Critique required LC2's Cosplay, Models and Railway Shoehorns for 2022 : Week 39 - Depict a Song

An interesting take on the theme. I agree that the man fiddling the dials adds to the interest.

I like this Tim and although I agree about including a bit more of the man on the right, the star for me is that "Moggy" van.

Technology - love the colours and the DOF, good choice
Unusual - I think this is a also a good choice Tim, I'm thinking that I would have liked the image to be a little more to the right. I don't know that the left side adds anything but the man on the right certainly adds some more complexity to the shot.

An interesting take on the theme. I agree that the man fiddling the dials adds to the interest.

I like this Tim and although I agree about including a bit more of the man on the right, the star for me is that "Moggy" van.
It's interesting how we all took different things from this shot.
For me it was about getting as much of concorde as possible into the image, whilst also framing the shot with the fuselage of Viscount, whereas for others it was the man or the van.
It just shows how each person can look at one scene and see different things. :)

I really like the combination of angles and curves in the foreground.

Unusual and technology both good. Theres so much interest in the unusual shot, and a fabulous Morry Thou van!

That's a great capture Tim. I do get a little distracted by the dark urn(?) in the bottom left though.

Beautiful capture on the model Tim but the plate? and dark shape bottom left look a bit odd in the frame. My eyes can't quite work it out.

You've captured her character as well as the clothes Tim.
That plate?

As ever it's a very evocative image Tim

Back to the moggie thou ... had one for my first car, lived in it for weeks when away climbing, ex-post office it had rubber wings so when you bumped into something ... no damage except the paint that had fallen off :rolleyes:

Great colours !

That's a great capture Tim. I do get a little distracted by the dark urn(?) in the bottom left though.

Very dynamic pic Tim. Love it (y)

Nice composition and colour. Her arms create a great shape.

Beautiful capture on the model Tim but the plate? and dark shape bottom left look a bit odd in the frame. My eyes can't quite work it out.

You've captured her character as well as the clothes Tim.
That plate?
Thanks. I do love Jamie's posing, she's very at home doing it.
I wanted to keep the plate and contents in the shot, but that meant keeping the pepper grinder (I think) in the image.
I did have one with more of the grinder in the shot, which was better from that perspective, but Jamie's pose wasn't as good. As she is the subject, I went with this one.

Back to the moggie thou ... had one for my first car, lived in it for weeks when away climbing, ex-post office it had rubber wings so when you bumped into something ... no damage except the paint that had fallen off :rolleyes:
I've never had a moggie, though my grandad did (Morris Traveler) when I was tiny, and a couple of my mates still have a couple of minors on the road.

Did it still have the restrictor plate between the head and the exhaust manifold?

Through A Window - Nice and colourful, personally I prefer it cropped tighter.

Technology - Lots of moving parts to worry about. I like the angle of the shot with the defined focused area.

Discarded - She definitely has the appearance of being left behind. I like the contrast between the background colours and here outfit.

Flora - The composition works well, did the flowers need arranging or is that how they were?

Unusual - I've just been following a few posts on Twitter with video of Concorde flying over from years ago. They were mentioning how small it actually was.

Snappers Choice - Great colours, the plate on the left confuses me a bit, along what appears to be a ruler in middle bottom edge.

Great colours, as has been said, and i love the expression on the model. It has a Russian-esque feel to the costume(perhaps it's the hat?)

Through A Window - Nice and colourful, personally I prefer it cropped tighter.

Technology - Lots of moving parts to worry about. I like the angle of the shot with the defined focused area.

Discarded - She definitely has the appearance of being left behind. I like the contrast between the background colours and here outfit.

Flora - The composition works well, did the flowers need arranging or is that how they were?

Unusual - I've just been following a few posts on Twitter with video of Concorde flying over from years ago. They were mentioning how small it actually was.

Snappers Choice - Great colours, the plate on the left confuses me a bit, along what appears to be a ruler in middle bottom edge.
Thanks Stuart. Flora - The flowers were fortuitously in place (I think she moved a couple of bit around, but in the main we left it as we found it).
Snappers - The plate is part of the window display. I liked it hence left in the shot. the 'ruler' is actually a name plate for the designer, but it's flipped over. :)
Great colours, as has been said, and i love the expression on the model. It has a Russian-esque feel to the costume(perhaps it's the hat?)
Yes, I thought Jamie's outfit had Eastern European feel to it too. I have another shot where the buildings in the background, and the fact she's smoking, give it a very Eastern Europe feel.

Week 16 - Tree(s)

Surely not, I can't actually be posting in the right week can I?

Shot at the Watercress Line during a private photo charter, therefore lineside in a spot the general public cannot access.
I feel the tree balances the loco in the shot, with the PWay providing leading lines through the shot.

Stanier 8F by Tim White, on Flickr

I think the relative sparseness of the tree contrasts well with the strong locomotive colours. Well framed too.

I agree. The tree balances the composition nicely with the rails curving around it. I like that the rails end in the corner of the shot... not sure what Pway is :LOL:

Nice detail in the steam too.

What stands out to me with this shot Tim, is how the steam almost seems to be mimicking the shape of the tree. The whole image works well.

Lovely image, fits the theme for me. You're lucky to have been able to get trackside like that and on such a lovely day!

Yup... perfect composition following all the rules :). I don't get the Pway comment either???

I think the relative sparseness of the tree contrasts well with the strong locomotive colours. Well framed too.

I agree. The tree balances the composition nicely with the rails curving around it. I like that the rails end in the corner of the shot... not sure what Pway is :LOL:

Nice detail in the steam too.

Agree the tree makes this shot, nicely timed and like the puff of smoke.
Carefully timed against the beat of the loco exhaust to get that.
Beautifully framed Tim and the track leads nicely into the shot.

What stands out to me with this shot Tim, is how the steam almost seems to be mimicking the shape of the tree. The whole image works well.
Yes, I must admit I thought that too (the mimicking).
Lovely image, fits the theme for me. You're lucky to have been able to get trackside like that and on such a lovely day!
We did have decent weather. Though some stormy could would also have been nice.
Yup... perfect composition following all the rules :). I don't get the Pway comment either???
@Bebop @HelenC PWay = Permanent Way = Technical term for the track and ballast. :)

Week 20 - Parallel (+ Tech?)

Once I saw what Glen wore to Portsmouth Comic Con, I knew I had to shoe horn him into the tech.
So whilst technically, this is an archive shot (shot the week before the theme), it was shot for the technique with shoehorning in mind :)

This is almost entirely in camera, with a minimal amount of pp to remove the green wristband and some of the costume embellishments.
it's not perfect, but it's probably as close to monochromatic as I will get in camera.
I posed Glen against the blue grey wall to match the hue of his costume (rather than an random background) and I knew what pp was going to be needed...

And oh yeah. Theme... The MCU is a Parallel Universe :)

Do I get a tick for the tech? You decide.

Vision (White Vision) by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Tech tick? Yup! ;)

Since it's you, I'll even overlook the rusty orange spots on the wall to his left.

"Do I get a tick for the tech? You decide."

As we like you, go on then.

Great shot Tim, made me smile. I think that it's monochrome enough to fit the tech mandate.

What's "MCU"?

Cool (in more ways than one) shot. Works for me on the tech.

Back