weekly Jason's 52 in 2014 - SUPPORT Added - We've made it to the end together :-)

Week 45: First

Im struggling with week 44, so I've postponed this for now and gone on to week 45.
My interpretation is FIRSTBORN.
This is Julian, our first, just recently turned 7 yrs old. A real loveable cheeky chappy, but I am biased...lol

Firstborn by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good plan Jason, its hard enough to find a suitable subject and interesting 'twist' for it each week.. Is not worth beating yourself up while waiting for inspiration to strike. :)

Almost exactly thge same age as my youngest.. It is a lovely age indeed.

Lovely portrait there, showing a real amount of character to him. The tilt of the had and avoiding the need to have a forced smile makes it nice and natural. Love the glasses, presuming they're prop glasses without lenses in.... If not you've done really well to get such a clear view through them.

Initially thought I'd like there to be a bit more light on his left eye, but actually like it as it really draws the eye back to the lit one which is brilliant.

Were you not tempted to overlay a texture on the background? Although this one with the subtle gradient running diagonally across works well too. (y)

Hi Jason, that is a really stonking portrait shot. Awesome. Love the tilt of the head and the expression. Really lovely.

Lighting: with one tiny caveat, it's perfect for me. It's a slightly unusual setup but for me it works really, really well - perhaps because of it being different. Maybe rein in the highlight a tiny tweak on the forehead, above the right corner of the glasses frame but that's really quibbling (and not my caveat, btw). Half in shadow works perfectly: there's enough detail but also a good amount that's hidden. Nice. Lack of offputting shadows under the chin etc. really works - did you need a reflector at all underneath?

Details on the eyes, hair, face, frames etc. are all spot on. That right eye in particular is fantastic... they are the windows to the soul and your photo is wonderful in that regard. Nice catchlights.

You've dealt with the specular reflections on the frames well - just enough to suggest gloss without distracting. Perfect.

So... this caveat... well, it's a tiny one. The shadow on top of the head is both puzzling (not sure how you've managed it!) and slightly distracting for me. To be honest, this is a tiny quibble on an otherwise nigh-on perfect shot. To be honest, I'm curious as to how it's happened given the direction of light source: was the flash snooted or gridded? I see in the flickr tag you've marked it as "natural light" in which case I'm even more puzzled as I'd expect some wrap-around to light the top of the head!

Super, super shot. :clap:

I have to admit of thinking of doing "First Born" too! Infact, I might.
Good portrait shot there, really good. So really, I have to agree with the comments made by Paul above!

Hiya Jason, your photo of your lad,Julian, is excellent, focus is spot on the eye, detail superb. I thought like Graham and presumed the glasses are just a prop? As mentioned, the tilt to the head works great. (y)

I'm noticing something in the top right corner in the bg, I think I've seen and heard something on it before, possibly to do with re-sizing? but its something as nothing :)

Last edited:
Edit- double post :rolleyes:

Hi, loving the processing of First. The green BG works really well and the focus on the eye is bang on as is the colour which works well with the BG. Glasses are a great addition.

I'd like a little more light in his left eye, but do like the tilt of his head.

Cheers.

Hi, first born is an excellent idea and the portrait is very good, nothing I can add to anything said above (y)

Hi Jason
Grow - when in doubt - Scrabble :) I like the arrangement - words on the bottom third, both ets of leaves pointing on the diag, the soft, calm swirly b/g as a foil to the hard edges of the blocks. Excellent technique (y)

Bubble reshoot - good colur and partic like the fingerprint effect in the larger bubbles.

First - on them with the title included. Clean, bright image with excellent focus on the eyes, glasses. The dof is what i would expect for such a shot but the ear being so oof kind of detracts - perhaps because it is in such a prominent position in the frame with such a pure b/g :thinking: I like the lighting very much. Good capture

HI Jason

I'll not crit the portrait as no experience in doing them myslef but I will say it looks sharp, well focus, beautiful catch light in the eye

Good plan Jason, its hard enough to find a suitable subject and interesting 'twist' for it each week.. Is not worth beating yourself up while waiting for inspiration to strike. :)

Almost exactly thge same age as my youngest.. It is a lovely age indeed.

