weekly Jason's 52 in 2014 - SUPPORT Added - We've made it to the end together :-)

Interesting concept and I like to idea. Labels, easy to get them, hard to get rid of them.

The label is 'in ya face' which suits the concept.

Cheers.

Hi Andy....Such a good point you've made about labels which I had not thought about.....:clap:

as Andy says, interesting concept. And thought provoking too.

good choice of base image, and the label and pin has been well shot too, with lighting similar to that on the model.

Not much else to say... which is unusual for me. :)

Thanks Graham....always appreciate your time and comments.

Hi Jason,

Your smooth shot is fantastic, I love the detail and the colour. It's great to get so much detail out of something that is one colour.
I agree with others regarding the concept of your Attached shot. It's very easy to label people, I'm sure everyone does it even if we don't like it when it's done. The image works and is interesting and definitely not an idea I'd have thought of!

Hi Simon. thanks for the comments. You right, of course we do all do it, we are only human after all, but I guess if the picture raises awareness amongst ourselves....thats enough for me :)

Smooth - yes I agree with you they must be smooth to get down your throat. While a slightly uninteresting object I rather like the soft golden tones in this image.

Attached - great image for the theme works very well, I think my only niggle would be the top of his hair being clipped off.

Hi Mandy...hope you're doing ok. THanks for the comments, all good crit received there

I like the way it's cropped/framed.

I know the 'in ya face' label is the whole point, but ....

still it's a nicely shot and pp'd promotional-type image.

Thanks David....glad you mention promotional - thats exactly the look I wanted ;)

Hi Jason... well that's a cracking idea. The only thing I'd add to the above is to pick up on Graham's point a bit... I'd probably like the label to look as if it's genuinely attached, which given the lighting on the model would mean no shadow at the top of the label. Not sure if you shot the label and then added the shadow in post, but I'd probably rather see that. It's a very picky point for which I apologise, but the idea is superb and I think that tiny tweak would make it even better. (Nice lighting on the pin though :))

Hi Paul...No need to apologise. honestly is the best policy right? THe look I wanted was more a label attached to a poster than label attached directly to person look, if that makes sense. Maybe that was the wrong strategy but felt it better fitted the promotional poster feel I was after. Shadow to label was added in PP using alien skin plug-in. Thanks as always for the comments - always really well considered and constructive (y)

Hi Jason ... I agree, a superb idea ...real thinking outside the box there, and for me it works brilliantly ...a thought provoking concept and image :clap:

Hi Susie...glad it works for you and if it got you thinking for even a minute about the message behind it.....I'm a happy bunny :)

Energy

This is the hallway light shade shot from beneath. Unfortunately its more than a little skewed, but I could not get round that no matter how much changed the POV. Settled on convincing myself that it added to the off centre type rule of thirds which was futher reinforced by placing the shade just off centre in the picture.

Picture is a blend of original exposure and HDR processing, finished in silver efex with a coffe tone. Bit Garish really but wanted to emphasise the lampshade pattern which I thought looked abit like the sun giving off its energy.

Thanks for looking as always and heres a link to the << SOOC >> image.

Energy by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

That's quite an impressive image Jason (y), it certainly mimics the effect you were after, but its still noticeable as to what it is. As always, great pp skills, I like :)

Lovely Jason, super high contrast, both in the black's and the whites but also in the soft background and the super sharp of the lampshade itself.

The bulb is circular and I like the three legs coming off it arranged as they are, the centrality and angle of view for the rest of it works better I think than it would if it was all dead straight on.

Fab (y)

You do know the next theme is round. You're not allowed to squeeze two themes into one shot though... :LOL:

Last edited:
HI JAson

Smooth....lovely golden glow( with a hint of green) , good focus & nicely framed with oof bits (y)

Round.....yup , works for me , again ,looks very abstract but it's still clear what it is :)

Hi Jason :)

Smooth - A nice bright image, I think a little more DoF would help on this one, but theme wise works fine for me, really well lit and liking the shine :)

Attached - Definety an unusual idea, you have matched your shot with the stock image nicely, not sure about the shadow on all 4 sides of the sign though, distracts from the posibility of the sign being attached to the actual model, still a thought provoking idea indeed :)

Energy - That's a cracking effect, liking your PP with this one, and actually prefering it slightly off skew, real good image for the theme, no crit from me (y)

Energy ... you come up with some inspiring stuff Jason. (y) I saw this yesterday and it got me doing the same at home. Also been playing with your << SOOC >> image ... hope that's OK.

