Just suppose it was intentional, Sirch's 52 for 2017, 52, Weather

Mineral - what a lovely set of images for the theme, I can only imagine what a nightmare it must of been to get the lighting right for them little mineral gems.

Nice to see one at the rock face as it were and the pull back shots reassure me I'm not the only one getting in the way at home :D The mineral collection is done beautifully Chris.
Mandy and Emma, thanks for taking the time to comment

Last edited:
A bit of a learning exercise this week and anyway the cars didn't need washing, the boiler didn't need fixing, the lad didn't need taking to rugby and the pigs are fuelled and ready to fly so I had all the time in the world to faff about with this. I really wanted to re-shoot it but time ran out so it's a candidate for a future re-shoot

52-2017-Whole by TheWub, on Flickr

Last edited:
That looks great to me Chris - I really like the elongated effect on the houses. I can't remember what this type of shot is called?
Thanks Emma, it seems to be known as "tiny planet"

Been a while since I did one of these and you've done really well. I'd prefer 90° anti clockwise rotation.

Cheers.
Cheers Andy and you know what, I rotated it 90° clockwise because I thought it looked a bit top heavy... :)

Very good indeed, I see what Andy means about the rotation but i quite like it how it is, the spiky nature of the houses is excellent

Very good indeed, I see what Andy means about the rotation but i quite like it how it is, the spiky nature of the houses is excellent
Thanks Allan, I suspect these work better with a more balanced scene to start with.

I agree with Emma, the elongated houses pointing into a white sky look fabulous. Can see what's said about rotation ... left to me, I'd try upright and mirror it to form an eye with the houses acting as eyelashes ha ha. Brilliantly done Chris - I'd like to try that effect.

I agree with Emma, the elongated houses pointing into a white sky look fabulous. Can see what's said about rotation ... left to me, I'd try upright and mirror it to form an eye with the houses acting as eyelashes ha ha. Brilliantly done Chris - I'd like to try that effect.
Thanks Carl, good idea about mirroring, I hadn't thought of that. A couple of tips if you are going to try, you need a really clean/simple foreground ( I ended up cloning a lot out) and since it's a 360 pano you really need steady light coniditons, yesterday was quite changeable and by the time I got all the way round the last shot had different light to the first so there was an obvious join. Other thatn that it's a few simple steps in PS, loads of info on the web

I really like playing with these too.
And that really is a cracking Mini planet Chris (y)

I would have preferred a 90o CCW so the main "objects" are protruding, upwards and out from the planet.
That's how my world works mostly, but of course this is planet "Chris" and it can be however you want it to be (y)

Love this shot Carl, like trying this in PS too, well done :)
I really like playing with these too.
And that really is a cracking Mini planet Chris (y)

I would have preferred a 90o CCW so the main "objects" are protruding, upwards and out from the planet.
That's how my world works mostly, but of course this is planet "Chris" and it can be however you want it to be (y)

Thanks both, glad you liked it.

Great effort, your tiny planet works rather well!

:clap: Brilliant theme interpretation, loving the tall/narrow buildings, I'd be inclined to rotate CCW.

Great effort, your tiny planet works rather well!
:clap: Brilliant theme interpretation, loving the tall/narrow buildings, I'd be inclined to rotate CCW.

Thanks both, looks like buildings at the top is the way to go :), glad you like it despite that.

brilliant image, I'm still scratching my head on how you managed to do this.
in a nutshell 360 panorama, stretched to a square image, rotate so it's upside down and then apply the Polar distortion filter, that's the easy bit, tidying up and trying to hide the join is a faff

THIS is how I do it, there are other ways though.
Thanks Chris

tidying up and trying to hide the join is a faff
absolutely!

If you want to give it a shot @gremlin16 try a row of trees to start with, or something with the ends pretty much the same, ie not a couple tall buildings, one side and acres of sky the other.
That way it'll match better.
(Don't forget the ends become the middle.)

Haven't tried one of these but really should sometime.

I actually like the houses off to the side rather than the top, when I first looked at it I thought it felt too uneven with nothing on the left hand side but that has actually grown on me and I now think it actually works quite well.

Haven't tried one of these but really should sometime.

I actually like the houses off to the side rather than the top, when I first looked at it I thought it felt too uneven with nothing on the left hand side but that has actually grown on me and I now think it actually works quite well.
Thanks Steve, I'm glad you like the sideways houses too.

That's a brilliant idea Chris, I love all those spiky rooftops, it reminds me of lots of the artwork you see in St Ives ...I was going to say I'd like a go at that, then I read the explanation and thought maybe not :)
Thanks Susie, it's one of those learning things, the PP is pretty straightforward, the rest is just getting a decent pano with a clean-ish foreground and even lighting ...

... perhaps you are right ;)

Haven't seen one of these for a while, Would a little rotation work to put the houses at the top? (y)

Haven't seen one of these for a while, Would a little rotation work to put the houses at the top? (y)
Thanks for taking the time, that seems to be the general concensus but I rotated the houses to the side because on top made it look a bit top heavy to me.

That's a brilliant idea Chris, I love all those spiky rooftops, it reminds me of lots of the artwork you see in St Ives ...I was going to say I'd like a go at that, then I read the explanation and thought maybe not :)

I'm with Susie :plus1: far too complicated for me but a great end result :clap:

Hi Chris,
Mineral - Well, what is there to say. This was always going to be right up your street :)
I actually prefer the 4 images of the minerals, they are all different, I think I especially like the multicoloured one top right, though it's a close run thing between that and bottom left.

I love the behind the scenes look at your lighting set-up too :)

Whole - I did one of these last year (or was it the year before), but had forgotten about it, thanks for reminding me (though I can't use it for 'whole' now ;))

Hi Chris,
Mineral - Well, what is there to say. This was always going to be right up your street :)
I actually prefer the 4 images of the minerals, they are all different, I think I especially like the multicoloured one top right, though it's a close run thing between that and bottom left.

I love the behind the scenes look at your lighting set-up too :)

Whole - I did one of these last year (or was it the year before), but had forgotten about it, thanks for reminding me (though I can't use it for 'whole' now ;))
Thanks for taking the time Tim.

Hot on the heels of the mine photo a couple of weeks ago, I know how much you guys just love didactic geological shots so here's another. In a vain attempt to spice up my penchant for photographing unutterably dull subjects I thought a highly original triptych was the way to go. I generally don't like lengthy explanations but this probably needs a few words: this is known as the trough and even though the two parallel rock walls may look man made it is a natural geological structure.

52-2017-Structure by TheWub, on Flickr

That's amazing Chris, they give every impression of being man-made. I don't know why it should be but the right-hand image appeals most to me. Good natural submission for Structure.

interesting place, it does indeed look man made and you are right i do love a didactic geological shot

Back