Lovely portrait there, showing a real amount of character to him. The tilt of the had and avoiding the need to have a forced smile makes it nice and natural. Love the glasses, presuming they're prop glasses without lenses in.... If not you've done really well to get such a clear view through them.

Initially thought I'd like there to be a bit more light on his left eye, but actually like it as it really draws the eye back to the lit one which is brilliant.

Hi Graham. I agree, a lovely age indeed, so nice to see them develop their own independant thinking. Yup, these a 3d glasses from the cinema, with the lenses removed:). THanks for the comments as always

Hi Jason, that is a really stonking portrait shot. Awesome. Love the tilt of the head and the expression. Really lovely.

Lighting: with one tiny caveat, it's perfect for me. It's a slightly unusual setup but for me it works really, really well - perhaps because of it being different. Maybe rein in the highlight a tiny tweak on the forehead, above the right corner of the glasses frame but that's really quibbling (and not my caveat, btw). Half in shadow works perfectly: there's enough detail but also a good amount that's hidden. Nice. Lack of offputting shadows under the chin etc. really works - did you need a reflector at all underneath?

Details on the eyes, hair, face, frames etc. are all spot on. That right eye in particular is fantastic... they are the windows to the soul and your photo is wonderful in that regard. Nice catchlights.

You've dealt with the specular reflections on the frames well - just enough to suggest gloss without distracting. Perfect.

So... this caveat... well, it's a tiny one. The shadow on top of the head is both puzzling (not sure how you've managed it!) and slightly distracting for me. To be honest, this is a tiny quibble on an otherwise nigh-on perfect shot. To be honest, I'm curious as to how it's happened given the direction of light source: was the flash snooted or gridded? I see in the flickr tag you've marked it as "natural light" in which case I'm even more puzzled as I'd expect some wrap-around to light the top of the head!

Super, super shot. :clap:

Hi Paul, no reflector used, and only natural light. I really like the way you've analyised the lighting. To help you with this....I've attached a setup shot. Julian was sat on the green chair roughly 45 degrees to the back door window. Setup shot is << here >>

I have to admit of thinking of doing "First Born" too! Infact, I might.
Good portrait shot there, really good. So really, I have to agree with the comments made by Paul above!

THanks for the comments Simon. Much appreciated.

Hiya Jason, your photo of your lad,Julian, is excellent, focus is spot on the eye, detail superb. I thought like Graham and presumed the glasses are just a prop? As mentioned, the tilt to the head works great. (y)

I'm noticing something in the top right corner in the bg, I think I've seen and heard something on it before, possibly to do with re-sizing? but its something as nothing :)

Thanks Phil, yup, just prop glasses with no lenses. I agree the tilt works well for a younger subject. The darker are is from the overhead cupboard above him I think (see setup shot). Thanks for the visit mate (y)

Hi, loving the processing of First. The green BG works really well and the focus on the eye is bang on as is the colour which works well with the BG. Glasses are a great addition.

I'd like a little more light in his left eye, but do like the tilt of his head.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy for the comments. much appreciated. I do wish I had taken some with a reflector to light the left to see the differance. Oh well, live and learn hey

Hi, first born is an excellent idea and the portrait is very good, nothing I can add to anything said above (y)

Thanks mate, appreciate your positive comments.

Hi Jason ...a super shot of your son and a lovely comment about him in your explanation too :) As mentioned above I really like the thoughtful pose, it makes a change from the usual smiley photo's you see.

Thanks Susie, I have to say I am not a fan of smiling pictures, somehow always look unnatural too me. (.....sounds morbid that doesnt it...lol)

Hi Jason
Grow - when in doubt - Scrabble :) I like the arrangement - words on the bottom third, both ets of leaves pointing on the diag, the soft, calm swirly b/g as a foil to the hard edges of the blocks. Excellent technique (y)

Bubble reshoot - good colur and partic like the fingerprint effect in the larger bubbles.