Last edited:
First - It's good to see a portrait as we don't see too many in the TP52. This one absolutely makes up for the ack of numbers though. Super quality image. The lighting, the sharpness, DoF, expression make this a real winner for me. I can't decide whether I'd have cropped off some of the right hand side but that comment doesn't take anything away from this super image.

Live - It might say more loud than live but I still really like this. I guess it's your lad's expression that makes it as does his freckles and dimple. The sightly cool mono conversion is nice.

Smooth - Simple but effective. The exposure on these capsules is just right to bring out a real golden colour across the image.

Attached - I like the idea but I feel it hasn't quite worked but this is probably because I'm comparing it to the extremely high quality and consistency of your work. Two things I'm going to pick on. One is the background which seem to be a bit pixelated especially on the left hand side. The other is that I think the label is just too clean and square on to the frame. I do like that font though. I must download it.

Energy - I quite like this. I think it's the outside shade that attracts me. I'm wondering whether over exposing this area would improve it by turn it into more of a high key image. You could have even saved this for the following week's theme of round.

That's quite an impressive image Jason (y), it certainly mimics the effect you were after, but its still noticeable as to what it is. As always, great pp skills, I like :)

Thanks Phil....glad you like(y)

Hi Jason

Attached - original idea, well handled. I note the point that you have made in your response to Paul @pjm1 and the attachment to the poster idea comes across well when explained.

Energy - beautiful finish to the shot. It has immediate impact and exudes energy in a lovely abstract way. :clap:

Thanks Alan for the kind words. Love the way you described Energy pic....keeps me motivated that does

Lovely Jason, super high contrast, both in the black's and the whites but also in the soft background and the super sharp of the lampshade itself.

The bulb is circular and I like the three legs coming off it arranged as they are, the centrality and angle of view for the rest of it works better I think than it would if it was all dead straight on.

Fab (y) You do know the next theme is round. You're not allowed to squeeze two themes into one shot though... :LOL:

I did think about that, but decided to live for the movement and post as my energy pic....lol. Have to agree, I think it looks better at an angle than it would have dead on.

HI JAson

Smooth....lovely golden glow( with a hint of green) , good focus & nicely framed with oof bits (y)

Round.....yup , works for me , again ,looks very abstract but it's still clear what it is :)

Thanks Lynne for the comments....promise I'll catchup on your thread before the year is out. :)

Hi Jason I always enjoy looking at your thread .... love the mixtures of tones in this one ..... thanks for adding the SOOC image it makes me realise what a fabulous job you've done ...the end product is excellent.
Thanks Susie....your'e way to kind. Thanks for stopping in and also promise I'll catchup on your thread before the year is out too. :)

Hi Jason :)

Smooth - A nice bright image, I think a little more DoF would help on this one, but theme wise works fine for me, really well lit and liking the shine :)

Attached - Definety an unusual idea, you have matched your shot with the stock image nicely, not sure about the shadow on all 4 sides of the sign though, distracts from the posibility of the sign being attached to the actual model, still a thought provoking idea indeed :)

Energy - That's a cracking effect, liking your PP with this one, and actually prefering it slightly off skew, real good image for the theme, no crit from me (y)

THanks DK for the catchup. Really appreciate it! (y)

:agree: Fantastic images for the previous themes.

Thanks Mandy. Appreciate the visit (y)

Energy ... you come up with some inspiring stuff Jason. (y) I saw this yesterday and it got me doing the same at home. Also been playing with your << SOOC >> image ... hope that's OK.

Of course mate.....feel free....If it helps you experiment and learn - I'm all for that. Post the results here and lets see huh?

First - It's good to see a portrait as we don't see too many in the TP52. This one absolutely makes up for the ack of numbers though. Super quality image. The lighting, the sharpness, DoF, expression make this a real winner for me. I can't decide whether I'd have cropped off some of the right hand side but that comment doesn't take anything away from this super image.

Live - It might say more loud than live but I still really like this. I guess it's your lad's expression that makes it as does his freckles and dimple. The sightly cool mono conversion is nice.

