weekly Mandy's first 52 challenge 2014 week 52 added and all finished now

Hi Mandy :)

Half - Nice little charm, liking the strong shadow as it adds a nice bit of depth to the shot, perfect for the theme.

Architectural - A good bit of HDR, for me it doesn't help the theme as it distracts from the building as the main feature, but as an image strangely I quite like it :)

Well i am sorry i am a little bit behind on my 52 challenge, i have had some rather annoying broadband issues but now i am back up and running i am furiously trying to catch up with the themes and my comments and crit. I still cant think of anything for the theme promise so i am moving on from that theme for now and will submit my entry for sharp.

My idea for the sharp theme is one of my spare blades from my surgeons knife which are indeed very sharp, taken on my trusty 600d and not much pp work done just a crop, sharpen and converted to b&w

Sharp

Sharp by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Nice one Mandy - it absolutely nails the theme and there's a lot to really like about the image. DOF perfect, background nice and dark and even though it's not flat black it works. Good clarity (perhaps a touch enhanced?) on the blade - focus spot on.

The only crit I can possibly come up with is a small compositional thought which is to lose the left 1/8 of the image - crop to where the thumb knuckle is as the really OOF bit doesn't add anything for me. it also splits the image more evenly into thirds leaving the tip of the blade pretty much exactly on a third, horizontally.

A super image and I think the wait was worth it!! Well done Mandy :clap:

Nice one Mandy - it absolutely nails the theme and there's a lot to really like about the image. DOF perfect, background nice and dark and even though it's not flat black it works. Good clarity (perhaps a touch enhanced?) on the blade - focus spot on.

The only crit I can possibly come up with is a small compositional thought which is to lose the left 1/8 of the image - crop to where the thumb knuckle is as the really OOF bit doesn't add anything for me. it also splits the image more evenly into thirds leaving the tip of the blade pretty much exactly on a third, horizontally.

A super image and I think the wait was worth it!! Well done Mandy :clap:

Thank you so much for the kind comments, on reflection I think I agree with you on the oof part of my thumb, I may see what a crop looks like later on.

Hi Mandy

Architecture - I'm on the fence with HDR dont think I understand it enough to make a judgement call either way I have seen some fantastic HDR shots and some not so clever ones - agree with the comments above think the sky / grass takes away from the main subject does it look nice in Mono?

Sharp - You have done well the focus on the blade looks great and the background works well the OOF thumb does distract me slightly which is a shame as the rest looks really good

Works well for me and I agree about the crop.

The delicate finger tip grip is perfect and also emphasises how sharp the blade is that it has to be held carefully.

Hi Mandy

Architecture - I'm on the fence with HDR dont think I understand it enough to make a judgement call either way I have seen some fantastic HDR shots and some not so clever ones - agree with the comments above think the sky / grass takes away from the main subject does it look nice in Mono?

Sharp - You have done well the focus on the blade looks great and the background works well the OOF thumb does distract me slightly which is a shame as the rest looks really good

Works well for me and I agree about the crop.

The delicate finger tip grip is perfect and also emphasises how sharp the blade is that it has to be held carefully.

Hi thanks for taking the time to look and comment, I agree with your comments I have done a crop just not had time to post it yet.

Hi Mandy,

Sorry I haven't commented sooner - you know how it goes!

I've just seen your Architecture photo and think it's fantastic - I love the HDR effect, I think it works really well with this sort of building, it really makes it stand out and it's not overbearing.
Your sharp photo is nice and simple, but effective, the focus is spot on - manual? I think the B&W processing adds to the photo whereas if it was in colour I don't think it would have worked, so good choice there.

Hi Mandy,

Sorry I haven't commented sooner - you know how it goes!

I've just seen your Architecture photo and think it's fantastic - I love the HDR effect, I think it works really well with this sort of building, it really makes it stand out and it's not overbearing.
Your sharp photo is nice and simple, but effective, the focus is spot on - manual? I think the B&W processing adds to the photo whereas if it was in colour I don't think it would have worked, so good choice there.

