weekly Jason's 52 in 2014 - SUPPORT Added - We've made it to the end together :-)

A great product shot again Jason, having seen so many by you this year I'm really wanting to try and squeeze a couple in to my 2015 themes if I can, and have a bit of a play in PS - I can't crit the shot mate, lovely and bright, well set out, background, shadows... all ticks from me (y)

Thanks DK mate. Definitely would like to see some product shots from you. Be sure to tag me when you do so I can check it out ok (y)

Well, I think to get the measure of the regard in which I hold your skills.... I had to just google that to see if it was a real product or one of your invention.....

I felt a bit daft doing so, as I was expecting nothing to come up.... but it is a real product. :LOL: Perfect. (y)

Ha ha thanks Graham....that made me smile. Glad you approve

Hi, Extravagant, a very clinical and clean photograph. The text is really well placed and the soft shadows work well. Cheers.

Cheers Andy

Hi Jason

super product shot yet again......excellent text well positioned , a hint of shadow under the lid & just 4 perfect colors.....really top shot Jason :clap:

just out of curiosity......what lighting set up did you use for the product ?

Hi Lynne (@blondie606). Simply my external flash (mounted on camera pointing up) fired into a white reflector about 1 meter about the product.

Hi Jason

Round - very, very good. Good lighting and like the shadow and the line thro the equator. (y)

Nonsense - some Kensington gore for Christmas. Like the comp but some issues with the lighting - the tooth looks a bit 'stuck on' and those 2 lines of blood on the white foreground in front of the box look odd

extravagance - just perfect. :clap: great lighting and text and comp combine to give an image with immediate impact. well done Happy New Year
Thank you very much Alan for your comments. Happy New Year to you too!

Another super shot Jason .... I love your imagination when you're doing this type of thing ... a classy image. Wishing a happy New Year to you and yours :)

THanks Susie. always appreciate your comments. Happy new year to you too, may it be the best you've ever had!

Great product shot Jason. I really admire how you've managed to get such clarity to the top edge of the glass jar without having any nasty reflections off the glass :clap:

Great product shot Jason. I really admire how you've managed to get such clarity to the top edge of the glass jar without having any nasty reflections off the glass :clap:

Excellent work for round, nonsense and extravagant.

Thanks Elaine and Mandy...appreciate the comments. Happy New Year to you both and best of luck if you are continuing with the 52 challange in 2015 (y)

Hiya Jason, more good shots I'm pleased to say (and see)...

Extravagence: super product shot with expertly done lettering and a logo which looks perfect. Fab lighting on the tin which I think (direct overhead, very diffuse?) is simple but highly effective. It does, in my opinion, leave the wax (?) looking quite lifeless and I'd be tempted to try a few things on that:
1. I'd stick a small gobo up nearer the light to block a lot of that overhead light (or at least reduce its strength) just over the wax - wouldn't want to block light going on the rest of the scene, so the gobo would need to be carefully cut out (being a circle it helps!)
2. I'd then stick my fingers in the wax to "mess it up" and make it look used - and, importantly, give it some texture and shape
3. I'd then put a carefully snooted/gridded light at a low angle to light just the wax - might well be difficult / impossible to get perfect, but some side lighting to add definition to that wax would really make it jump for me. Keeping the light close should mean it's possible to avoid too much spill onto the rest of the scene.

I'm only making this suggestion because your shots are so exemplary, there's rarely anything technical one can offer for slight improvement. I'm not sure if the above would, but it might be fun trying :) It really is a super shot as is...

Support: well that's a beautiful shot. A wonderful sentiment, perfectly on theme for me and that simple lighting works wonderfully. I like the context of the hallway, especially the light falling on the wooden floor which just adds to the scene. It would be interesting to see a closer crop of the globe and Master Glyn, perhaps just cropped to below the top of his head and maybe even losing a foot (shock horror), really to focus in on the light falling on his face. You could also up the contrast in that as the near-white globe would dominate allowing a much darker rest of scene. But super as it is and any alternatives are unlikely to be better, just different. A super, super end to a very accomplished 52 - well done and I really hope we'll see you back next year! :banana::clap:

Well done Jason, a lovely image to end on, just shows that you don't need a plain BG and a big space to produce a compelling and effective shot.

Particularity love the fact that as we can see Europe and Africa, it means that he is looking much further afield.

How's your cloning... Removing the cable to create a magically illuminated gloibe would be awesome. :)

A fine end to a great year. Its been great seeing your individual style and take on the themes.

Excellent thinking Jason and a superb image (y)......like Grahams thinking about cloning the cable out :)

Happy New Year, atb for next years '52 :)

Hi Jason

What a simply wonderful image to complete your 2014 challenge ...no crit from me as Ilove both the image & the sentiment behind it :clap::clap:

Wishing you & yours a wonderful New Year (y)

Round - Great shot and a super mono conversion. The inclusion of the line of light going horizontally is a nice addition as is the partial reflection. Was that a real reflection or added post? Either way it looks good

Nonsense - This brought a smile albeit a toothless one LOL. Good idea. My crit on this one would be on the shadows. The one from the tooth doesn't look strong enough compared to the container. It also isn't coming from the same angle. Apologies for being picky.

Extravagant - Great advertisement shot. Now the shadow on this one is super. Just subtle enough but not too strong.

Support - Wow. What an image to finish on. The lighting from the globe is absolutely spot on and well done to the model (I assume your son) for the expression. It seems to fit exactly what you were after. Even the surroundings are just right for this.