First - on them with the title included. Clean, bright image with excellent focus on the eyes, glasses. The dof is what i would expect for such a shot but the ear being so oof kind of detracts - perhaps because it is in such a prominent position in the frame with such a pure b/g :thinking: I like the lighting very much. Good capture

Thanks Alan for you comments. Always appreciate them and I know you put alot of effort and time into them. Thanks again.

HI Jason

I'll not crit the portrait as no experience in doing them myslef but I will say it looks sharp, well focus, beautiful catch light in the eye

Thanks Lynne.....now get out there and shoot some portraits! :)

:clap: Cheeky Chappy, trendy frames .... and the lighting looks good to me.

A great portrait shot and good use of the prop specs - they give him a real intellectual air :clap:

Thanks for the setup shot... I've worked out the strange dark area on his hair! It's the border of the door (i.e. the non glass bit) - looking at your setup shot, you have quite a dark area in the concave bit where the wall goes in (just below those very nice wall cabinets). Given the placement of the stool, I reckon he might have been a touch too close to that wall and the back of his head in the shade.

It was a really tiny caveat and even as it is, that photos is just stunning. Thanks for posting the extra shot as I do like to try to reverse engineer the lighting setup on shots! (y)

:clap: Cheeky Chappy, trendy frames .... and the lighting looks good to me.

Thanks David....he sure is cheeky :)

A great portrait shot and good use of the prop specs - they give him a real intellectual air :clap:

Thanks Elaine..appreciate the comments.

Thanks for the setup shot... I've worked out the strange dark area on his hair! It's the border of the door (i.e. the non glass bit) - looking at your setup shot, you have quite a dark area in the concave bit where the wall goes in (just below those very nice wall cabinets). Given the placement of the stool, I reckon he might have been a touch too close to that wall and the back of his head in the shade.

It was a really tiny caveat and even as it is, that photos is just stunning. Thanks for posting the extra shot as I do like to try to reverse engineer the lighting setup on shots! (y)

Ure most welcome Paul and its nice to see someone so enthusiatic and passionate (y)

Week 44: Live

Struggled with this theme. Finally settled on an album cover type concept loosely inspired by Ozzy Osbournes Live and Loud cover.

Picture is one I took of Julian for Loud, back in week 27. The most fun was probably creating the little parental advisory label. Thanks for looking (y)

Live and Loud by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Well it certainly gets the idea of Loud across, but I don't think I'd have got the Live link without the labelling and explanation. It's a great portrait shot though - I love the facial expression and light on his hair and I bet you both had a lot of fun shooting it (y)

Well Jason, you know when sometimes a shot doesn't have to be on theme because it's just so good? This is one...

Love the expression, the quite hard lighting and the superb conversion to B&W. Miniscule tweaks to improve very small technical elements are irrelevant because the overall image is so strong - really super. :clap:

Live ... Yep nice processing and very nicely framed.

Blimey Jason, there are laws about how much you're allowed to work a 7 year old... Hope he's getting paid handsomely for his efforts. :)

It works though, like the little touch of the circles on the BG, the advisory label / text is spot on. And the really close crop works well too, too often we niggle about bits being cut off, is refreshing sometimes to see it done purposely and with good effect.

Aptness for the theme.... I'm not so sure, but who cares. :D

Hi so sorry I haven't popped in for a while, life has been very busy for me of late. I have had a look back over what I missed and I amazed by the ideas for the themes, the quality of your work is outstanding and your ability to take an idea and turn it into something brilliant is awesome keep up the good work.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Really do appreciate them. Sorry I've not been around the threads to reciprcate.

I'm falling behind by 3 weeks so kind of using a crow bar to get past the 'smooth' theme and hopefully get some momentom back. Figured these have got to be smooth to get them down your throat, right?

Smooth

Smooth by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Hey Jason, there's a lot of those being needed at the moment. Currently have the lurgy in our house. :(

WHat a great image, super bright and colourful, (few bits of green coming through the yellow?). Love the frame fillingness of it and the central one leaves you in no doubt as to where the focal point is, not easy when you have a sea of things all the same.

initially saw these as lockets, but they're tagged omega 3 on your flickr so I'm presuming they're small cod liver oil tabs or suchlike. Makes no differnce, still super. :)

Is the DOF all natural or is there some blur around the edges, either way, it works really well to bring the eyes back to that central one.

