Liz's 52's for 2017 - Week 52 - Weather(and done)

Week 45 - Height
This tree is in the garden of the Boat Inn, Lower Sprotborough, near Doncaster. It must be at least 80' high.

PB280027Edited.jpg

Week 47 - Build
This is the same Boat Inn undergoing roof repairs at the moment.
PB280024Edited.jpg

Hi Liz,

Height - On theme, but it feels like the ficus wsa missed slightly. The branches encroaching on the left seem like they may have grabbed the focus.
Build - whereas on this one the focus is spot on and pin sharp :) You've caught the light well taking it from this angle and nice range of colours.
The thing that grabs my eye is the way the netting changes colour with the different backgrounds.

Hi LC2, The branches on the left were in the sun, which was in the west when I took it, hence them being brighter on that side. I guess you just have to accept that unless you have all day to sit and wait - it is next door but one to where I live, so I suppose I could have if I'd thought about it in that way, but I'm afraid I didn't. Does that show a lack of commitment to my art?? By the way, Sir Walter Scott wrote part of Ivanhoe here which featured Conisbrough Castle just along the river.

Build
Some tricky lighting conditions there, bright light and shadows. You've handled it pretty well.

Just when I had about given up on finding something juicy, I walked down an alley and there across the road was Juicy Fruits. Totally in the shade, but I think it fills the bill.

It perhaps shows a lack of a chainsaw ;) :exit:

Juicy - On theme and I think the right choice in not cropping tightly but including the whole of the building.

Hi LC2, Just read your response again about the encroaching branches and realised I had misread it originally. I know what you mean, but those branches are from a Poplar on the opposite side of the lane which is probably just as old and high and belongs to no-one. If they were cut off, even if they could be reached, it would probably ruin the shape of it as a beautiful tree in its own right.

Hi LC2, Just read your response again about the encroaching branches and realised I had misread it originally. I know what you mean, but those branches are from a Poplar on the opposite side of the lane which is probably just as old and high and belongs to no-one. If they were cut off, even if they could be reached, it would probably ruin the shape of it as a beautiful tree in its own right.
Yes, I smiled at that.

Juicy
Looks good, I would maybe have cropped down to the top of the lower windows.

Week 50 - Rustic - Glad I don't have to wash like this nowadays. A wash house at the Palacio da Mateus, Vila Real, Portugal. See the Palacio on the Mateus Rose bottle. Cheers!

2017-12-19 13.07.39.jpg

Week 51 - Festive - The three kings bring their gifts to the baby Jesus,depicted in tile at the cathedral at Viseu, Portugal.WP_20171220_11_34_51_Pro (2).jpg

Thanks and to missy at for posting them for me. Unfortunately, it's not warmer here yet. In fact big black clouds and quite chilly.

Hi Liz,

Broad - Nicely moody shot. I initially thought broad as in wide, not a'broad', but you do seem to be on the wrong side of the road ;)
Works either way for me :)

Rustic - Interesting info. I wouldn't have assumed a wash house, but I guess I can see it.
That tight in the angles are always going to be challenging. Have you considered using whatever transform tools your pp software has to have a go at removing the way the edges slope out? Dunno if it would work or not, but worth a play toi see if it would maybe.

Festive - Great find. Bang on theme :)
My comment on this would be again to have a play with straightening tools. The fact that this is made of tiles does accentuate that the verticals and horizontals are off, but that is nothing that can't be fixed with a quick bit of pp. (I have to do it to mine all the time!)

Portugal has offered up some great venues for you to shoot these last 3 :)
I bet the weather is nicer than here too!

Lovely Portuguese themes. I'm familiar with all this kind of stuff having been a regular visitor for 30 years now.

Week 52 - Weather - Well, I didn't expect this in Portugal! (Sorry it's only a snap, but beggars can't be choosers and I didn't think you'd want wall to wall sunshine.)

2017-12-23 11.13.15.jpg

A foggy day in Portugal. Didn't expect that (and it explains why you're driving on the wrong side of the road).
Perhaps not the most inspiring shot (as you say, it's a snap), but it gets you over the line and that's what's important.

Well done.

Well done on finishing Liz.

Completely agree about beggars can't be choosers - sometimes I've fallen way behind because I didn't want to post a snap, but I think this is rather a nice snap. I reckon if you cropped out the edges so you can't see the car (maybe not possible whilst you're away), then this would be a really nice shot with nice leading lines and a minimalistic look.

Hope the weather improves for you.

Thank you one and all. Yes I might have cropped it if I'd been at home, but not easy whilst away. Thanks again to Missycat for posting for me. Yes I have enrolled for 2018 as I've enjoyed the challenge and look forward to it, though I've already fallen foul with Week 1 as I'm still away and will have to pretend that this is my locality!

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - I bet a lot of juicy gossip was exchanged at that wash house over the years. Dappled shade and not being straight on shot helps the shot

Wk 51 - Festive - Shiny tile is always a challenge. With a little straighten and perspective adjustment when you get back you have the makings of a festive greeting card for next year.

Wk 52 - Weather - You know we still feel envious that it was only foggy :rolleyes:. As Bebop said, a little crop and voila, one atmospheric shot.

I was in Portugal this time last year and for TP 52 Week 1 Order I took THIS so yes it does get foggy for 5 minutes over there.

Well done on finishing Liz. :clap:

Back