weekly mercurius's 52 in 2014: catch up Weeks 28 - 31

What more can I add? Super cute lambs, lovely pose well spotted and right on theme. What's not to like?

Linked... AWwww carbon copies nice spring time picture:clap::clap:
Awweweee Bless... I was talking about pics of spring lambs earlier, lovely cute faces you have captured there :)
Awwww just so cute, lovely image.
Linked - nice calm relaxing feel to the shot . Good comp and colour. Pity about that bit of litter, might have attempted to clone out.
Also a very topical shot given BBC2 progs all this week about lambing in Scotland - quite fascinating for me
Nothing wrong with that at all.. Perfectly matched pose, well composed and nice light for you too.

Works a treat.
OOooo, lunch ;)
Well spotted, nice low angle and good detail in the fur. Feels a little tight for me...but I can see that a wider shot might also cause issues.
Cheers.

Linked - A nice image good detail well lit
:LOL:....... great minds n'all that
t2801.gif

well spotted mercurius, also linked to spring :)

Mint sause anyone :exit:

Lovely capture it almost looks posed (y)
HI M
Swirl....very retro 60's type fele to it....like it as an abstract & the square crop works nicely (y)
Lonked.....awww...who couldn't like that.....super focus , nice n sharp (y)

Linked - great shot and well spotted.

Linked bit tight in the frame as has been mentioned but well done for spotting them

They look cute.....and they posed beautifully for you :) well done to catch the shot.
Thanks all for looking and commenting.

Oooohhhh! I love steps with character and this one had it in buckets. Yeah, slight rotation. I'd like to see it even lower and perhaps a little brighter.

Cheers.

Interestingly I'd like to know whats through the doorway.

Good leading lines just drag my eyes to that doorway.

Linked - As said this is a cute photo. I agree with Posiview about maybe having a wider crop

Step - Rotation has been mentioned. Exposure has been handled well on this one. It looks easy to get this wrong given the amount of white (ok magnolia-ish) in the picture.

lovely worn steps there - could work with a slightly wider view depending on whats around, nice lines to draw you up to the door at the top.

Hi, very steppy indeed could do with a CCW rotation though

Hi,
Very worn much used steps, fits the theme fine, I agree with Alan about the rotation or a crop on the right hand side :)

Oooohhhh! I love steps with character and this one had it in buckets. Yeah, slight rotation. I'd like to see it even lower and perhaps a little brighter.
Cheers.

Linked - As said this is a cute photo. I agree with Posiview about maybe having a wider crop
Step - Rotation has been mentioned. Exposure has been handled well on this one. It looks easy to get this wrong given the amount of white (ok magnolia-ish) in the picture.

Interestingly I'd like to know whats through the doorway.
Good leading lines just drag my eyes to that doorway.

Step - tons of character in this image, I like it agree with the comments mentioned about a slight rotation.

lovely worn steps there - could work with a slightly wider view depending on whats around, nice lines to draw you up to the door at the top.

Thanks all your comments. Will have a go at rotating. Shooting wider might not work as there are other distractions that i have already cropped.

Week 14 - Nature

Unfortunately falling way behind with comments and posts as have just started a new job and no time. But all good!

Here's my take on 'nature' - a grab shot with the iPhone of a rather incongruous chair in the landscape.

IMG_0474_01 by carthurjohn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi agree with Andy to an extent pity the chair wasn't a different colour to stand out more, unlike Andy I have no preference for the colour

Well spotted, I'm with Lynne on the colour, blending into the bg makes you study the image (y)

Step - Agree with Allan that CCW needed. Good subject and pov. Nice to see no straight lines in the steps. Good lighting and colour

Nature - well spotted but for me the shot does not have a focal point - I ma not sure whether I should be searching out the chair or studying the nature or both or the disconnect between the chair and the natural surroundings.:thinking:

Well spotted. Pity it wasn't a nice red chair that stood out :bat:
Cheers.

Hi agree with Andy to an extent pity the chair wasn't a different colour to stand out more, unlike Andy I have no preference for the colour

Thanks for looking. I like the fact it didn't stand out.

Echoing the comments above, nice spot!
Hi,
Narure really does seem to have taken over there (y)
certainly different to what I have seen posted for nature
Well spotted I will echo every one else's comments.

Thanks all.

HI M
bloomin good shot for a camera phone ! Well spotted for the theme , I like that the chair is a natural color as well :)
Thanks Lynne. Seems sharper than the lens on my SLR!

Step - Agree with Allan that CCW needed. Good subject and pov. Nice to see no straight lines in the steps. Good lighting and colour
Nature - well spotted but for me the shot does not have a focal point - I ma not sure whether I should be searching out the chair or studying the nature or both or the disconnect between the chair and the natural surroundings.:thinking:

Yes it's the incongruity of a chair in natural surroundings that struck me when I saw it and made me want to shoot it.

I'm desperately trying to catch up to stay in the game at the moment. Sorry for no comments on any one else's work, I just don't have much time at the moment for photography so I don't expect any back.

Can't find an Action shot!

Week 16 - Mono
Mono by carthurjohn, on Flickr

Week 17 - Twisted
Twisted by carthurjohn, on Flickr

Week 18 - Fresh
Fresh by carthurjohn, on Flickr

Last edited:
I don't mine mono. Nice detail but looks slightly OOF. Or maybe it was a crop.

