weekly LancsLee's 52s for 2018 - Another catch up - Week 11 - Wet

I like that photo, doesn't immediately shout out guard for the not guitar playing public, but clever idea and I like the abstractness of it!

Week 8 - Thick. Been a frustrating week either sitting on a number of trains, or being confined to indoors. So this week's effort is a bit cliched; we're quite snowbound in this little area of the Pennines and this reflects the local stone of the area covered with a decently thick covering of snow.

DSC07066 1 by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Nicely on theme. Plenty of snow there which contrasts nicely with the stone.
Mono was a good choice. I may have upped the exposure a little amybe (and added contrast or blacks back in). Dunno, have a try and see what you think.

Thanks Tim. Yep, I'll have another go as this was a rush job. Time was not in abundance.....

Emphasises the thickness of the snow well and well done for getting a shot in in a difficult week

Guard - I like the abstract images I think the first would work in colour too.
Thick - that is very thick snow I like the b/w

I do like a B+W but Its crying out for colour to be honest, there is some Lichen on the steps would like to have seen that little bit of colour

Thanks guys for the comments.
I do like a B+W but Its crying out for colour to be honest, there is some Lichen on the steps would like to have seen that little bit of colour

Allan, here's the original shot and, as you can see, in this area even the lichen is grey! Looks more like spilled paint.

DSC07066 2 by Lee Turner, on Flickr

I much prefer the colour version. The lichen looks pale green to me.

Hi Lee, I really like your guitar pictures, very abstract. The last one is very well lit, thats my favourite. I much prefer the colour version of the steps in the snow, it seems to have a little more life about it :D

Thanks Tim. Yep, I'll have another go as this was a rush job. Time was not in abundance.....

Tim
Two themes in one?

I like the original 3 step Thick. but detail has been lost on the B&W conversion.

Pete

Colour for me! Are they steps, of the natural sort in a rockface?

Thanks guys for the comments and apologies for the late reply. Work has totally taken up the past two weeks but hopefully there is a respite for the coming week.

Week 9 catch up - Abundance of wealth.

Had lots of ideas for this one, but unfortunately the rubbish weather and lack of time kiboshed most of them. Took this one the other night on a gloomy evening. Coming back home to East Lancashire from Central London every week, I really notice the disparity in wealth and investment in infrastructure etc. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of the UK. The City of London typifies this gap.

DSC07118 by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Week 10 - Heavy restoration

Came across this old building under heavy restoration, or maybe it's just being propped up, in the Northern Quarter of Manchester the other day. The sky was its usual 'meh', so I converted the image to mono. Even after correcting the verticals it appears that the scaffolding is all over the place when compared to the building.

DSC07090 by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Looks like an abundance of cranes as well. So still lots of money being spent:( I like the colours they all seem to tone well together including the sky. I guess it because it's being reflected in all that glass!

That looks like some vary dodgy scaffolding! The mono works well making it look even more abandoned :D

Heavy works well for me Sir, and nicely presented in mono.(y)

George.

Heavy is a nice shot, I may have been tempted to process it more heavily as well, go for the real old school feel. POssibly a cliche mind....

2 nice images Lee.
Abundance - colours and contrast make the Image.
Heavy - nice tones, plenty to look at.Well spotted.

Pete

Nice/different London skyline, cranes everywhere!

Heavy restoration, love the complex scaffolding job, but find it a bit tight in the frame.

Last edited:
Catching up....seems I've somehow missed all your shots, so here goes.....

Gate-I prefer the uncropped version, works well
People-bit busy for me, but works for the theme.
Stark-I really like this, though I prefer the mono version
Over-A bit too grainy for my tastes, but it works
Age-I prefer the second one, mainly as it has more contrast
Sharp- a good sharp shot of sharp claws. I'm not so keen on the oof cloth in the foreground, the second crop works better imo
Guard-A nice abstarct imege, but a bit difficult to identify if you don't know what you are looking at. I really like the mono one taken with the Hasselblad, though again, it's a bit difficult to work out what it is.
Thick-I prefer the colour version. On theme. I took a very similar shot myself a few years ago.
Abundance-I feel it could do with a bit more contrast, and it's a shame the river is hidden.
Heavy-I agree, the framing is a bit tight, and again, I would have gone for more contrast. On theme again though.

Abundance - Those old buildings at the front are so dwarfed by the abundance of modern tower blocks. great cityscape
Heavy - interesting Scaffolding Structure it looks like the Scaffolding is holding it together, good spot.

Hi Lee,

Abundance - For that angle you must be somewhere near Tower Bridge? Works for the theme, but with the uninspiring light, had you considered waiting until dusk to capture the lights? (May not have been possible)

Heavy - I think a good choice to go B&W. I think everyone has been fighting the light this year.

Time to catch up again. Thank goodness the financial year end is now out of the way. Bit of a shoehorn this one, but the ground is usually as wet as the village name.

Week 11 - Wet

Waterfoot by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the comments, much appreciated. It seems that time, and the weather, has not been on my side recently. Hopefully I can get on top of the challenge again and spend a bit more time on the image capture.

Tight in the frame ... what's this Waterfoot then?;)

Last edited:
Abundance - works for me, plenty going on in the image to keep me interested. And i think you're not wrong it seems everywhere i look in the uk there is a stark contrast between poor parts of the UK and parts that are better off.
Heavy - another cracking image, and good choice of processing suits the image.
Wet - bright sharp image for a little bit of a shoehorn, but nonetheless well done for the mini catch up.

Back