B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

A couple of recent ones from me

Stanton Park
original.jpg

Arlington on the River Severn
original.jpg

Is it just me or is LadyBower plug hole now getting boring. It's almost as though there are now marks, or a sign saying picturesque view/camera spot - stand here and in this case to get the impact on the plug hole you've pushed the processing to far. It's almost as the rest of the image doesn't matter.

However - Headstone tunnel - love that. Good processing, nice composition and positioning for the curve and lights to draw the eye away, good foreground with the puddles setting atmosphere

Is it just me or is LadyBower plug hole now getting boring. It's almost as though there are now marks, or a sign saying picturesque view/camera spot - stand here and in this case to get the impact on the plug hole you've pushed the processing to far. It's almost as the rest of the image doesn't matter.

However - Headstone tunnel - love that. Good processing, nice composition and positioning for the curve and lights to draw the eye away, good foreground with the puddles setting atmosphere

It's always a popular shot at this time of year as the reservoir is usually quite high so they run a lot more often. How you interpret the scene and try and make something 'new' from it is up to you. If you shoot for yourself though and you're happy to produce that image, what does it matter?

Dovestone Reflections
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Moody Alderman
by David Raynham, on Flickr

I think that works well, just feels like the verticals are off

I agree they are. I may play about with it to be honest, but I look at it and am still not sure as to whether it works or not.

However, I am going to reshoot it when I get time as the location is not that far from me, and there is a very good cake shop nearby.

Last edited:
One from Birmingham

…a hell of a take!
Transparency, specular surfaces,
graphic interest, appealing composition
wide dynamic range and cool rendition…
it's all there!

For a 'first try' at street photography, I'd say that's a pretty good shot!
Thanks very much! My instinct always leans towards trying to capture scenes *without* people. But now I'm trying to, yes, by all means take a version without. But then wait and see whether someone can walk into frame and make the shot more compelling. It doesn't always work, but I'll be pursuing it... :)

Dave, I think street photography can be great with or without people. Many of us get hung up (and sometimes put off) about the apparent 'requirement' to shoot strangers - but there are plenty of opportunities to create good material without people in the frame.

It can be a good ploy, as you say, to eye up a shot with potential, then wait for the write person - or thing - to come into the frame to make the shot 'complete. Have a look at this short film - you might find it interesting:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4KEUsAmL5g

Back