weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2018 - Week 52 Showcase added & COMPLETE

Oval - Nice find for the theme, I love the textures in the this and how the rusty hatch stands out form the grey render.

Gate - Really like the Pov and how the gate stands out against the sky

Two well spotted and lovely shots.

Oval; I like the unusual shape of the water pipe cover. The rusty steel really stands out against the plain although textured white wall.

Gate Reshoot; again the dark steel bars really stand out against the lovely blue sky. I like the different patterns of the gate and fence, vertical bars for the gate, square mesh fence and horizontal barbed wire.

Thanks, Stan, I was pleased with the oval cover as I was struggling to find something for that theme, and it was a stroke of luck to see the gate close by. Those type of fences and gates were all over the steep hills but it was good to find one with such a clear view of the sky beyond.

Two good shots the gates quite strange looks like the gate at the end of the world if of course the world was flat, interesting piece of equipment in the oval shot and nice textures

Thank you, Allan, the gate was an interesting find, and I think the cover is for a water valve. It should have been shut but the lock was broken and the cover blew open.

Oval is nice, the Portuguese love plenty of concrete.

Gate is a beaut! Very nice find. Loving the blueness the other side, and topped with barbed wire too. (y)

Thanks, David, they certainly do! This was up on a hillside away from the main tourist areas so quite plain and utilitarian. Glad you like the gate - it was a good find and worth me getting down in the road :)

Oval
Good detail in the wall and the rust looks nice.

Thanks, Dominic :)

Andrea, I really, really like your oval shot...
Is that a machine gun or similar poking out ?

Thanks, Mark, glad you like it! I think it's a main water valve. The covers were usually locked but this one had broken and blew back and forth in the breeze.

Juxta - what a fantastic image for the theme, great detail in that easy jet plane, and lovely lush blue sky and sea.
Oval - an interesting find for the theme.
Gate re shoot - good sharp image, lovely find.

Thanks, Mandy, the plane and cruise ship were a stroke of luck really, especially in having the right lens on at the time. Glad you like the others; I was lucky that a week's holiday provided four images (one more to be processed)!

Oval is a very good shot Andrea, love the rust on the oval bits. Gate re shoot another good clean sharp clear shot.

Thanks, Dave, I was glad to find the oval cover as I was struggling to find anything oval!

oval - great shot, very light concrete wall and cover, but you can still see the pipe behind (y) I like all the textures and colours!
gate - great composition with nothing but blue sky behind the gate!

Thank you, Bernd, they were both lucky finds and remind me to make sure I get out and about with my camera and eyes peeled when I'm struggling with a theme :)

Oval - Nice find for the theme, I love the textures in the this and how the rusty hatch stands out form the grey render.

Gate - Really like the Pov and how the gate stands out against the sky

Thank you, Mark, it seems odd to go on holiday and take such utilitarian images but they have kept me going with my 52 :)

Week 14 - Straight

14 Straight
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

The final themed image from our holiday, and the straight edges of these tiles on the bottom of a swimming pool seemed ideal for this theme, with the added interest of the ripples of water and reflected sunlight.

Last edited:
Straight shot works for me Ma'am, great idea & colour.(y)

George.

Great shot for straight, love the colours and the simplicity!

Good colourful straight shot Andrea, looks good and straight :)

Thanks, Dave, I was trying something with the edge of the pool and then noticed all the lines on the bottom :)

Straight shot works for me Ma'am, great idea & colour.(y)

George.

Thanks, George, I do like the bright blue.

Great shot for straight, love the colours and the simplicity!

Thanks, Bernd, that's why I picked it; glad it works for you too (y)

Love it! and it's not even Straight. It's got ripple distortion. :D

I know, I know, but the lines are really, really straight when there's no water in it :p

Nice shot for straight Andrea, I love the colour

Hey Andrea,

Oval - Striking image. The light, the dark, the texture. Add to that, that it is w=something out of the ordinary. (y)

Gate (reshoot) -
Two good shots the gates quite strange looks like the gate at the end of the world if of course the world was flat, interesting piece of equipment in the oval shot and nice textures
What do you mean IF the world was flat? Anyway, everyone knows that at the edges of the world there is a huge ice wall keeping everything in!!!

It does make you wonder what on earth is the other side of the gate, and great to see some blue :)

Straight - That's the sort of image that make you wonder how it was captured. It seems to be from directly above, which would involve being in the water? But the lack of ripples says you weren't. I'm guessing either from a walkway above, or taken at an angle and corrected in pp.
Well taken and (y) for making us think about it.

