weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2018 - Week 52 Showcase added & COMPLETE

Week 10 - Heavy

A catch-up image for me as I was struggling with this one. I got an image I really like but wasn't sure it really conveyed the theme clearly enough so I think some of my son's weights and dumbells are the better option. There's even some heavy shadow for added value :)

10 Heavy
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Like this one a lot - very nice exposed

Heavy a great shot, composition is good and nice lighting, well done for your persistence with wet and getting that reflection

Love the lighting on heavy, totally fits the theme and B&W compliments the shot.
Wet, I am with brrnd, like the reflection!

Heavy - good layout and I like the shadow the B/W suits it
Wet - I like the reflections in the puddles

Sorry Andrea for only getting around to viewing now but glad I did great viewing.

Week 0 - Your Area: Love it, reminds me of a little country house my mother and father use to take us to stay in during summer time when a child.
Week 1 - Gate: Wow!! spent ages glaring at this superb. Agree with comment should send it to the Manx tourist board to use.
Week 2 - People, love the colours in this photo.
Week 3 - Stark: tried a similar shot the other week, thought i was going to faint, so well done.
Week 4 - Over:another superb capture.
Week 5 - Age(ing) Nicely on theme.
Week 6 - Sharp: Again nicely on theme.

looking forward to view the other 6 soon.

Walter

Really liking Heavy with the heavy shadow. B&W gives it the heavy serious feel. (y)

Wet ... well spotted! (y) ... seems a bit tight at the top, maybe for a reason, but it would be nice to follow the wall around the bend (?)

Great submission for thick, I love that very moody photo of thick clouds and rain!
Great photo for heavy, right on theme, well composed and great lighting!
Nice photo for wet, I like the reflections!

Thank you, Bernd, I was quite lucky with all three of those, especially having the props for Heavy under my nose in the house all the time :)

Hi Andrea

Good work on Heavy, fits the theme and nice feel to the image.
Wet, Nice colours in the reflection, but I would have cropped the top off a slight bit, where the wall seems to end.

Pete

Thank you, Pete, I struggled with the crop in the Wet image. There is a gap in the wall as there is a little lane there, and I considered cropping it but the road goes around a corner there, and without the wall it might seem from the reflection that the furthest pole was apparently in the middle of the road, if you see what I mean. But you're right, I'd rather it wasn't there as it doesn't really look right, either with or without the wall :)

A bit lazy, but I couldn't have put it batter myself! Nice images.

Thank you, Jon :)

Two great shots Andrea, like the dumbell and the dark shadows in it and goes well in mono.
Wet is a beaut of a shot, great reflection and how it just goes on, great colourful too.

Thanks, Dave (y)

Heavy & Wet shots work very well Ma'am, both really on theme and well presented.(y)

George.

Thank you, George.

Last edited:
Like this one a lot - very nice exposed

Thanks, Ian. It was a challenge as the surface of the 5kg disc was catching the light from the window, but thankfully it was just about controllable.

Heavy a great shot, composition is good and nice lighting, well done for your persistence with wet and getting that reflection

Thanks Allan, I did wonder what I looked like - taking photos of a big puddle! :D

Love the lighting on heavy, totally fits the theme and B&W compliments the shot.
Wet, I am with brrnd, like the reflection!

Thank you, Roger :)

Heavy - good layout and I like the shadow the B/W suits it
Wet - I like the reflections in the puddles

Thank you, the sore back and wet feet were worth it, then :D

Sorry Andrea for only getting around to viewing now but glad I did great viewing.

Week 0 - Your Area: Love it, reminds me of a little country house my mother and father use to take us to stay in during summer time when a child.
Week 1 - Gate: Wow!! spent ages glaring at this superb. Agree with comment should send it to the Manx tourist board to use.
Week 2 - People, love the colours in this photo.
Week 3 - Stark: tried a similar shot the other week, thought i was going to faint, so well done.
Week 4 - Over:another superb capture.
Week 5 - Age(ing) Nicely on theme.
Week 6 - Sharp: Again nicely on theme.

looking forward to view the other 6 soon.

Walter

Thank you for taking the time to go all the way back and comment, Walter - much appreciated. Those horses at the gate have been popular so I definitely owe them a couple of carrots :D

Really liking Heavy with the heavy shadow. B&W gives it the heavy serious feel. (y)

Wet ... well spotted! (y) ... seems a bit tight at the top, maybe for a reason, but it would be nice to follow the wall around the bend (?)

Thanks David, I think B&W was the best choice for the first one as the scene was almost monochrome anyway. Yes, the Wet image is tight at the top and I was in a quandary about what to leave in or crop. I didn't want to lose the curve at the top and give the impression that the furthest pole was in the middle of the road :D

Good job on the Wet shot and you've captured the essence of the theme.

Thank you, Stan.

Hi Andrea

Heavy - Moody yet Contrasty and to the point. What's not to like

Wet - While scrolling through I initially only saw the lower half of the picture and imagined it was a part of a stream / millpond / canal or something like that, it wasn't until I looked properly I realised it was a puddle by the side of a road.
So I think (y) for coming up with something that you need to look properly at. Splendid.

Heavy is a really nicely lit and composed shot, I like it a lot.

Heavy

That's a really good idea and shot, lovely lightning and processing.

