Magpiedom's TP 52 for 2017 - Weeks 8-13

I struggled with this week's theme, I saw minerals as essentially "rocks and similar" and therefore hard to think of an interesting subject. That said, there have been some really great, original photos on here so I maybe need to work on my creativity :confused:

I've also been stuck indoors working virtually non-stop this week so haven't had a chance to venture out, but I managed to go for a walk this lunchtime to photograph this huge boulder in the local arboretum. Personally I think my photo this week is a bit boring, and I found it hard to frame an interesting shot, and the one below was the best I could manage. I've included a photo of the plaque too, despite the photo being maybe a bit boring, I think the history of this big hunk of lava rock is actually pretty cool.

"Rhyolite is an igneous, volcanic rock, of felsic (silica-rich) composition (typically > 69% SiO2—see the TAS classification). It may have any texture from glassy to aphanitic to porphyritic. The mineral assemblage is usually quartz, sanidine and plagioclase (in a ratio > 2:1—see the QAPF diagram)."​

:pompous:

Roll on week 6!

Week 5 - Mineral (main)
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Week 5 - Mineral (plaque)
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very hard when you don't feel inspired or when work commitments simply doesn't afford you the time. Good that you posted - at least it keeps you in touch and not fall behind.

Well done for posting, and it certainly fits the brief!

Good lump of mineral .... things look a bit colour saturated tho.

Hi Dom,
Mineral - Certainly on theme... Did you consider a slightly different POV for the shot? Crouching down / laying on the floor (or using LV and a tilting screen ;)) to change the POV can often significantly change how images look, simply because it makes them more unusual.
Onwards and upwards... I know it can be difficult when work gets in the way, but just do a couple of PABDs and keep with it :)

Very hard when you don't feel inspired or when work commitments simply doesn't afford you the time. Good that you posted - at least it keeps you in touch and not fall behind.

Yeah it was hard, unfortunately fallen behind the past few weeks but trying to get back on track.

Well done for posting, and it certainly fits the brief!
Well done on posting a shot Dom, on theme and a good explanation of it too :)
Mineral - I agree with every one elses comments.

Thanks!

It's on theme Dom, the plaque definitely adds some interest, what a journey from Wales to the Midlands. Minerals was a really difficult theme, onward and upwards :)

Yup, I thought the context made it more interesting. Walsall isn't the most interesting of places but the Arboretum has the odd gem :)

That sure is one huge mineral Dom, quite a deep depth of field for f1.8, shame it wasn't a tad shallower, but theme wise perfect (y)
Nice lump of mineral. Just not so sure about the background on the left.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. Problem was it was a bloody big rock :)

That certainly is one big lump of mineral! Some themes are more inspiring than others I guess.

Got to take the rough with the smooth and think outside the box when theme demands!

Good lump of mineral .... things look a bit colour saturated tho.

We are suspecting that the colour on our Asus laptop we use to do our photos isn't properly calibrated resulting in over saturated colours. I'm trying to research how to change it but it's not as easy as one might think!

Hi Dom,
Mineral - Certainly on theme... Did you consider a slightly different POV for the shot? Crouching down / laying on the floor (or using LV and a tilting screen ;)) to change the POV can often significantly change how images look, simply because it makes them more unusual.
Onwards and upwards... I know it can be difficult when work gets in the way, but just do a couple of PABDs and keep with it :)

Cheers mate. I did try a few different standard angles. I only had an hour for lunch so didn't take my tripod out for the low angle shots (and couldn't be bothered to get on my hands and knees as it was wet). Agree though, there probably was an angle I could have used that would have made it a better photo but hey, all part of the learning curve. Onwards and upwards :)

Last edited:
Both very nice shots, but the second has a living and breathing feel to it, love the backlightiing.

both good shots the symmetry of the first is very effective,
the very narrow DoF works well on the second particularly on the flesh of the fruit

2 great images, structure works really well with the framing, symmetry and background.

(y)

Really like the structure one, the mix of different amounts of light through the fruit is lovely. What fruit is it, is it an orange?

The shot for whole works well in B&W, the lighting is nice on the globe and figures. The vignette is maybe a touch strong for my liking, particularly as the figures feet fade into it.