Thank you for taking the time to drop by I appreciate it, life can be hectic at times so no worries for not having popped in sooner.

Hi Mandy, nice to see you back with us, fits the theme, though you could probably crop some of the hand

I am have a start on my catch up with my images and they are sadly in no particular order, the rest I will post later on as I need to get to bed soon as I start my new job tomorrow. After just over a year of being out of work I have landed a job as a sales assistant for Buildbase, so I am slightly scared and excited. Both the images posted were taken from my ride out to Stratford upon Avon, which I really enjoyed but it has left me knackered.

Week 35 and the theme " Sparkle " this may need the help of the crow bar, I chose this image as the guys crown and gauntlets were sparkly and to me it seemed a good choice for the theme.

Sparkle by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Week 39 " big " Bubble I picked this as there was some guys trying to sell bubble makers and they were demonstrating how big the bubbles could get.

Big by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Contgrats on the job.. Can see you fitting in well there, talking lintels, blocks, and motorbikes with the builders. :)

The knight character certainly does have some sparkly bits on him. Lovely colours on the brickwork behind him too. Wonder if the window could have been turned to your advantage to frame him a bit more maybe??
Odd choice of settings here.. 1\30 at f13? Higher shutter would have helped as would shallower dof.

Big bubble there, great colours and reflection. Cool sky within which the bubble is nicely positioned. Like it a lot.

Contgrats on the job.. Can see you fitting in well there, talking lintels, blocks, and motorbikes with the builders. :)

The knight character certainly does have some sparkly bits on him. Lovely colours on the brickwork behind him too. Wonder if the window could have been turned to your advantage to frame him a bit more maybe??
Odd choice of settings here.. 1\30 at f13? Higher shutter would have helped as would shallower dof.

Big bubble there, great colours and reflection. Cool sky within which the bubble is nicely positioned. Like it a lot.

Hi thanks for the kind comments much appreciated, and for taking the time to drop by.

Sparkle - Think I would have cropped him at the waist to put more emphasis on the crown and gauntlets, but I love the position you've caught him in, reaching out to the onlookers!

Big - Beautiful colours and a lovely sky for the background (y)

Hi Mandy

Sparkle - I think many others have commented on the framing - I am not keen on the bar of the frame coming out of the top of his head. But other than that it is a great photo. Well exposed and perfect focus.
Bubble - brilliant shot. Lovely colours and the little surprise to find the leaves in the bubble really adds to its impact. Well done :clap:

I really like that big bubble ... you just know it's a big wobbly one. Great colours.

Hi, cracking outfit for Sparkle. Good detail, though I'd have been tempted to get in closer to the helmet.

Big, like it, especially the reflections.

Cheers.

Hi Mandy

Glad you've got your computer woes sorted...real pain aren't they :banghead: & congrats on the new job :clap:

Sharp....have to agree with PJm's comments re the crop, no other crit as it's sharper than a sharp thing (y)

Sparkle...well exposed & sharp & sparkle . Always difficult to get a clear shot at this type of event so you did well......closer crop would be even better

Bubble....superb in all respects , no crit at all :clap:

Hi Mandy .....just viewed your sparkle on Flickr and it looks much more sparkly on there ....must admit it would probably be better cropped for the theme but it's a super sharp shot.

I love the big bubble ....great reflections and colour ....really very nice indeed :clap:

Good luck with the new job :)

Hi, cracking outfit for Sparkle. Good detail, though I'd have been tempted to get in closer to the helmet.

Big, like it, especially the reflections.

Cheers.