Smooth - Simple but effective. The exposure on these capsules is just right to bring out a real golden colour across the image.

Attached - I like the idea but I feel it hasn't quite worked but this is probably because I'm comparing it to the extremely high quality and consistency of your work. Two things I'm going to pick on. One is the background which seem to be a bit pixelated especially on the left hand side. The other is that I think the label is just too clean and square on to the frame. I do like that font though. I must download it.

Energy - I quite like this. I think it's the outside shade that attracts me. I'm wondering whether over exposing this area would improve it by turn it into more of a high key image. You could have even saved this for the following week's theme of round.

Thanks Peter for the mega catchup...always appreciate your thoughtful comments - Hope to stop in on your thread before the year is out. Re energy....I was in two minds on this. To be honest I origianlly wanted to go highkey and played around with this, but it just didnt seems to have enough shadow to pull it off....

Hi, love the shot for energy its a great abstract, don't mind it being slightly skewed, it good as it is (y)

Of course mate.....feel free....If it helps you experiment and learn - I'm all for that. Post the results here and lets see huh?

:) .... Thanks ... from your <<SOOC>> I got loads of different interesting results colourful and not. I use Paint.net with no "silver efex" but other similar effect. I don't think I produced anything to rival yours.

Hi, love the shot for energy its a great abstract, don't mind it being slightly skewed, it good as it is (y)
Thanks Allan...appreciate the comment.

:) .... Thanks ... from your <<SOOC>> I got loads of different interesting results colourful and not. I use Paint.net with no "silver efex" but other similar effect. I don't think I produced anything to rival yours.

Hi Daivd.....Key I guess is to try and imagine it in your mind and then set out to create what you see using the tools available to you. Its good you having a go playing with things....Maybe we can see some composite images from you for the 2015 challange ;)

Round:

I swear I cleaned the clock before photographing it - the lighting just showed up every imperfection. Tried hard to get a picture of the clock face without a relection which is no easy task, tried to spend some time setting up the lighting though not sure it worked that well.

Link to <<SOCC>> image here

Link to <<LIGHT SETUP>> here. Only the flash on the right used to light this. no other lights were on (e.g. hallway light)

Round by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

Hi, Energy, one of the occasions when very high contrast works really well. Almost looks like there are clouds radiating away from the bulb.

Round, I'd prefer it of the reflection wasn't included. Good detail and I like the horizontal highlight.

Cheers.

Hi Jason, again, an excellent show of your pp skills :clap: Love the bg, :thinking:......reminds me of leather with the stitching, good detail in the clock and think the subtle reflections's great (y)

Hi, nice clean image of the clock, you do seem to have a good understanding of PS, its a great result from the SOOC pic, very nice work indeed (y)

Super transformation, like the bright bits by the 3 and the 9 being repetition of the bright strip of the background. Stitching detail works well, although is a touch random (?)

Reflection is well created and works well given the darkness of the area surrounding it

Hiya Jason... another thread I never tire at visiting! (Even thought it's been a while...)

Energy... I think that's a fab image. Very abstract and would have taken me a lot longer to work out what it is had it not had the link to the theme. For me, it's made all the more abstract by you overexposing the original and then pulling back, leaving a sharper graduation between the white whites and the mid-light greys. It wouldn't work on 99% of images but for this one I think your treatment is very much additive to the overall end image. Big well done (y)

Round... a fantastic end result. You certainly gave yourself a lot more work with the starting point but I guess a circle is easier to cut out in PS than irregular shapes! The end output is brilliant and the lighting on the face is spot on for me. I'm sure you know this, but avoiding direct reflections on any shiny object simply means making sure no light is within the "family of angles" formed by the camera and subject - basically by putting the light closer to 90 degrees (and no other lights on - very important!) you're pretty much guaranteed a reflection-free setup. Depending on how close to the clock the camera is, you might have been able to get away with a shallower angle, perhaps even as close at 45 degrees. Alternatively, you can cheat and remove the glass (which is what most watch photos do)...

Damn Jason... what a transformation, thanks for sharing the sooc and lighting... Really like the background you have put with this, effective looking shadow and really well cleaned up clock face, very nice (y)

Hi, Energy, one of the occasions when very high contrast works really well. Almost looks like there are clouds radiating away from the bulb.