Have to agree lovely shot for straight simple but great colour

Thanks, Allan.

:agree: simple, colourful, works well

Thanks, Chris :)

Nice shot for straight Andrea, I love the colour

Thanks Tilly, I think the colour helps a lot.

Hey Andrea,

Oval - Striking image. The light, the dark, the texture. Add to that, that it is w=something out of the ordinary. (y)

Gate (reshoot) -

What do you mean IF the world was flat? Anyway, everyone knows that at the edges of the world there is a huge ice wall keeping everything in!!!

It does make you wonder what on earth is the other side of the gate, and great to see some blue :)

Straight - That's the sort of image that make you wonder how it was captured. It seems to be from directly above, which would involve being in the water? But the lack of ripples says you weren't. I'm guessing either from a walkway above, or taken at an angle and corrected in pp.
Well taken and (y) for making us think about it.

Thank you, Tim :) After taking the Oval image of the unusual metal cover we spotted them here and there so I think they must be something to do with mains water in Madeira. On the other side of the gate was a path and a steep drop, but from this low angle all you could see was the sky so it was worth the contortions (actually, as you know, the tilting screen on the back of the X-T2 is really useful). As for Straight, it was a bit of both! I leaned out as far as possible over the calm water, and then tweaked it a little in PP (y)

Thank you, Tim :) After taking the Oval image of the unusual metal cover we spotted them here and there so I think they must be something to do with mains water in Madeira. On the other side of the gate was a path and a steep drop, but from this low angle all you could see was the sky so it was worth the contortions (actually, as you know, the tilting screen on the back of the X-T2 is really useful). As for Straight, it was a bit of both! I leaned out as far as possible over the calm water, and then tweaked it a little in PP (y)
It is useful to an extent, but coming from an 80D, the lack of flexibility of the screen is quite restricting comparatively.
That said, I usually reach for the X-T2 ahead of the Canons these days.

Week 15 - Unattractive

15 Unattractive

I took this about a week ago and was hoping to find something better but my time has been dominated by the new pup and I haven't had a chance to look for something else so here it is.

I know it could probably do with more context i.e. it's parked/abandoned in a boat park close to newer trailers and the sea, but I think the subject itself is fairly grotty and unattractive. I added a little grain to add more texture and a slight vignette to tone down the OOF highlights.

Last edited:
"Unattractive" shot is bang on theme Ma'am, well composed with good texture & colour. I should think the shot would also work as well with a high contrast mono presentation.(y)

George.

Good shot for the theme Andrea with good use of DoF to make the wheel and axel stand out

It certainly looks grotty but I have to say I do like a bit of rust but it does fit the theme

Unattractive being dumped how it is, but I do like rust. Good shot and on theme.

I agree, Dave, I like rust too :) That's one of the reasons I wasn't convinced about this image as I really like the colours and textures of rust, although the trailer itself is a mess and unattractive in that sense.

"Unattractive" shot is bang on theme Ma'am, well composed with good texture & colour. I should think the shot would also work as well with a high contrast mono presentation.(y)

George.

That's a thought, George, I'll have a look at that. Thank you for your feedback (y)

Bang on theme Andrea. Like the textures in the rust and the OOF background takes care of the highlights.

Thanks, John, I like the textures of the rust too :)

Good shot for the theme Andrea with good use of DoF to make the wheel and axel stand out

Thanks, Tilly (y)

It certainly looks grotty but I have to say I do like a bit of rust but it does fit the theme

I agree, Allan, I like rust too :)

Nice compo, good & sharp tyre detail, lots of lovely rust. :) Useless old farm machinery polluting the countryside .... me thinks.

Unattractive
I like the crop, it focuses on the wheel and rusty metal, without any distractions.

Great shot for the theme, love the light and composition and the textures of the rusty metal. But doesn't that look like a brand new tyre?

I think rust always makes for interesting colours and textures, good find for the theme

Oval - unusual cover, great find for the theme I like the rusty colour
Gate I like the low PoV
Straight - good colour and I like the way you have filled the frame
Unattractive - nice bit of old rust there good spot.

Nice compo, good & sharp tyre detail, lots of lovely rust. :) Useless old farm machinery polluting the countryside .... me thinks.

