weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

Under the circumstances Marsha, you continue to deliver, so for me its doubly on theme, the photograph and your persistence good work Missus;)
Its all been said above but I paticularly like the colours in your shot also its simple yet effective. Wishing you a speedy recovery :) Iain

Playing catch up BIG Time :)

Money - Damn there is some coins there !!! Great shot, the 3 size bottles look very effective, I like the lighting you have done

Win - Great colours - I don't think it's a cop out, it's very effective, and sounds like a good bit of effort in the shot - really like the shadows !!!

As soon as I saw this theme I decided I would take a photo of the pack of shiny new crochet hooks I got for my birthday. Well a week on very strong drugs hasn't done much for my brain and this shot thwarted me!

I tried again tonight and gave up and took shots of anything else that looked remotely shiny, all still a MASSIVE failure! Then I took a closer look on the PC and I don't why I hadn't seen this one before:bonk:

I really like the bokeh on the smaller hooks and the colours of the bigger hooks in the background. I've done hardly any PP, I had to crop it square as one hook had toppled over and needed removing. All C & C welcome:

F2.8, 1/40 sec, 100mm, no flash. Lit by a desk top lamp from the right, reflector on the left.

Last edited:
Thanks for setting up the PP thread, let the fun commence! Mandy

What PP thread ? :)

'Shiny' - I love the 'V' shaped symmetry and also the colours. Choice of DoF has worked very nicely too and I like the bokeh effect. Think it's a lovely image. Nice explanation, thank you. I wouldn't have a clue what they were !

Nick (y)

You come up with some very cool ideas for your themes Marsha, these hooks being no exception. Using the same objects, albeit larger ones for the background.... very clever, pulls the whole image together.
Like Nick, I'm not sure I would have known what they were if you hadn't of explained...that's men for ya!! lol

Hi Marsha, I really like this shot and am so glad you spotted it. The arrangement leads your eye around the picture and the colours are just lovely. I look forward to seeing what you get this week!!:)

Cheers Mandy. The drugs are helping my ribs recover but I'm a hazard to the world as they make me feel drunk 24/7:nuts: Maybe not a bad thing:naughty:

Linky Nick.
I stuck all the hooks in one of those flower arranging blocks starting with big at the back on the left zigzagging down in size!

Cheers Asha, this is so NOT the image I was after! I tried getting maximum DOF using F16 but they all just looked pants! I think I just set to F2.8 and snapped away:bonk:

Thank you Mike, I am much better now. Just rib pain and exhaustion to see off and I'll be 100%

Thanks Sarah, I hope you're feeling better today?

Oooooooo now onto Magical:thinking:

Really like this one, has a slight abstract kind of feel to it for me. Love the DOF and all the different hooks make it lovely and colourful.
I do like shots that mean something personal to people to, gives the shot some meaning and story.

Definitely appeals to my inner magpie.

Hope you're on the mend, I well impressed with your pics so far, will be keepin' an eye on this thread!

Great colours and fascinating use of dof.

Lovely, colourful photograph Marsha. You've handled the lighting on this well too. Interesting composition which draws my eye through the frame, very pleasing.
I am glad too that you explained what they were, to me they look like little creatures with their faces looking towards the camera :LOL: (yes I know its a Saturday night but I haven't been drinking honest) That is what sprung to mind when I saw this :LOL:
Hope you feel better soon. Iain

Thank you Alex, Michael and Phil.

blakester said:
I am glad too that you explained what they were, to me they look like little creatures with their faces looking towards the camera :LOL: (yes I know its a Saturday night but I haven't been drinking honest) That is what sprung to mind when I saw this :LOL:

:LOL: I've been drunk for the past two weeks, but not on alcohol so I get what you mean! They do look like little aliens, I did make sure that you could see the hook in the shot otherwise they looked even more alien like!

Mind you, one thing I didn't explain was the size of the hooks. The small one at the front in focus is only 1.5mm, compared to the big salmon pink one at the back that is 6.5mm! The smallest (not in shot) is .5mm! I'm not sure what material you would crochet with that!!!!

I am on the mend at last! I have another week off sick due to rib pain and associated exhaustion. Fingers crossed I don't get ill again for a while, I've had my fill this year! Plus I was posted two weeks ago, I've yet to arrive at my new unit:bonk:

I am on the mend at last! I have another week off sick due to rib pain and associated exhaustion. Fingers crossed I don't get ill again for a while, I've had my fill this year!

Pleased to hear that your health is improving Marsha.....(y)

As soon as I saw this weeks theme I thought of children in the garden with bubbles. But obviously I was thwarted by a husband being boring and just sitting mindlessly blowing bubbles. A fiercely independent 3 year old that wanted to do it herself and spilt the bubble mixture and a 22 month old that just wanted to eat stones:bonk:

So I had a rethink!

I found my daughters magnetic fairies and some decorative clip on butterflies. With the aid of some seloptape and cotton I hung them all in the back garden and added some bubbles!

I had to clone out the cotton, not enough bubbles in the right place so some were added from other shots. I also blurred the background some more to help the fairies, butterflies and bubbles stand out!

F2.8, 1/2000 sec, ISO 100, 100mm. Bright morning sunshine.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Sounds like your husband was "lost" in his own little bubble!!! lol

Daddy didn't get "beaten up" by a toddler in the wrestle over the bubble mixture then? :D

A lot of work gone into this shot marsha....your cloning skills etc are excellent ...i could not do similar without leaving "traces" of my modifications in the image.....To me, yours looks like it has been shot like that....a very good effort I have to say (y)

The goblin said:
Cheers Iain, Robert and DK.

Matt this shot was actually for handmade! The metal bush was produced by my Uncle in Law on his lathe! But hey, it makes a good industry shot too:nuts:

Oops lol my bad, still works though!

Matt

Money.....really like the idea of this shot.

Win...nice colours and I like the shadow angle of each individual letter.

Shiny...this I really like! I could see this on a wall, great d
DOF and bokeh.

Magical...nice idea, it works well and definitely looks magical.

Well done

Matt

Cheers Asha, my PP is improving although I'm self taught via Google and YouTube so get very frustrated!

Asha said:
Sounds like your husband was "lost" in his own little bubble!!! lol
Frequently!

Asha said:
Daddy didn't get "beaten up" by a toddler in the wrestle over the bubble mixture then? :D
I was clever and had two bottles, not that it helped my shot much!

Thanks Matt.

Hi marsha, seems i haven't stopped by for a couple of weeks

Shiny - i think is a cracking photo, i love the fact that the focus is near as damn it perfect on the gold one in the front row, and then the composition leads you round.

Magical - is bang on theme and i really like the bubbles

Sounds like your husband was "lost" in his own little bubble!!! lol:

You should have burst his bubble lol :bat:

Very nice image again this week Marsha. It looks an effortless image but but looking beyond the surface I would imagine you spent a considerable amount of time on. The post processing is very good and something as yet I still have to master. Very pleasing and bang on theme too. Hope your a lot better now by the way. (y)

Nick

Back