weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2019 - 19 & 20 DECAY & FREE WEEK added

Brrrrrrr.... nice shapes in there!

Thanks, Dave, there certainly are! And yes, it was very "brrrr"!

Great shot for wet Andrea, love the whole image and great that the whites are white and not blown. Even the editing makes it look like an old image.

It's a strange one, Dave - very grey day and bluey-grey water but breaking into really white spray as the waves hit the beach. Exposure and PP was a challenge but it's almost as it looked to the eye.

Wet
Looks good to me. It's like a giant wall of water, because there is nothing to give it any scale (not a criticism).

Thanks, Dominic, I know what you mean - the waves were only about 18 inches/2 feet high as they broke onto the beach but it could be any height at all from the image. If you view the full size version you can see the odd little piece of seaweed suspended in the water.

Superb. Better without the mono conversion, I reckon. As you say, the hint of blue looks good.

Thank you, Bob. I took a few like this yesterday so when I get the chance I will have another look and see if B&W suits some of them, but the bluey-grey stood out in this one :)

Fantastic energy in this image!:clap:
Achingly sharp details in the breaking wave, and exceedingly well composed.
I too like the colour....the cool tones of the water behind are perfectly complimented by the fizzy whites at the front of the wave.
Very nicely taken image Andrea, and glad you're feeling better!(y)

Nice shot of the breaking wave, it shows the power of the water, I would keep the colour too

Love your wet shot, makes me feel cold just looking at it.

Well that image is nice and wet Andrea. Looks 'orrible and cold there

As others have said the tones certainly give it a very cold feel. Love the choppiness of the sea with the waves. I love the sea but don’t get to the coast often enough. Hope your cold has long gone by now.

Hi Andrea

Rough - Wow, loads to look at, loads of details, great tone and really stands out form the background. This is superb.
Object - I don't generally like portraits of pets but you've really captured some personality in that. Honestly, the fact I looked at it for more than 2 seconds speaks volumes.
Wet - nice, interesting formations in the waves.

I look forward to "more rough ploughing action". Not sure if XXX is in the list of weekly themes? ;)

Fantastic energy in this image!:clap:
Achingly sharp details in the breaking wave, and exceedingly well composed.
I too like the colour....the cool tones of the water behind are perfectly complimented by the fizzy whites at the front of the wave.
Very nicely taken image Andrea, and glad you're feeling better!(y)

Thank you, Gareth :) It has taken a ridiculous amount of time to get back into the swing of things but I'm ready to enter the battle again. It was a windy day and very stormy in this little bay, and I have decided to use another one from the same location for my 'Free' week as the colours and shapes in the waves were fantastic.

I love that shot, Andrea. Simple and minimal but full of movement and powerful at the same time.

Thanks, Stan - I had lots to choose from but I did like the motion and power in this wave.

That sea certainly has an icy cold look Andrea, the colour tones work well.

Thanks Susie, it was very cold and a real battle to stand upright at times!

Nice shot of the breaking wave, it shows the power of the water, I would keep the colour too

Thanks Allan, glad you like the hint of colour.

Love your wet shot, makes me feel cold just looking at it.

Thanks Roger, it certainly was very cold!

Liking your shot for Wet Andrea. Good timing on the shot. It has a strong energy to it and I think leaving the subtle colours in was a very good move. Nice :)

Thank you, Lee, it really was a strong tide and (if I can stand upright!) I want to go back in another gale and concentrate on the waves as the motion was amazing.

Well that image is nice and wet Andrea. Looks 'orrible and cold there

Thanks Ian, it certainly was! :)

As others have said the tones certainly give it a very cold feel. Love the choppiness of the sea with the waves. I love the sea but don’t get to the coast often enough. Hope your cold has long gone by now.

Thanks Mandy, I'm lucky to be surrounded by coast and beaches but it's easy to take it for granted and on days when it's stormy I usually stay safely inside! Feeling back to normal now, thank you, and ready to get stuck into the 52 again.

Hi Andrea

Rough - Wow, loads to look at, loads of details, great tone and really stands out form the background. This is superb.
Object - I don't generally like portraits of pets but you've really captured some personality in that. Honestly, the fact I looked at it for more than 2 seconds speaks volumes.
Wet - nice, interesting formations in the waves.