Twist, on theme, but lacks a bit of oomph. Not sure what. Maybe a different angle :thinking

Fresh, good detail and on theme, but a little flat and a bit busy.

Cheers.

I agree about mono, but then I saw what you used to take the photo with and I understand why it looks like that - it's confusing as it looks either OOF slightly, or noisy.
Love your twisted image, that's a lovely little stick there and has good texture, which I think you have captured.
Agree with Andy regarding Fresh, but a good idea.

Well done for keeping up with the challenge though, when life's busy, it ain't easy.

Mono - abstract and works for the theme but agree that oof or/and very noisy
twisted - captured a lot of detail and the lighting is very good with some shadow. Probably would have twisted it a bit more CW so that it a appears from left hand bottom corner.
Fresh - on theme and good colours. Would prob be better with just one sprig

Well done on keeping going.

Mono doesn't really do anything for me but I love the detail and colours of your twisted stick and those flowers make a great image for Fresh.

HI M

Mono....as per Andy really , has potential but looks like wither a heavy crop or just a bit oof ?

Shape....now that's more like it....well lit , plenty of detail & a fab black bg which compliments nicely (y) I'd maybe crop more off the rhs & extend the canvas to the lhs ...clone out a couple if stray bright bits that I've just spotted as well

Fresh....bright , looks sharp , good colors but maybe a little more focus on one flower head rather than the whole stemful ?

Hi there,
don't like your mono very much, love the twisty stick, and very pretty fresh flowers :)
Thanks.
I don't mine mono. Nice detail but looks slightly OOF. Or maybe it was a crop.

Twist, on theme, but lacks a bit of oomph. Not sure what. Maybe a different angle :thinking

Fresh, good detail and on theme, but a little flat and a bit busy.

Cheers.
Yes mono was a crop of a zoomed in iPhone pic.

I agree about mono, but then I saw what you used to take the photo with and I understand why it looks like that - it's confusing as it looks either OOF slightly, or noisy.
Love your twisted image, that's a lovely little stick there and has good texture, which I think you have captured.
Agree with Andy regarding Fresh, but a good idea.

Well done for keeping up with the challenge though, when life's busy, it ain't easy.
Mono - abstract and works for the theme but agree that oof or/and very noisy
twisted - captured a lot of detail and the lighting is very good with some shadow. Probably would have twisted it a bit more CW so that it a appears from left hand bottom corner.
Fresh - on theme and good colours. Would prob be better with just one sprig

Well done on keeping going.
Thanks Alan for your encouragement!

Mono doesn't really do anything for me but I love the detail and colours of your twisted stick and those flowers make a great image for Fresh.
Thanks. FYI the stick is a 'katsouna' (Cretan Shepherd's crook) thought you'd appreciate that as a fellow Greekophile!

Hi there ....I like the mono one ... I tend to like abstract looking shots, I can't work out what it is !
The twisty stick is lovely, super detail against the black background.
Fresh, a bright crisp image ... spot on for the theme.
Thanks Susie.
Cheers Mandy.

HI M

Mono....as per Andy really , has potential but looks like wither a heavy crop or just a bit oof ?

Shape....now that's more like it....well lit , plenty of detail & a fab black bg which compliments nicely (y) I'd maybe crop more off the rhs & extend the canvas to the lhs ...clone out a couple if stray bright bits that I've just spotted as well

Fresh....bright , looks sharp , good colors but maybe a little more focus on one flower head rather than the whole stemful ?
Thanks for the suggestions Lynne.

Hi, Action, on theme and she's having a good time :) I'd have either cropped or waited for her to bet closer as she looks quite lost I the frame.

Shall interesting shaped tree there. Pity about the LH tree being a little distracting. Slightly shallow DOF would have helped.

Well spotted with the Number 11 an interesting take on the theme. Nice low angle with good wide DOF. I don't mind the fence....would have been a hell of a cloning job :)

Cheers.

Some very good images on this catch up... for me the stand out image is 'Shape' Excellent spot, the colours are nice and vibrant and the bow in the trunk fits the frame well..

Must say the last shot for number is again a great idea and works very well in B&W

Great Catch-up :clap:

HI M

I'm loving that Tree (y)....it's such a strong shape I didn't even even notice the other tree till I read Andy's comment !

Action....nice bit of motion blur in her legs , looks sharper on flickr than here for some reason :thinking: , agree with Andy about possibly a closer crop

NUmber....different & good take on the theme , mono works well...like it (y)

Of the last few number I think is the stand out. I really like it, b&w contrast not too high it's great
I do wonder if with a bit of perspective correction you might be able to bring the centre of the path in the distance more to the centre of the frame without upsetting the position of the path in the frame that is in the foreground? And a slight crop on the right so the track meets the bottom right of the frame as per the left hand side perhaps?....being picky I know!! ;)

Last edited:
Well done for catching up. Something I'm attempting at the moment

Nature - Well spotted. I'd like to see what this looks like in a few years time when nature has probably overtaken the chair

Action - You've caught the action but unfortunately this appears to be oof and with some motion blur

Mono - Interesting patterns but I can't help think this looks like it's been blown up a tad too much

Twisted - Some nice texture in the subject (a walking stick?) Being picky I'd clean up a few bits on the background

Fresh - I'm finding this a bit jumbled but I like how you've got flowers in all states from closed to fully open

Shape - You've caught some nice lighting on the tree and background

Number - I like you thinking. Very well spotted.

Back