

Hi Steve ....well certainly plenty of Danger there, I always struggle with white backgrounds and you've done well ....I wonder if it would take a slight down on the contrast to the make the handles a bit darker, it's just a thought I've no idea if it would work :)
Thanks Suzie, I had upped the contrast but maybe it could take a little more.

Hi Steve :)

Blimey, now that is a dangerous looking collection of knives, would like the knives handles slightly darker, but generally well handled for me, I'm liking that you have kept some texture in the background as well as a great metallic shine on the blades :)
Cheers mate, your not the first to comment on the darkness of the handles maybe a little more contrast is in order.

Hi Steve, that's a very well shot image for danger. Obviously on theme and a difficult scene to shoot from a lighting perspective. If you get a tiny bit of specular reflection, all of the knives along their whole length will likely be blown - so whilst I agree with Tim that it'd be nice to have a tiny sparkle somewhere, it's very difficult to achieve except by adding a small single led light somewhere in the lighting mix (which may just end up looking odd). I think the shadows work really well - nice and soft but add depth to an image which is deliberately flat. Only small crit I'd add is to widen the shot slightly to get all of the shadow in frame (bottom middle) but otherwise it's pretty much perfect for me!
Thanks Paul, I took loads of shots trying to get the right one. I felt without the sparkle it did look a little flat but I wasn't keen on those that had specular lighting were blown and I wanted to avoid that.

Week 8 Topical

I really struggled with this weeks had a few ideas that just didn't work out. Not sure this does very well either

Daffs, spring? Almost. Topical? Almost :)

DSCF8636.jpg by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

That works for me Steve - Spring is very much a topic of discussion and daffs represent Spring so quite right. Nice choice - lovely vibrant colours.

Back