Hi Andrea

Heavy - Moody yet Contrasty and to the point. What's not to like

Wet - While scrolling through I initially only saw the lower half of the picture and imagined it was a part of a stream / millpond / canal or something like that, it wasn't until I looked properly I realised it was a puddle by the side of a road.
So I think (y) for coming up with something that you need to look properly at. Splendid.

Thanks Mark, Dominic and TIm for visiting and leaving feedback; much appreciated and I'm glad you like 'Heavy' as it ended up close to what I saw in my mind's eye.

Thanks for the additional comments about 'Wet', Tim. I had expected to head to the sea for that one but the strong reflection really caught my eye!

I do have my image for Juxtaposition but may not have the opportunity to process and post in between packing and travelling off on holiday tomorrow. I hope I can get that done next week and also think of something for Oval before the next theme is announced! :confused:

Last edited:
Hi Andrea

Heavy I really like this nice detail and contrast great mono conversion.

Wet: Lovely reflections and some nice details

Week 12 - Juxtaposition

12 Juxtaposition

Juxtaposition: "An act or instance of placing close together or side by side, especially for comparison or contrast."

I had my image, as I said in Sunday's post, and planned to process and post it from our holiday, but yesterday it was kicked to the side by this one. We're staying in the hills on the east coast of Madeira and while admiring the view yesterday afternoon I noticed a cruise ship departing from Funchal, and then an Easyjet flight turned sharply onto its final approach to the airport and descended way below us. Most of the flights arrive from the north and we don't see or hear them, but this one was routed south and then made a sharp turn back towards the airport, and this was the result.

It was a hazy day and the ship was some way out so not as clear as the aircraft, and it's a fairly heavy crop, but not only are they contrasting methods of travel but I just love the way the aircraft was so low that it appears below the ship.

Last edited:
Great shot for the theme Andrea

Cracking image for the theme Andrea with the potion of the plane it looks like the cruise ship could be flying :D

Major share-holder in EasyJet? "Hey, Stelios, couldn't do me a favour could you?" :rolleyes:

Lovely shot indeed. I can't add to the superlatives written above.

Oh lucky you, holidaying in Madeira, seeing that and shooting it! Juxtaposition indeed. :clap:

Justaposição = overlap

Amazing photo for the theme, at first I thought there was photoshopping involved... but no, just brilliant timing!

Great shot for the theme Andrea

Cracking image for the theme Andrea with the potion of the plane it looks like the cruise ship could be flying :D

Now that is one cracking shot Andrea, bang on theme and very well taken. Like the angle the pilot is taking the plane with the cruise ship in the bg (y)(y)

Brilliant Andrea. Well caught and bang on theme(y)(y)

What a spot of luck makes a great image for the awful theme

Great shot for the theme, you don't often get to be above civilian planes to be able to take a shot like that.
Nowt wrong with the haze, it emphasises the distance.

Juxtaposition

That's really well caught and good you had a camera handy.

Major share-holder in EasyJet? "Hey, Stelios, couldn't do me a favour could you?" :rolleyes:

Lovely shot indeed. I can't add to the superlatives written above.

Oh lucky you, holidaying in Madeira, seeing that and shooting it! Juxtaposition indeed. :clap:

Justaposição = overlap

Amazing photo for the theme, at first I thought there was photoshopping involved... but no, just brilliant timing!

Juxtaposition - good timing, well done great photo for the theme.

Same here !

Great shot, well done

Thank you very much for all of the positive comments :D The timing was pure luck; most of the flights approach from the other direction so we don't see or hear them, but I had been taking photos of a previous flight as it descended below us onto its final approach so I had my longest lens on already. When this one was making the tight turn in the bay I realised the cruise ship had sailed into clear view and managed to get this crazy angle. I was quite chuffed ;)

Week 13 - Oval

13 Oval

I was struggling to find anything oval until I spotted this open cover for a water pipe in a wall at a vantage point. The cover was open so it provided two ovals, a circle and some lovely red rust too!

I am working on my laptop and having some issues with the colours again so if this doesn't look right when I get home I will re-edit and upload. It was taken in strong sunshine so maybe the contrast is causing some issues.

Last edited:
Week 1 (reshoot) - Gate

01 Gate (reshoot) by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Only a short distance from the water pipe above, in a wall at the viewpoint above the lovely fishing village of Camara de Lobos in Madeira, I saw the opportunity to capture this angle of a security gate with a steep drop on the other side.

Again I'm not sure if there are some colour issues; if so I will edit once I'm home.

Two well spotted and lovely shots.

Oval; I like the unusual shape of the water pipe cover. The rusty steel really stands out against the plain although textured white wall.

Gate Reshoot; again the dark steel bars really stand out against the lovely blue sky. I like the different patterns of the gate and fence, vertical bars for the gate, square mesh fence and horizontal barbed wire.

Two good shots the gates quite strange looks like the gate at the end of the world if of course the world was flat, interesting piece of equipment in the oval shot and nice textures

Oval is nice, the Portuguese love plenty of concrete.

Gate is a beaut! Very nice find. Loving the blueness the other side, and topped with barbed wire too. (y)

Andrea, I really, really like your oval shot...
Is that a machine gun or similar poking out ?

oval - great shot, very light concrete wall and cover, but you can still see the pipe behind (y) I like all the textures and colours!
gate - great composition with nothing but blue sky behind the gate!

Back