Well done for finishing the year Jason:clap:

Hiya Jason, more good shots I'm pleased to say (and see)...

Extravagence: super product shot with expertly done lettering and a logo which looks perfect. Fab lighting on the tin which I think (direct overhead, very diffuse?) is simple but highly effective. It does, in my opinion, leave the wax (?) looking quite lifeless and I'd be tempted to try a few things on that:
1. I'd stick a small gobo up nearer the light to block a lot of that overhead light (or at least reduce its strength) just over the wax - wouldn't want to block light going on the rest of the scene, so the gobo would need to be carefully cut out (being a circle it helps!)
2. I'd then stick my fingers in the wax to "mess it up" and make it look used - and, importantly, give it some texture and shape
3. I'd then put a carefully snooted/gridded light at a low angle to light just the wax - might well be difficult / impossible to get perfect, but some side lighting to add definition to that wax would really make it jump for me. Keeping the light close should mean it's possible to avoid too much spill onto the rest of the scene.

I'm only making this suggestion because your shots are so exemplary, there's rarely anything technical one can offer for slight improvement. I'm not sure if the above would, but it might be fun trying :) It really is a super shot as is...

Support: well that's a beautiful shot. A wonderful sentiment, perfectly on theme for me and that simple lighting works wonderfully. I like the context of the hallway, especially the light falling on the wooden floor which just adds to the scene. It would be interesting to see a closer crop of the globe and Master Glyn, perhaps just cropped to below the top of his head and maybe even losing a foot (shock horror), really to focus in on the light falling on his face. You could also up the contrast in that as the near-white globe would dominate allowing a much darker rest of scene. But super as it is and any alternatives are unlikely to be better, just different. A super, super end to a very accomplished 52 - well done and I really hope we'll see you back next year! :banana::clap:

Wow, some super crit there and suggestions for improvement....not strategies I would of thought of but I can see them working. Really admire the energy and time that you put into comments, not just my thread, but everybodies. No doubt you're a real assest to the 52 challange. Unforturnately no return for me in 2015. Uncompleted studies require my sole attention this year. I do have a sneaky plan to complete some of the themes and post on my flickr as and when the urge grabs

Well done Jason, a lovely image to end on, just shows that you don't need a plain BG and a big space to produce a compelling and effective shot.

Particularity love the fact that as we can see Europe and Africa, it means that he is looking much further afield.

How's your cloning... Removing the cable to create a magically illuminated gloibe would be awesome. :)

A fine end to a great year. Its been great seeing your individual style and take on the themes.
Thanks Graham....I though I liked the cable, but then did clone it out after reading your suggestion and prefer without now ;). Thanks for all your support through 2014.

Super finish there Jason, the soft light on his face, the low POV, the brown tones.

It's been a pleasure, see you next year :). Cheers.
Thanks Andy, glad you like it (y)

No crowbar there mate, I really like that, the light is excellent !!!!

Loved your take on the themes this year Jason, well done for getting through it in style :clap:
Thanks DK.....we all know its not easy but believe we all got through it together. Will deffo miss the group comraderie

Good last image great way to end your challenge.

Thanks Mandy...and all the best for you 2015 challange...please be keeping an eye on your submissions through flickr :)

Excellent thinking Jason and a superb image (y)......like Grahams thinking about cloning the cable out :)

Happy New Year, atb for next years '52 :)

Cheers Phil. Happy New Year to you and yours too. Its been an absolute pleasure (y)

Hi Jason

What a simply wonderful image to complete your 2014 challenge ...no crit from me as Ilove both the image & the sentiment behind it :clap::clap:

Wishing you & yours a wonderful New Year (y)

Thanks Lynne. All the best to you and yours too.. Thanks for your support through 2014 and Hope all your 2015 resolutions come true.

Hi Jason .... agree totally with Lynne ...a beautiful image and the sentiment makes it even more special. Yours has been a great thread to follow ....I'm looking forward to next year.

Thanks Susie. Appreciated all you comments this year and always like receiving these. All the best for your 2015 challange if continuing onwards (y)

Round - Great shot and a super mono conversion. The inclusion of the line of light going horizontally is a nice addition as is the partial reflection. Was that a real reflection or added post? Either way it looks good

Nonsense - This brought a smile albeit a toothless one LOL. Good idea. My crit on this one would be on the shadows. The one from the tooth doesn't look strong enough compared to the container. It also isn't coming from the same angle. Apologies for being picky.

Extravagant - Great advertisement shot. Now the shadow on this one is super. Just subtle enough but not too strong.

Support - Wow. What an image to finish on. The lighting from the globe is absolutely spot on and well done to the model (I assume your son) for the expression. It seems to fit exactly what you were after. Even the surroundings are just right for this.

Well done for finishing the year Jason:clap:

Hi Peter,

Round - Yes, partial reflection added in post using alien skin plug in.
Nonsense - Dont apologise - its this kind of crit which helps us improve and realise our errors.

Thanks for all your support this year, it been pleasure, and hopefully one day I will make it out to one of your Kite events (y) All the best for 2015!

Last edited:
A beautiful image to end the year on Jason - love the light! Sorry to hear you won't be in for 2015, but good luck in whatever you do and a happy new year.

Hi Jason

I've managed to fall behind with the comments again and now I can't think of anything to say without copying what's already been said. (Sounds pathetic)

I've really enjoyed seeing your creative submissions throughout '14

... looking forward to more.

:)

Back