Whole is a cracker of a shot, goes well in mono and love the jigsaw globe. Structure, great shot again, like the darkness of the shot and focus on the middle :)
Both very nice shots, but the second has a living and breathing feel to it, love the backlightiing.
both good shots the symmetry of the first is very effective,
the very narrow DoF works well on the second particularly on the flesh of the fruit
2 great images, structure works really well with the framing, symmetry and background.

(y)

Thanks guys!

Really like the structure one, the mix of different amounts of light through the fruit is lovely. What fruit is it, is it an orange?

The shot for whole works well in B&W, the lighting is nice on the globe and figures. The vignette is maybe a touch strong for my liking, particularly as the figures feet fade into it.

It's a blood orange and i made the lighting effect by make the slice thicker one on side (the left) and thinnger at the other side (the right). I also had to tilt the LED light (the one I got at Christmas) slightly to minimise its profile so it didn't appear in the background. I was very pleased with the overall effect :) I can't be sure but i think the vignette appearance of whole is a natural result of the lighting rather than any post-editing i did but i can sort of see what you mean.

Hi Dom

Mineral - Wasn't a fan if I'm honest. Meets the theme, but doesn't capture my interest and the perspective / colours don't really work for me. I'd have perhaps tried a different perspective / abstract or close up shot?
Whole - Complete opposite and a brilliant shot. Love the detail / DoF and the B&W suits it down to the ground. The lighting on the figures, jigsaw and background are just spot on. An instant 'wow' shot for me.
Structure - Love the colour and backlighting. Great perspective, well framed but just a wee bit more DoF needed as has been said would have helped (I do wonder if it appears a tad soft because of the subject/lighting though, rather than the DoF).

Cheers

Ian

Hi Dom

Interesting one for Whole ... nice artwork, looks a tricky one to photograph so I'd say you've done well.

The blood orange is a pleasing image with mono BG and illuminated red structure.

(y)

The composition on your whole image is fantastic, it just goes to show what some good imagination, a different angle and finding them ever important leading lines (The ceiling in this case) make a picture special, cool image :clap:

Structure, again very good, love the backlighting and the colours, another cracking idea, delivered very well (y)

You still with us Dom ?? :wave:

Yes! Just. Finding it really difficult to make time to take thoughtful well composed pictures that fit the themes.

Rushed Routine, Numbers and Dark yesterday round my mum's, then took the camera out to Coombe Country Park near Coventry to snag Attractive, Above and Power (Coomb Abbey owned by Royalty since 16th Century = old money/power).

Week 8 -Routine
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Week 9 -Numbers
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Week 10 - Attractive
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Week 11 -Dark2
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Week 12 - Above4
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Week 13 - Power
by Magpie Dom, on Flickr

Well done for catching up, some lovely shots in there.

The one of your daughter is lovely and works really well in B&W.

Above - I was thinking of doing something like that but don't think I would have got it as good....love the POV, the sunlight on the trunk and the processing. My favourite of your catchups.

Power is a strong shot as well, good light and a fantastic reflection.

Good to see you back in the 52.

Hehe it's definitely harder than i thought it would be when I first started. But I do very much enjoy it.

Unfortunately I have a smudge in my pictures when I put the aperture above F12. You can see it in the sky over the house in Power. I took my camera to Calumet to have it cleaned, but I don't think it worked :(

Anyone any ideas how I can fix it? Thanks!

Well done for catching up, some lovely shots in there.

The one of your daughter is lovely and works really well in B&W.

Above - I was thinking of doing something like that but don't think I would have got it as good....love the POV, the sunlight on the trunk and the processing. My favourite of your catchups.

Power is a strong shot as well, good light and a fantastic reflection.

Good to see you back in the 52.

Thanks Steve it's good to be back :)

Well done on the catch up, really sweet picture of the little girl.

(y)

Thanks, she makes a wonderful subject when she isn't being stubborn :LOL:

Great catch up! Standing out for me are attractive and power with the nice reflection. I also like the perspective in above, and the idea behind dark, although I find that one a bit too dark...

Interesting & varied set. (y)

Attractive is a beaut. The girl finding the flower attractive, making her all the more attractive.

That's a mega catch. They all work well and don't looked rushed.

Back