I look forward to "more rough ploughing action". Not sure if XXX is in the list of weekly themes? ;)

:ROFLMAO: Thanks for the unique feedback, Nick! I'm afraid the ploughing matches are over for this season :) Glad you like the recent images and chuffed that you liked our doggy. She does have compelling eyes.

Week 10 - Free Week

10 Free Theme - Stormy Waves
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Trying to catch up again after the cold from hell, and with no set theme for week 10, here is one I took in the correct week. The waves are crashing on to rocks at the base of steep cliffs at Fleshwick, Isle of Man, the same location as my previous image. And yes, the sea really was that colour!

I have my images for Entrance and (possibly) Young in the camera so hopefully will be able to get up to date this week.

Last edited:
Week 11 - Entrance

11 Entrance
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I visited a few locations for this one and have a fine selection of images of doors, gates and driveways, but having finally sorted through them tonight this is my favourite because of the bold red door, the lovely old stonework and the flowers on the step. I think it looks really welcoming.

I don't know what the plastic thingummy is on the bottom left - any ideas?

Last edited:
Nice texture in the rocks and sea, who would have known the Irish changes to blue at some point, I was brought up by the Irish Sea it was always a murky brown colour at our end

The red door is a very strong image love the off centre placement of the door, the plastic thingy, probably a cable carrier.

Nice texture in the rocks and sea, who would have known the Irish changes to blue at some point, I was brought up by the Irish Sea it was always a murky brown colour at our end

The red door is a very strong image love the off centre placement of the door, the plastic thingy, probably a cable carrier.

Thanks Allan, the Irish Sea does have its moments! On this day the sea on the eastern side of the island was quite grey but on the west we were treated to this lovely colour, even though it was rough and very windy.

Glad you like the door - it was the one that really caught my eye in the first place.

Free week is a great image Andrea, loving the waves crashing on to the rocks at the bottom of the cliff.
Entrance is a nice and colourful image and good that you left the plant in too.

Thanks, Dave, I think the bold red colour makes that one.

Two superb images Andrea!
Free: Another first class waves image....so sharp, vivid and full of energy! The colours are simply fantastic! Cannot be faulted!
Entrance: Great details and colours....the red door pops off the page! I do like the composition and as for what that thingummy is....no idea but those 'channels' that run down each side are curious....could be some sort of method of securing a tube or pipe to it.
Whatever it is, it's an ace photo!(y)

Nice free image Andrea. That really does look cold!

I really like the entrance image. Nice colour and texture throughout. I personally would have somehow cloned out the white plastic thingie though

Distant - I like the letterbox crop and the lovely colours in the sky I love the other view too.
Cold - edible props yum, looks tasty as well as cold.
Waiting - good DoF and well processed, great image.
Rough - Great shot, The Horses really stand out.
Object - He is beautiful, lovely details. great DoF
Wet - glad you kept the blue tones.
Free - lovely crashing waves, well captured.
Entrance - good choice I agree the Strong red against the stones looks good.

Wet, Free and Entrance are all lovely images. They all have great contrast and the colours are bang on - very well thought out, composed and presented images, i'm jealous.

Hi Andrea,

Bit of a comments catch-up from me...

Wet - Glad you didn't go mono, as you say the hint of colour really works well. The shot really sells the power of the sea.
You caught this just at the right second.

Free - More 'power of the elements', but this time a brighter day maybe? The colour of the sea makes me think the sky must have been blue, even if it was blowy.

Entrance - As you say, the bold red of the door does stand out against the stonework. Content aware fill would quickly deal with the plastic thingymabob.

Two superb images Andrea!
Free: Another first class waves image....so sharp, vivid and full of energy! The colours are simply fantastic! Cannot be faulted!
Entrance: Great details and colours....the red door pops off the page! I do like the composition and as for what that thingummy is....no idea but those 'channels' that run down each side are curious....could be some sort of method of securing a tube or pipe to it.
Whatever it is, it's an ace photo!(y)

Thank, Gareth, I do love the sea and could happily watch waves for ages :) I was drawn to this bright red door so I'm glad it has caught the eye for you, too.

