weekly LC2's 52 for 2015 Thread - Week 52 : Christmas

Hi Tim

Crowd #2 for me....all of them trying to get " the " shot , looks sharp enough but guessing the weather wasn't entirely on your side

MOuth...love the closer shot , plenty of detail & a great contrast between the statue and the blue sky :) but like Sarah would have loved an even closer shot of just the head and neck

Hi Number ! for me the angle and the BG of the second just not working for me
Thanks. Number 2 was (one of my) my first attempt(s), I prefer number 1 too though.

Hi Tim

Crowd #2 for me....all of them trying to get " the " shot , looks sharp enough but guessing the weather wasn't entirely on your side

MOuth...love the closer shot , plenty of detail & a great contrast between the statue and the blue sky :) but like Sarah would have loved an even closer shot of just the head and neck
Crowd #2 - You're right about the weather... I'm not a people photographer, I had to try the shot even though it's not a fav of mine.
Mouth - I did take a closer shot of just the neck and head, somehow it just didn't work (in my opinion), it feels to me that you need the body to balance the picture. Perhaps a different angle may have (but I did walk around and tried out a few other angles). Not sure we've had a brilliant blue sky like that since I took the shot, it wouldn't have worked against a grey overcast sky.
Thanks for commenting :)

Taken at the 'Engine Room' at the Severn Valley Railway Spring Gala.
Quite heavily edited to remove 95% of reflections and distractions (and to straighten it).
So... Taken indoors, low light, high ISO (on a 7D).
I think this came out okay.

Close Up - British Railways
by timz2011, on Flickr

I do have another couple of ideas to try out this week, so if I get the time there may be another, completely unrelated shot.

Hi, very sharp pic of the nameplate, still a little bit of reflection above the lions head,
sort of missing the context of the picture though, would like to see what it is attached to, but that would no longer make it close up :thinking:

Its hard to please people sometimes :D

Hi, very sharp pic of the nameplate, still a little bit of reflection above the lions head,
sort of missing the context of the picture though, would like to see what it is attached to, but that would no longer make it close up :thinking:

Its hard to please people sometimes :D
Hi Allan,
Yes, I left a the reflection in above the head, kind of to show it was a photo and not something out of a book. (There is a little just above the top paw too).

This is the original (not very good) image (resized for TP)
View attachment 33309

Hi Tim :)

Quick catch up from me as I seem miles behind still...

Watery - Certainly fits the theme but for me it lacks context, maybe if it was taken from a bit further away with a narrow DoF to make the sign stand out more :)

Bold - Nicely set up this, good DoF and a good idea too, especially the extra wide crop :)

Relax - Nicely caught and good crop as you describe good thinking to get the image you wanted (y)

Vertical - The jutting wall distracts for me, a more straight on shot would be preferable to get all the columns in full view, very nice building though, and a nice idea for the theme, the bell/clock tower works better for me, liking the blue sky/clouds :)

Mouth - Oooo nice sculpture, I think an even tighter crop would work, looks very terminator'esk ... stands out real nice against that bold sky... Likey (y)

Hi Tim - nice shot, and I agree with Susie, looking at the original you've done quite a bit of work on it and it's paid off

Hi Tim ....looking at the original you've done a great job on editing that one, good choice for the theme :)

Have to agree wholeheartedly :)

Phew, that took a lot of work Tim and I admire your patience with it. As Allan says though it's hard to judge it when there's no context with regard to size whereas other objects can be clearly identified as close up as we already know what size they are, but then your shot wouldn't be close up :thinking:

i like it though after all that (y)

Yes nice bit of editing Tim but I do quite like the reflection in the SOOC ..... but for a different theme perhaps.

Week 13 : Machine

Thought I'd try something different this week, maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but unless I try, I'm not moving the game along.
This is a composite of various parts of 3 Steam Locos - BR 9F 92212, Gresley A4 (Bittern) 4464 and Maunsell Schools Class (Cheltenham) 925.

I've taken the background image as the wheels and rods on 4464, and then overlayed various close up shots of parts of the other locos, using opacity and masks to blend them all together into a montage.

Week 13 - Machine
by timz2011, on Flickr

Did it work? Or have I just created an aweful mess? I'm not sure... But I hope you'll let me know.

Kinda guesssed it would a train this week. Yes, interesting. At first glance I thought it was a long exposure of a train setting off ......... :confused:

Like Bob, I first thought it was a long exposure but that made me look twice and then you start to see more and of course the more you look the more you see. I think it works well.

Kinda guesssed it would a train this week. Yes, interesting. At first glance I thought it was a long exposure of a train setting off ......... :confused:

Am I becoming as predictable as Hissy ( @Cobra )? ;)
I was thinking of stripping down one of the motorbike engines in my garage for "Machine", but felt I would just end up playing with DoF again, so tried something else.

Last edited:
Hi, interesting idea which works well though a little confusing at first, certainly holds your interest

Am I becoming as predictable as Hissy ( @Cobra )? ;)
LOL Tim it's beginning to look that way though :D
That's an interesting image certainly (y)

Hi Tim, it is an interesting image. The more I look at it the more I'm picking out the individual shots, a nice idea and it works well for me :)

Well I like it Tim, a very well executed image.

Phil

Looks great to me Tim especially on Flickr where we can see a much larger image, well done for trying something new ...it gives real abstract style feel to the shot ...very nice indeed :clap:

Hi, interesting idea which works well though a little confusing at first, certainly holds your interest

LOL Tim it's beginning to look that way though :D
That's an interesting image certainly (y)

Hi Tim, it is an interesting image. The more I look at it the more I'm picking out the individual shots, a nice idea and it works well for me :)

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm glad I tried it now :)

At first glance I thought this was the piston arms (not sure if that's the right term) going in and out but then realised it was made up of more than one picture. Surprisingly it seems to work. Not sure why but it does. Nice one

I'm not sure TBH Tim ... but yes, definitely good to try something new.

At first glance I thought this was the piston arms (not sure if that's the right term) going in and out but then realised it was made up of more than one picture. Surprisingly it seems to work. Not sure why but it does. Nice one

Hi Tim - Now I also have no idea why this would work... but oddly does, maybe it's the colour combination, I too thought it was motion at first, but still like it even though it isn't (y)

HI Tim

the technical part of the Machine shot is really well done & for some reason I'm still trying to fathom I really like the finished images, plenty to keep me interested (y)

Thanks for the comments. I'm pleased that so many people like it. But don't worry, I'm not going to adopt it as 'My Style'. ;)

I'm not sure TBH Tim ... but yes, definitely good to try something new.
I know what you mean. When I finished it I thought... "I dunno, it's either good, or a mess and I'm not sure which".
I am frankly suprised that it's had as many positive comments as it has.

But the main thing was to try something new, and in that I hope I succeeded (even if it was Locos again).

Something different again this week, thanks to Adobe and Innocent :)
Innocent Smoothie Alphabet Fridge Magnets.
Originally taken using the (beer) fridge as the backdrop, the white balance was off and the OOC shots lacked vibrancy.
So. A little adjustment of the levels, some quick masking and a gradent background layer later and we have...

Alphabet
by timz2011, on Flickr

I like this, there's a lot of movement and my eye is lost in the machinery :clap:

Hi Tim,

alphabet - wow, that's really bright! Good idea for using the alphabet though :)

That works very nicely Tim.
Plenty of colour and detail (y)

Handy props there Tim, and clever idea doing the quick brown fox instead of abc .... nice job.

Hi, very colourful not sure on the BG but its certainly eyecatching

Back