Smooth, like it. As Graham says, bright and colourful. Some of the BG or reflected green is my only crit. I like the soft edges.

Cheers.

Hi Jason .... I love the abstract look of this one .... the moment I saw it I thought it very eye catching. Focal point is spot on with the soft border .... not too bothered by the green tinge although it would be interesting to see it without it. A great choice for the theme.

Hey Jason, there's a lot of those being needed at the moment. Currently have the lurgy in our house. :(

WHat a great image, super bright and colourful, (few bits of green coming through the yellow?). Love the frame fillingness of it and the central one leaves you in no doubt as to where the focal point is, not easy when you have a sea of things all the same.

initially saw these as lockets, but they're tagged omega 3 on your flickr so I'm presuming they're small cod liver oil tabs or suchlike. Makes no differnce, still super. :)

Is the DOF all natural or is there some blur around the edges, either way, it works really well to bring the eyes back to that central one.

Hi Graham. Thanks for the comments. Hope you're feeling better already. DOF is natural though enhanced the focus on the central pills by adding a yellow Vignette to the edges (using color efex and color picker) and then also sharpend the central area using high pass filter, a.k.a sharpener on steroids :)

Hi Jason .... I love the abstract look of this one .... the moment I saw it I thought it very eye catching. Focal point is spot on with the soft border .... not too bothered by the green tinge although it would be interesting to see it without it. A great choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie....The green colour came out when I increased the contrast. Not a fan of it either really

Really nicely done, Jason. It's a super shot with well controlled lighting and well-chosen focus/DOF. Doesn't make me want to take them any more than before, but I appreciate the shot!! :)

Thanks for the comments Paul. Just used subtle natural lighting from the window sill

Smooth, like it. As Graham says, bright and colourful. Some of the BG or reflected green is my only crit. I like the soft edges.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy ! :)

Attached

Attaching labels to people drives me mad. He's ugly, thinks his clever, his fat, his stupid......the list of labels are endless......and like this picture, so pointless.

Really wanted to shoot all elements of this myself.....though coming into winter I'm a little out of shape....lol ;). Stock image of the man is low quality, but its more the concept I wanted to portray. To my credit, I shot the safety pin and label (minus words) myself and tried to reduce the quality to match the man in the image. Text is a free font from the web called 'Doodle pen'. Thanks for looking as always.

Attached by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Interesting concept and I like to idea. Labels, easy to get them, hard to get rid of them.

The label is 'in ya face' which suits the concept.

Cheers.

as Andy says, interesting concept. And thought provoking too.

good choice of base image, and the label and pin has been well shot too, with lighting similar to that on the model.

Not much else to say... which is unusual for me. :)

Hi Jason,

Your smooth shot is fantastic, I love the detail and the colour. It's great to get so much detail out of something that is one colour.
I agree with others regarding the concept of your Attached shot. It's very easy to label people, I'm sure everyone does it even if we don't like it when it's done. The image works and is interesting and definitely not an idea I'd have thought of!

Smooth - yes I agree with you they must be smooth to get down your throat. While a slightly uninteresting object I rather like the soft golden tones in this image.

Attached - great image for the theme works very well, I think my only niggle would be the top of his hair being clipped off.

I like the way it's cropped/framed.

I know the 'in ya face' label is the whole point, but ....

still it's a nicely shot and pp'd promotional-type image.

Hi Jason... well that's a cracking idea. The only thing I'd add to the above is to pick up on Graham's point a bit... I'd probably like the label to look as if it's genuinely attached, which given the lighting on the model would mean no shadow at the top of the label. Not sure if you shot the label and then added the shadow in post, but I'd probably rather see that. It's a very picky point for which I apologise, but the idea is superb and I think that tiny tweak would make it even better. (Nice lighting on the pin though :))

Back