Thanks, David, I do like the colours and textures of rust but the trailer looks a real mess sitting on the edge of a boat park by the sea. It caught my eye because it was surrounded by nicely maintained boats and trailers.

It's perfect for the topic for me Andrea, love all that rusty detail in there.

Thank you, Susie, me too :)

Unattractive
I like the crop, it focuses on the wheel and rusty metal, without any distractions.

Thanks Dominic, it was surrounded by other trailers and nice boats so I needed to focus right in on the details :)

One of the best shots for unattractive Andrea. it's got detail, it's got blur, it's got texture and it's got more tread than the tyres on my car ! ;) Quite a fun abstract really.

Thanks very much, Tim. It does seem odd that a new-looking tyre is attached to such a broken down trailer!

Great shot for the theme, love the light and composition and the textures of the rusty metal. But doesn't that look like a brand new tyre?

Thank you, Bernd, I agree; the new-looking tyre looks very out of place on a broken and rusting trailer :thinking:

I think rust always makes for interesting colours and textures, good find for the theme

Thanks, Chris - I admit the rust was a big attraction :)

Oval - unusual cover, great find for the theme I like the rusty colour
Gate I like the low PoV
Straight - good colour and I like the way you have filled the frame
Unattractive - nice bit of old rust there good spot.

Thank you for the comments and feedback (y)

Week 16 - Shadow

16 Shadow by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I was still pondering subjects for this one when a beautiful sunny scene unfolded for me on Sunday afternoon. We were walking the dog and admiring the sight of the clouds suspended above the south of the island when I noticed the patches of light and shade over the landscape. I think this one best shows the contrast between the patches of dark shade and the sunshine everywhere else.

Week 17 - Beautiful

17 Beautiful

This is one of my favourite views, anywhere, and I am so lucky to be only a ten minute walk away. The bay looks west so we are often treated to wonderful sunset colours, and it is especially photogenic when the tide has just gone out so the colours reflect on the wet sand. This was a fairly understated sunset compared to some, but the colours reflecting onto the clouds and the beach made a beautiful scene.

Very Nice Andrea

Nice colours in the sky and silhouette of the tower adds to the Image. Maybe too much wet sand at the bottom.

Pete

Shadow works really well with the multiple shadows across the landscape, good clear shot and I like the yellow from the gorse

The beautiful sunset is really good for the theme, great coulours

.... a real mess sitting on the edge of a boat park by the sea. It caught my eye because it was surrounded by nicely maintained boats and trailers.
Sorry I missed your description, I wondered what it was.

Shadow ... lovely pano landscape, fab clouds .... shame about the FG shadow, and clutter. :exit:

Beautiful ..... sure is. Yes the red reflected on the sea is beautiful and on the wet sand, even more beautiful. :clap:

Very Nice Andrea

Nice colours in the sky and silhouette of the tower adds to the Image. Maybe too much wet sand at the bottom.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I did think about how much of the beach to include but of all the images I took that evening, this was my favourite. I wanted to include the patterns and I was also trying to avoid having the horizon right on the centre line. Decisions, decisions! :D

Shadow works really well with the multiple shadows across the landscape, good clear shot and I like the yellow from the gorse

The beautiful sunset is really good for the theme, great coulours

Thanks, Chris, we were lucky with the sunshine on Sunday and some fabulous sunsets in the last week. Grey and overcast today, though!

Perfect choice for Shadow Andrea, lots of contrast there, the sunset is very beautiful, the variation in colour even minute to minute is mesmerising isn’t it. Really nice composition with the dark cliff and the monument.

Thanks, Susie, Sunday was one of the rare days here when there was no breeze at all and the clouds just hung in the sky. Perfect for big shadows on the hills, and some lovely light.

Both bang on for the themes Andrea, love the shadow shot and it could of been done for beautiful. That is a great shot too for beautiful.

Thanks, Dave - I thought the same thing about Shadow as it was a beautiful afternoon and a lovely scene :)

Sorry I missed your description, I wondered what it was.

No problem :) I know exactly what you mean; just a few yards from where I took the Shadow pic was a big rusting farm implement just rotting away in the grass.

Shadow ... lovely pano landscape, fab clouds .... shame about the FG shadow, and clutter. :exit:

Beautiful ..... sure is. Yes the red reflected on the sea is beautiful and on the wet sand, even more beautiful. :clap:

Fair comment about the foreground in Shadow; I only noticed the wall and the signs when I had uploaded it :banghead:

Last edited:
Back