weekly LancsLee's 52s for 2018 - Another catch up - Week 11 - Wet

Mono for me. Maybe even darken the skull a bit. It's a great find.

People - A nice image with plenty going on, POV works well on this and fits the theme.

Stark - great idea for the theme, certainly depicts starkness, I much prefer the colour version but the 2nd image does seem a bit starker, good job (y)

I prefer the B&W & Colour for Stark, not much in it.As Mandy says, B&W is more Stark, Colour is more natural.

Pete

Nice find for the theme

Good find for the theme ... I am torn between the two images, but at the moment the colour one is in the lead for me .... maybe if the mono was a tad darker it would stand out a bit more.

Stark - I agree with you the colour version is better, good find for the theme

Works for me Lee. Could not get much more 'over' into the image. The grain gives it a great 20s/30s look. Very nice

The grain and tones remind me of a grimy Manchester from the past, I like that the view is looking down on bridges which are themselves over roads, etc. well seen for the theme

I can see at least three bridges there going over things. OTT graininess, I like. (y)

The more I look at the shot the more I like it. On first look I thought it was a little busy but after studying more it I don't think it is

Thanks for the comments guys. Wasn't too sure about this one as I had some nice digital images from the same location. This was a shot from a test roll in an Olympus OM2n to see if the film was still any good. HP5 can be grainy in 35mm at the best of times and Rodinal is probably not a first choice to use in order to minimise it. The negs didn't process too well and the grain is humongous with some uneven development, but the more I played about with this image the more it grew on me.

very grainy I would prefer a sharper image but that is personal taste certainly fits the theme

People works really well, Lee - lots of people in busy motion and the high viewpoint was a good choice to separate the people and set the scene.
Stark - great subject, showing the stark realities of life in farming and rural communities. I would normally favour B&W for this sort of subject but in this instance I think colour works best as you retain the green tones of the bones and the details of the moss (y)
Over - this is really striking; I love the dark and grainy atmosphere, which suits the busy city scene, and of course the high viewpoint.

I wouldn't say 20/30's as Ian said, more the grim 70s that many of us grew up in.
I really like it, it's an essay on metropolitan living.

very grainy I would prefer a sharper image but that is personal taste certainly fits the theme

that works, love the grain in there from the old hp5 film. Great view, where was this taken from?

People works really well, Lee - lots of people in busy motion and the high viewpoint was a good choice to separate the people and set the scene.
Stark - great subject, showing the stark realities of life in farming and rural communities. I would normally favour B&W for this sort of subject but in this instance I think colour works best as you retain the green tones of the bones and the details of the moss (y)
Over - this is really striking; I love the dark and grainy atmosphere, which suits the busy city scene, and of course the high viewpoint.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Michael, this was taken from the 22nd floor of the Hilton on Deansgate, some great panoramic views of the city from there.
Manx, I would also have preferred a sharper image and the 28mm 2.8 Zuiko is sharp as a tack. This was shot through a bit of a grimy window which has probably caused come degradation, plus the football sized grain hasn't really helped.

Excellent shot for the theme Lee. I really like the gritty image the OOT grain gives. So much to see in the detail , cars, trains, construction ; a real metropolitan scene. Well found(y)

Like this image Lee, works for me! There is as others have said a real old school feel to this one.

A very nice gritty shot. I really like the processing :)

Like this image Lee, works for me! There is as others have said a real old school feel to this one.

Over - works for me as well I like the gritty grainy feel of the image does give it an olden day look, good work.

Thank you very much for the comments. Have to admit that I was quite nervous about posting this image so I’m really pleased that it works for you.

Great photo, I like the grain, gives the photo a historic feel!

Love the grain - the shot is well composed and bang on theme.

A bygone Age - Lumb Mill, Cheesden Valley.
Built in 1786 the mill was built on the Cheesden brook which supplied water power to over 15 mills. The mills eventually succumbed to competition from steam driven mills and by the turn of the 20th century most of them had closed.
I've tried to photograph the mill a number of times but the colour of it blends in quite strongly with the background moorland. There is also a sizeable wind farm on the moors overlooking the valley. I was torn as to whether to include the wind turbines to give a contrast between the old and new, but in the end I cloned them out.
I tried a tighter crop on the mill but it lacked the space that this version gives. Still some more work to do on this picture and I think there's going to be a number of version before I'm happy.

Cheesden New by Lee Turner, on Flickr

This is a view from the other side, looking down the valley.

DSC06980 Old by Lee Turner, on Flickr

:agree: with Dave, good to see the stream flowing through the mill, certainly looks well aged

#1 for me Lee, though the second has a grittier feel to it, I think the view behind and the stream just edges it.

Nice find for the theme Lee

Nice Old Building Lee.

Nice capture, looks like the horizon might be out, or the spirit level they used when building it had a left handed bubble.

Pete

A bygone Age #2 for me ... the ruin stands out from the BG better. (y)

Back