Mamiya Medium Format owners group

Steve, Simon and I are coming down on Saturday and will also be there on Sunday.

:D:D:D:D ..b.. bu.. but Asha if you are alone you'd be amongst all those digi guys;)

Wait 'til I educate 'em to meter for the shadows and let the highlights land where they fall :naughty:......................I'd av a right laff:p:D

just to put this thread back on track with MF, has anyone used the close up lens attachments for the Mamiya 124G .......I have some which bring minimum focus down to about 20 inches but i notice that they tend to make the shot soft in comparison to using the lenses without them..........I'm presuming it's simply due to shooting through another layer of glass, a bt like sticking a UV filter on:thinking:

Not sure if I've asked this before, can you get a Mamiya 6x8 120 back for the Mamiya RZ67 does anyone know ?

Thanks;
Pete

There's a 6x8 back but I think its for the RB.........not 100% on that

There is always the quadra back if you wanna go a bit bigger than 6x7

Err, its a 5x4 back that takes cut film, the image is cropped but its something like 3 inches square on 5x4 film.....again, not 100% certain but its something like that

hmmm, there's not a lot of it about the interweb, I know somebody at another forum that shot a square back on his RZ at 74x74, he used 5x4 sheet film and polaroids, but maybe I'm mistaken and it was just polaroids...I dunno

just to put this thread back on track with MF, has anyone used the close up lens attachments for the Mamiya 124G .......I have some which bring minimum focus down to about 20 inches but i notice that they tend to make the shot soft in comparison to using the lenses without them..........I'm presuming it's simply due to shooting through another layer of glass, a bt like sticking a UV filter on:thinking:

Sounds like you're referring to the Yashica 124G rather than Mamiya... I have a Mamiya RZ67 and a Yashicamat 124G; the RZ is much more effective at close up work and focusses much closer than 20inches (with most lenses anyway). I've never tried auxilliary lenses with the Yashicamat but have only read bad things about the resulting image quality.

If you really need closer focussing with a TLR then the Mamiya 330/220/line would be the way to go, as they have bellows, and a tripod device called a paramender which gives parallax correction.

Sorry, my error, i did mean the yashica 124g

Thanks for your reply......in some ways it's a relief to know that the réduction in IQ with thé auxillary lenses seems to be the norm rather than my photography skills , or lack of them as thé case may be.

Hoping to blow 2 roll's of FP4 through my semi redundant RZ this comming week... Weather getting better, me getting better & time on me hands (no excuse) Just I need some Dev Chems

a quick question regarding RZ lenses.

I picked this one up from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252088357603?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now it was advertised as "a separation on front ball edge It does not affect to the regular photo shooting" but due to the price i took a punt on it. It arrived today and seems to work fine although i dont know what he meant in that description! The only thing i notice is that the blue distance scale just spins round and round on the lens, it doesnt seem to connect with anything internal. This doesnt affect focusing as you do that with the bellows. So would anyone know what he was talking about?

Is this the right place to sell my RZ67?

Now it was advertised as "a separation on front ball edge It does not affect to the regular photo shooting" but due to the price i took a punt on it. It arrived today and seems to work fine although i dont know what he meant in that description!

Normally see "separation" as in "balsam separation" - can't see any in the photos, though. Have a look at the lens in sunlight, turn it around, see if you can see any rainbows.

OK cheers, should the blue ring do that too, I'm guessing not

On a normal lens that would be attached to the focus mechanism. If the RZ is bellows focus, I guess you're supposed to transfer the focus distance to that to see the DoF, if you want to?

I couldn't see the original listing so I can only go by your post. Some Mamiya lenses incorporate floating elements to improve edge sharpness, and you use this by reading off the focusing distance from the scale on the camera and turning the ring to this distance. If you don't want to use this, leave it set at infinity. That's the blue ring. As to the "front ball edge" I have no idea...

Last edited:
If the RZ is bellows focus, I guess you're supposed to transfer the focus distance to that to see the DoF, if you want to?

It's this. The floating element lenses have a separate ring, as shown in this auction (on this example it's the ring immediately in front of the mounting ring with the long line on it - that's a macro lens so you use a different line to set the floating element depending on which extension tubes you're using).

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Well after having my RB67 Pro SD kit stolen a couple of months back... I'm back in the Mamiya club thanks to @stumac

Apparently (not that I doubt him.. just not seen it yet) mint condition RZ67 Pro II with 50 and 180 lenses on the way. :)

On the lookout for a cheap standard lens now and I'll have my full kit back again :)

Last edited:
Never saw this until now. Just like the one I had before some **** stole it. You still use it?
I do indeed. I take it out regularly. I love shooting with it. Helps me slow down, think more and control every little element. I had it with me at the mega meet in June :)

Well after having my RB67 Pro SD kit stolen a couple of months back... I'm back in the Mamiya club thanks to @stumac

Apparently (not that I doubt him.. just not seen it yet) mint condition RZ67 Pro II with 50 and 180 lenses on the way. :)

On the lookout for a cheap standard lens now and I'll have my full kit back again :)

I can vouch for that as I sold it to him..... As new!

Last edited:
My Mamiya Press Super 23 has not had much use for a long time -- I renewed the foam seals around the backs and it was a 'tight fit' as the foam sheet was too 'hard' and too thick really -- anyway --- yesterday I had some more 'Medium Format Transparencies'arrive in the Post from Topham Picturepoint Agency who have held my photos for at least 40 years now with NO SALES ! They accept only DIGITAL now . Included was a Mamiya Press Super 23 photo I took in the 1970's at the Essex Union Fox Hunt from the Bear Inn, Stock, Essex of the 'Stirrup Cup' Ceremony where the Hunt Master gets Sherry from the Pub Landlord so I scanned it -- it WAS used in a 1970's edition of 'Essex Countryside' Magazine for which I got £25-00 then sent it off to the agency.
Hunt by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Lovely. Really like that!

Nice one. Fully boxed as well? Enjoy shooting with it.

Nice! I'd be interested to see how the 50 manages flare mine is hopeless shooting in to light sources but it's the earlier C for my RB. The 65 kl is much better.

My Mamiya Press Super 23 has not had much use for a long time

I might be getting a Mamiya Press on loan. My mum's neighbour is moving house and has one in the loft. He has been storing it for a friend and it has been there since 1976 so I have no idea if it works after such a length of inaction.

He says he can't sell it or give it away as his friend might want it back but he is happy to let me look after it.

He hasn't seen his friend for the best part of 40 years and doesn't even know if he's still alive!

Steve.

Definitely sounds like it needs a bit of love, Steve!

Back