Magpiedom's TP 52 for 2017 - Weeks 8-13

I really like the picture, fits the brief and I think you are drawn to the dolls eyes rather than the hand. Like Allan I do find it a bit disturbing.

Very good image for the theme, there is a kind of defensive/protective look to the little girl and I like the focus on the doll rather than the girl.

How awesome that you got to go to Tel Aviv. That's on my bucket list. The DOF and texture of the metal are my favorite parts of your "order" photo. It looks like some sort of fence, which makes me want to see whats on the other side.

For week 2, I think I'd rather see your daughter's face/eyes in focus than the doll's. I'm not sure what that would do to her hand (except throw it out of focus), if it would make it even more predominant in the photo. However, I do like the darkness of the photo; it's as if she's comforting her doll from scary monsters in the dark.

Interesting that you felt the hand dominated too much but I quite like it that way to be honest - it is after all the means of delivering Comfort so fair that it should hold centre stage for the theme.

Pretty girl, interesting focus, works for me. Super image. (y)

Last edited:
Song title - very vibrant I like the raindrops
Order - as others have said plenty of texture and the colours are good too.
Comfort - That doll looks worried no wonder it need comforting

Very good lighting, and as you have set the focus on the doll and not on your daughter very otherworldly and creepy. Great photo!

TY for taking the time to leave these comments! It's interesting to see what people like and/or don't like.

This week I took two shots to present. #1 is the one that probably fits the theme more, it's a body brush I took with my macro and tripod, together with an LED light panel to create the illumination/shadow effect. #2 I took whilst walking through Sutton park. It doesn't scream hairy (@BlueHaze :LOL:) but if you look closely, you can see some sort of weird, moss like tendril/hairs. This close-up fascinated me, so I wanted to include it in this week's theme as my "backup" photo.

Week 3 - Hairy

Week 3 - Hairy 1
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Week 3 - Hairy 5
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Last edited:
Like the brush a lot, though my eye keeps getting distracted by that blue in the bottom right. The second is an interesting shot but perhaps as you say a bit less "hairy"

Great idea with the brush, but I have to agree with John that the blue light in the bottom right distracting.

#1 for the theme maybe but I prefer #2 for the interest value and the lighting which is less harsh.

Thanks for the comments guys. One thing this 52 project is teaching me for sure, is to be more discerning on light, particularly splodges that look out of place or draw the eye.

This next image was taken in Selfridges in the Birmingham Bull Ring. The pattern of the stacked bottles caught my eye and I managed to cap a few decent shots. My only bother was the light source, my D5300 doesn't have commander mode so my speedlight is constantly fixed on top of my camera so I can benefit from the TTL mode. I know you can trigger TTL mode off camera with the built-in flash, but it's a bit of an arse ache so I just went for it on camera. Even though I dialled it down as far as it would go, it generated bit of a reflection in the centre bottles which I tried my best to remove in LightRoom. I like the end result but next time I might spend more time perfecting the light source. Anyway, hope you like it :)

Week 4 - Smooth b_edited
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yes, I can see why that would attract your attention Dom - it is an excellent subject. You did well really with the on board flash to limit the reflection as well as you have. (I should perhaps mention that the theme this week is Smooth not Shiny but maybe you can work around that minor detail).

Nice one, I like the pattern, the detail you have in the cap and the way the background fades. Looks like it is slightly off level but that is very minor.

As Carl says, you've done well with the flash.

Thought you were doing your own theme when I saw your title last night

Like the idea Smooth glass, good shot Dom I like it and as you say it was a pain with the flash, but think you did a good job. My only thought would be, a slight straighten :)

Straightened it a little bit I can't go any more otherwise the top will start to look wonky.

Thought you were doing your own theme when I saw your title last night

Nope, it was a moment of pure muppetry :D

Ahhhh nice subject and a nice idea for the theme, I would prefer more symmetry in the crop with the given stacked bottles but that is just my OCD :D - You handled the light well and like that you took the effort to use flash in store, nice one (y)

Ahhhh nice subject and a nice idea for the theme, I would prefer more symmetry in the crop with the given stacked bottles but that is just my OCD :D - You handled the light well and like that you took the effort to use flash in store, nice one (y)

Thanks DK. I really do enjoy flash photography, the challenges it presents, and the possibilities that it opens. I did think about cropping it to within greater symmetry, but I didn't as I wanted to keep as much of the image as possible.

Last edited:
The first looked like some sort of marine plant when I first saw it - nice idea :)

Thanks! It's some sort of hairy lichen. There was loads of it growing on the ends of certain trees and all my years on earth I never realised it could look so tentacley up close!

Comfort - for a bit of a rushed image, its cute and fits the theme.

Hairy - two nice detailed images for the theme, not sure on what one I like the best.

Smooth - I like this nice little jars all neat and tidy, and love the processing on the image.

Last edited:
Thanks DK. I really do enjoy flash photography, the challenges it presents, and the possibilities that it opens. I did think about cropping it to within greater symmetry, but I didn't want to keep as much of the image as possible.
Well that is certainly the main thing hey Dom, self satisfaction and enjoying your photography, all resulting in a nice image too (y)

Hi Dom,

Hairy - both shots are brightly lit and interesting to look at. I didn't twig immediately that the first was a brush, but once you know it's kinda obvious ;)
I think I prefer the second shot mainly because it's odd and has a wider range of colours.
(BTW, the blue light doesn't bother me :))

Smooth - I'm going to agree with the other comments, the lighting has been handled well considering on camera, but the symmetry thing bothers me a bit.

You used flash in a shop? :cool:

Well controlled and nicely processed, and very interesting subject. And I like the crop that you have chosen.

Back