weekly Michael23's 2012 52 COMPLETED! WooHoo! Slide show added

As I've said elsewhere...anything with Scarborough in is a winner for me...(y)

#3 is well composed and really rich colours and deep blacks.

Direction of the chimneys, mast and direction of the wind and direction of the sunset...nice.

Just a bit pale at top on my laptop.

Was is handheld?

Cheers.

Hiya Andy, yep, hand held, on top of a bench on a very windy evening!!! The wind had been that strong it had virtually blown us off our feet, but it was worth it :LOL: I had cropped some pale stuff out at the top, but didn't want to go any further as I would have ended up chopping off the pole, which I didnt want to do.

Lighting the way, I prefer the colour version. Candles are always a winner(y)

Certainly the 2nd candle shot, a sure fire winner. Gives me that warm homely glow when I look at it (y)

Love the Scarborough shots too. Really nice work. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your 52 this year

HI Michael good start for first week to I like the 2nd one better (y)
Carl

The second candles one gets my vote Michael, the warm colour tones and reflection make for a very pleasing photograph. The Scarborough sunset is a winner too, fantastic colour in the sky and interesting silhouettes. All round good work but it is only week 1 and if you're not careful your 52 will turn into a 104 at your work rate :LOL: Iain

HI Michael good start for first week to I like the 2nd one better (y)
Carl

Thanks for popping by Carl, much appreciated. Pleased you like the pic (y)

The second candles one gets my vote Michael, the warm colour tones and reflection make for a very pleasing photograph. The Scarborough sunset is a winner too, fantastic colour in the sky and interesting silhouettes. All round good work but it is only week 1 and if you're not careful your 52 will turn into a 104 at your work rate :LOL: Iain

Hi Ian, thanks for popping by, Very pleased you have liked my pics, indeed it could turn into something like that, having completed last years, I feel like it just a continuation and its a 1:thinking::thinking: project :LOL: I want to know the next theme :bonk::LOL:

Wow some great shots there - i really like the 2nd candle shot - what sort of table were you shooting on to make sure you got the reflection? Also how did you ensure everything else around it stayed black?
ps beautiful colours in the sunset shot!

Matt

Wow some great shots there - i really like the 2nd candle shot - what sort of table were you shooting on to make sure you got the reflection? Also how did you ensure everything else around it stayed black?
ps beautiful colours in the sunset shot!

Matt

Hiya Matt, to get the reflection I used an Ikea traywhich was upturned. There was a bit of colour bleeding in to the darker areas, I used the "deepen" function in photoscape editing software which darkened the those areas, it also added a bit extra too the candle light as well. Pleased you like the pics. (y)

Hi IMO the second candle picture is much stronger, the colouring is better for candle light and the composition is much more striking :) Nicely done (y)

The Sunset is very striking :)

Last edited:
Great shots there i think the second candle shot is my favourite, the reflections are cool and the colour gives it more impact imo. Really like the sunset shot too though, the sense of direction in the wind blown flags is a good idea. Its not in your face you have to go searching for it. (y)

Hi IMO the second candle picture is much stronger, the colouring is better for candle light and the composition is much more striking :) Nicely done (y)

The Sunset is very striking :)

Hi Ruth, thank you for your comments. (y)

Great shots there i think the second candle shot is my favourite, the reflections are cool and the colour gives it more impact imo. Really like the sunset shot too though, the sense of direction in the wind blown flags is a good idea. Its not in your face you have to go searching for it. (y)

HI Phil, Thanks for popping by, pleased you like the pics and the comments.(y)

This is an interesting interpretation of the theme and I don't think I would have ever thought of this idea. I think a greater depth would have helped this shot as I can see the top candles are a bit out of focus.

Hi Jin, thanks for comment. I may well do this again as a reshoot in the future. Will have a play with different apertures as well next time. (y)

Really like this Michael. Will be watching with interest.