Hi Mandy

Glad you've got your computer woes sorted...real pain aren't they :banghead: & congrats on the new job :clap:

Sharp....have to agree with PJm's comments re the crop, no other crit as it's sharper than a sharp thing (y)

Sparkle...well exposed & sharp & sparkle . Always difficult to get a clear shot at this type of event so you did well......closer crop would be even better

Bubble....superb in all respects , no crit at all :clap:

Hi Mandy .....just viewed your sparkle on Flickr and it looks much more sparkly on there ....must admit it would probably be better cropped for the theme but it's a super sharp shot.

I love the big bubble ....great reflections and colour ....really very nice indeed :clap:

Good luck with the new job :)

Hi thanks all for the lovely messages, the new job is fun learning lots to do with the building trade.

As for my latest entries thanks also for the comments means a lot, I still have a few things to do.

Well I am still finding things incredibly hard with trying to settle down in the new job, I haven't used my camera for a while I have somehow managed to forget how to use it and what settings to do for things. so I am sorry this is going to be a post and be dammed shot not sure if I will be able to complete the rest of this challenge, but I will hang on in there for now and see how things go.

Communicate

Communicate by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Congrats on the new Job !!!!

Sparkle - Good subject for the theme Mandy, a narrower DoF would have been good here to separate him from the bright glazing bars, nicely exposed though and real good detail

Big - Nice bubble, like this against the sky, shame there is nothing to compare for size, but due to the shape guess it was very big, really like the colours (y)

Communicate - A nice high key image, detail seems a bit lost here and there, maybe a darkening of the blacks and slight lighten of highlights would bring some back, box ticked though mandy :)

Congrats on the new Job !!!!

Sparkle - Good subject for the theme Mandy, a narrower DoF would have been good here to separate him from the bright glazing bars, nicely exposed though and real good detail

Big - Nice bubble, like this against the sky, shame there is nothing to compare for size, but due to the shape guess it was very big, really like the colours (y)

Communicate - A nice high key image, detail seems a bit lost here and there, maybe a darkening of the blacks and slight lighten of highlights would bring some back, box ticked though mandy :)

Thanks Dean for dropping by and commenting, comments taken on board it's all about adjusting for me.

Hi Mandy, nice bubble pic with great focus to capture the reflections
Communicate you seem to have lost a little detail but not to bad, DK above has given some good advice on how to alter it
congratulations on the job too (y)

Hi Mandy.

Can't believe that I haven't been into your thread at all this year!!!
Well done on the catch up and well done with the new job too :clap:

Can only repeat what others have said in terms of crit - but I do really like that bubble.

Keep hanging on in there - it would be a real shame to see you drop out now.

Sparkle - An interesting character. The image looks nice and sharp which is good. It might not have been possible but a front on shot would have shown more of the detail of the sword and regalia.

Big - You've captured some lovely colours in the bubble including what looks like the reflection of some trees. I bet this wasn't easy to perfect so you've done really well with this.

Communicate - Good product shot of the phone and a nice mono conversion. My only niggle is that the background material is a tad too creased

Hi Mandy, nice bubble pic with great focus to capture the reflections
Communicate you seem to have lost a little detail but not to bad, DK above has given some good advice on how to alter it
congratulations on the job too (y)

Hi Mandy ....I agree with the above on communicate, but well done for hanging on in there when you have a lot on.

Hi Mandy.

Can't believe that I haven't been into your thread at all this year!!!
Well done on the catch up and well done with the new job too :clap:

Can only repeat what others have said in terms of crit - but I do really like that bubble.

Keep hanging on in there - it would be a real shame to see you drop out now.

Sparkle - An interesting character. The image looks nice and sharp which is good. It might not have been possible but a front on shot would have shown more of the detail of the sword and regalia.

Big - You've captured some lovely colours in the bubble including what looks like the reflection of some trees. I bet this wasn't easy to perfect so you've done really well with this.

Communicate - Good product shot of the phone and a nice mono conversion. My only niggle is that the background material is a tad too creased

Thanks every one for your kind comments and suggestions, I am also glad that people like my bubble shot.

Back