Great colours on the red door Andrea, and nice lead up from the steps :)

Thanks, Carl - as soon as I saw it I knew I could bin my other shots (y)

Superb images for both FREE and ENTRANCE. Nothing else to add, they speak for themselves ….. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you very much, Bob - I was quite pleased to find the red door but wish I could find compelling subjects for the themes since then :banghead:

Nice free image Andrea. That really does look cold!

I really like the entrance image. Nice colour and texture throughout. I personally would have somehow cloned out the white plastic thingie though

Thanks, Ian, it was very cold and windy! On reflection, I agree that I should have got rid of the plastic thing but I had already done a little cloning on the wall to get rid of an odd patch of white paint so I think mentally I had tinkered with it enough :)

Distant - I like the letterbox crop and the lovely colours in the sky I love the other view too.
Cold - edible props yum, looks tasty as well as cold.
Waiting - good DoF and well processed, great image.
Rough - Great shot, The Horses really stand out.
Object - He is beautiful, lovely details. great DoF
Wet - glad you kept the blue tones.
Free - lovely crashing waves, well captured.
Entrance - good choice I agree the Strong red against the stones looks good.

Thank you so much for the catch-up, Alison, your comments are much appreciated (y)

Wet, Free and Entrance are all lovely images. They all have great contrast and the colours are bang on - very well thought out, composed and presented images, i'm jealous.

Thanks very much, Jim, you are very kind!

Hi Andrea,

Bit of a comments catch-up from me...

Wet - Glad you didn't go mono, as you say the hint of colour really works well. The shot really sells the power of the sea.
You caught this just at the right second.

Free - More 'power of the elements', but this time a brighter day maybe? The colour of the sea makes me think the sky must have been blue, even if it was blowy.

Entrance - As you say, the bold red of the door does stand out against the stonework. Content aware fill would quickly deal with the plastic thingymabob.

Hi Tim, and thank you for the catch-up comments. Hard to believe it now, but both Wet and Free were taken in almost the same location at almost the same time, but the light direction and conditions were changing and unsettled. You're right, the blue sky showed through from time to time, hence the different tones in the sea.

On reflection, I agree about the plastic thingy but I had already done a little cloning on the wall to get rid of some white paint so I think mentally I felt I had tinkered with it enough :)

As I just posted in the Discussion thread:
Sorry I have been absent and silent. I was really busy and missed a couple of themes, then wasn't happy enough to post my catch-up efforts and so find myself four themes behind now. I am having a full day out with the camera tomorrow and determined to get images that I am happy with, and then will embark around the threads to catch up with everyone next week.

As I just posted in the Discussion thread:
Sorry I have been absent and silent. I was really busy and missed a couple of themes, then wasn't happy enough to post my catch-up efforts and so find myself four themes behind now. I am having a full day out with the camera tomorrow and determined to get images that I am happy with, and then will embark around the threads to catch up with everyone next week.

Been in exactly the same position Andrea, it’s really hard to catch up when you miss a week or so ! Must admit I like the stormy waves !

Been in exactly the same position Andrea, it’s really hard to catch up when you miss a week or so ! Must admit I like the stormy waves !

Thanks Chris :) Yes, it's awful when you fall behind and the themes seem to come around much faster then when you're up-to-date!

Update - I've been struggling for photography time and had to prioritise my local club end-of-year competitions for the last few weeks, plus having joined the committee last year I've been involved in a lot more preparation stuff behind the scenes too. However, the last lot of competition images went in on Sunday and I can start digging into my processing backlog now, so expect to see me catching up and commenting from now on :woot:

Week 12 - Young

12 Young by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

As promised above, the first image from my processing backlog. I'm sure lambs have already featured many times for this theme but I couldn't think of a more perfect subject for this one and I particularly liked the way the one on the left has run up to surprise his playmates.

That's a great lamb picture, just the right depth, plus the bigger lamb being airborn!

Who doesn't love a field full of lambs. Cracking images. I love the way the one on the left is frolicking

Free - Very nice seascape. Colours are really nice and you've capture how rough it is. The sea is probably my favourite thing to take photos of.
Entrance - What a nice red door. Stands out nicely against the stone walls.
Young - Very nice, Like that you've managed to capture them playing and that all their heads line up diagonally as well.

Very good Andrea!

Back