Hiya Ben, thanks very much for your reply, very much appreciated (y)

#2 for me, like the idea of the candles and the warm colours :)

Good work

Thanks Roly (y)

Week 2 tomorrow :woot:

Last edited:
Well done Michael, I prefer the colour candle picture as the warmth really shows through.

Though the sunset picture is great as well and the use of flags showing wind direction is very clever as well!

Two great images on the direction theme, the mono works great, reflections great on the colour version.

super start

Really good idea with the candles :)

I actually prefer the mono :D

Good luck with the project!

Nice start Micheal, lots of images to choose from :D It's the second candle shot for me though, nice and crisp directional image with a lovely glow of warmth from the candles.

Two to start - that's very generous of you Michael! Does this mean a 104 is on the cards? ;)

That's a very neat interpretation of the theme! At first I preferred the colour version - as others have said, the reflections look great. But I kept returning to #1, because it has something appealing about it, but at the same time doesn't quite drive the idea of Direction so well. My eye is drawn to the second candle in the tail of the arrow, and I think the 'lead' candle needs to be brighter, with perhaps a smidgeon more space on the right. I realise this might have practical constraints in your kitchen, and it doesn't detract from two excellent shots. :)

Jean

Hiya Jean, thanks very much for popping by and commenting. This may well be a candidate for when a reshoot card gets pulled out of the bag.

Now, week 2 and fear! Decided to play around tonight to see what I could come up with. My daughter was trying to make faces for me, and the pose below is the best one I captured, and processed a few ways and got to this result, which I think is quite good for fear

Week 2, Fear by scilly puffin, on Flickr

I also had some help from this fellow as well, he was very eager to appear for this weeks theme :D

Week 2, Fear2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

(y)

Another great effort this week Michael :)

Like them both, especially the lighting on #2 and the way the eye stands out :)

I like the shots although I think no.2 is more on theme than the first shot. I don't really get the look of fear from her, she's looks as though she's just smelt something nasty. :shrug:

No2 is definitely more sinister with the highlighted red around the eyes (y)

Another great effort this week Michael :)

Like them both, especially the lighting on #2 and the way the eye stands out :)

Cheers Roly, I was very pleased with how number 2 turned out, I took around 40 pics of that setup and ended up with this after some editing.

I like the shots although I think no.2 is more on theme than the first shot. I don't really get the look of fear from her, she's looks as though she's just smelt something nasty. :shrug:

No2 is definitely more sinister with the highlighted red around the eyes (y)

Hi Phil, thanks for popping by. I totally understand your thoughts on number 1, it's a very tricky emotion to portray unless there something to fear, as we all know. I was very pleased with the pic, as to start of with I would have binned it! It's themes like this I enjoy as it makes me play more and more with editing and using stuff I wouldn't generally use. I was kind of surprised how sinister the crocodile looked, it was out of a puppet show my daughter got for christmas.

Hi Michael, your daughter has done well to look scared its not any easy thing to do when you feel so safe!!

I like no2 the processing works well with this one and it has a very evil eye!!

Haha I like! Nicely done. #2 is good, like that little fellow!

Thanks Alex, pleased you like it!

Hi Michael, your daughter has done well to look scared its not any easy thing to do when you feel so safe!!

I like no2 the processing works well with this one and it has a very evil eye!!

Thanks very much for your thoughts Sarah. This was a 13 second exposure in complete darkness, my 50mm f1.8 lens @ f8 and a flashgun diffused with my hand was fired during the exposure, above and to the left of the croc! A bit of editing with contrast and brightness were adjusted and then selective colouring to bring the eye out.

Well.. i thought i would pop on and comment on your wk2 pic now it's up, but for some odd reason cant see my wk 1 comment :thinking:

sooooo

Wk1 - Much prefer the second, great colour and i really like the reflections in the surface

Wk2 - Nice processing in the first shot, but prefer the 2nd... the eye certainly has it !!!

Really look forward to following your 52 (y)

Back