Round, I'd prefer it of the reflection wasn't included. Good detail and I like the horizontal highlight.

Cheers.

Hi Jason, again, an excellent show of your pp skills :clap: Love the bg, :thinking:......reminds me of leather with the stitching, good detail in the clock and think the subtle reflections's great (y)

Hi, nice clean image of the clock, you do seem to have a good understanding of PS, its a great result from the SOOC pic, very nice work indeed (y)

Super transformation, like the bright bits by the 3 and the 9 being repetition of the bright strip of the background. Stitching detail works well, although is a touch random (?)

Reflection is well created and works well given the darkness of the area surrounding it

Hiya Jason... another thread I never tire at visiting! (Even thought it's been a while...)

Energy... I think that's a fab image. Very abstract and would have taken me a lot longer to work out what it is had it not had the link to the theme. For me, it's made all the more abstract by you overexposing the original and then pulling back, leaving a sharper graduation between the white whites and the mid-light greys. It wouldn't work on 99% of images but for this one I think your treatment is very much additive to the overall end image. Big well done (y)

Round... a fantastic end result. You certainly gave yourself a lot more work with the starting point but I guess a circle is easier to cut out in PS than irregular shapes! The end output is brilliant and the lighting on the face is spot on for me. I'm sure you know this, but avoiding direct reflections on any shiny object simply means making sure no light is within the "family of angles" formed by the camera and subject - basically by putting the light closer to 90 degrees (and no other lights on - very important!) you're pretty much guaranteed a reflection-free setup. Depending on how close to the clock the camera is, you might have been able to get away with a shallower angle, perhaps even as close at 45 degrees. Alternatively, you can cheat and remove the glass (which is what most watch photos do)...

Super transformation there Jason from your original image ... really well done with such a shiny reflective image :)

Really nice comments from you all here.....thank you so much for these really kind words and I do appreciate the time you've all taken out to do this (y)

Hi, that certainly is a little uncomfortable, but the tooth does look a little odd, which is a pity, you always produce interesting pics though (y)

Hi Jason... great idea and a nice shot of the pot (SOOC is very well lit as a starting point). I also like the blood and how you've taken the time to add in the reflections. Others have already commented on the slightly disjointed tooth (boom boom!) but still I feel it's a nicely handled composite, cleverly on theme and interesting! (y)

Hi Jason

Round...like it , wll lit on the clock face & good pp on to the bg finished of with a nice shadow (y)

Nonsense.......lovely little trinket box which is nicely lit,the pp'd blood works well & looks quite realistic....the tooth lets it down a little though ...sorry

Jason, the added in blood on this is fangtastic, ;), so much so that I was stunned when it wasn't on the origninal shot. :clap:

As mentioned the tooth doesn;t quite sit properly, not 100% sure why though. The shadow I think could come round a bit anti clockwise, and the dark line around the outer section is partly responsible too.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Tooth does look "off" in hindsight - thanks for reinforcing that - I'll have another play to see if I can improve.

Extravagance:

Well not extravagent in the grand scheme of things but definitely pricer than the average recognised brands. Certainly A super cool product with marketing to match.

Extravagant by Jason Glyn, on Flickr

A great product shot again Jason, having seen so many by you this year I'm really wanting to try and squeeze a couple in to my 2015 themes if I can, and have a bit of a play in PS - I can't crit the shot mate, lovely and bright, well set out, background, shadows... all ticks from me (y)

Well, I think to get the measure of the regard in which I hold your skills.... I had to just google that to see if it was a real product or one of your invention.....

I felt a bit daft doing so, as I was expecting nothing to come up.... but it is a real product. :LOL:

Perfect. (y)

Hi Jason

super product shot yet again......excellent text well positioned , a hint of shadow under the lid & just 4 perfect colors.....really top shot Jason :clap:

just out of curiosity......what lighting set up did you use for the product ?

Last edited:
Hi Jason

Round - very, very good. Good lighting and like the shadow and the line thro the equator. (y)

Nonsense - some Kensington gore for Christmas. Like the comp but some issues with the lighting - the tooth looks a bit 'stuck on' and those 2 lines of blood on the white foreground in front of the box look odd

extravagance - just perfect. :clap: great lighting and text and comp combine to give an image with immediate impact. well done

Happy New Year

Back