B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

Glasgow
i tried to convey the 'gap' between begging with a coffee cup and enjoying the warmth inside the coffee shop
lovely European girl - we chatted for some time

Dave, I think street photography can be great with or without people. Many of us get hung up (and sometimes put off) about the apparent 'requirement' to shoot strangers - but there are plenty of opportunities to create good material without people in the frame.

It can be a good ploy, as you say, to eye up a shot with potential, then wait for the write person - or thing - to come into the frame to make the shot 'complete. Have a look at this short film - you might find it interesting

Thanks very much, and I did! Apart from the bit where they were talking about film vs digital (zzz). But the rest was great. I think what I have in common with classic street photographers is that I'm interested in the "found", even if that's not often people. Unlike some of them, I'm not exactly interested in making a record, totally worthwhile though that is. I love walking around, just looking at things and seeing something... slightly transcendent. If I can capture that so others can see it, so much the better. If not, I've had a fun day anyway!

St Cyrus Coastline, Aberdeenshire

Olympus E-M1 + 12-40 PRO

St Cyrus Mono by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

That's nice Mike, well balanced comp', lovely sky, and for me just about the right amount of movement in the water. Very nice mono conversion giving good contrast with a full range of tones.(y)

George.

Township_12th_Feb_2.jpg

Township_12th_Feb_1.jpg

Township_12th_Feb_4.jpg

Township_5.jpg

Beautiful picture
Great composition
Dramatic scenery
Theatrical rendition… but the halo!

…my kind of theatre! Thanks.

@BillN_33 - Whats the story with the images?

Local Township in the Western Cape S Africa - I spent a few hours their with a "local" - really interesting

The kids at the fence, (school gate) are at a pre school centre, or a day centre for looking after kids whilst their mothers work or maybe abandoned kids, (which I doubt and hope not) ...... I never quite established which

The others were kids just walking around - quite a lot of them about during the day ........ hardly any men, (presumably out working or trying to find work), mostly kids and women

Last edited:

Overhead tungsten room lights - life as is, without intervention.

Last edited:
Overhead tungsten room lights - life as is, without intervention.

A very subtle way to indicate the age of the reader!

Very good DR and rendition…
you did not fall in the usual trap!
Thanks. But what it the usual trap?

I worked it a bit to reduce the headlamp brightness. So don't look too closely. As I might have fallen into some 'unusual' traps.

Last edited:

Contrast!

Contrast is because cobble stones are not so dark, specular
when dry. The usual trap is the mis-interpretation of the tonal
range's contrast.

I dig your kitchen… very charming!

Back