weekly Michael23's 2012 52 COMPLETED! WooHoo! Slide show added

Love the first image; bang on theme!

Spreadsheet Michael, spreadsheet :rules::bat: ;)

Hi Michael.
You have had lots of comment on #1 and #2 so I will stick to #3.

I find the first option, the swirl, to be the best. Well thought out and the crop helps a pot. A clever take on the subject and the single word 'sighed' is so sharp and on topic. Alaso it gives me the impression of movement which i think chimes with 'sigh' as to me there is a phsical movement of the mouth, nose and the expelled air when someone sighs. The more i look at it the more I like it.

The book option is good. A good shot and i like the lighting. Also I think that the 'used' nature of the book is good for the shot and the sepia, old look.

And I finally got my signature to work!!

THanks very much Alan for your comments. Much appreciated. I was very pleased with how the swirl worked out, it was quite tricky finding a crop/rotation that would get the word sighed into a decent view on the swirl. I lost count on how many attempts I made! Great to see your signature working, glad to be of help (y)

Love the first image; bang on theme!

Spreadsheet Michael, spreadsheet :rules::bat: ;)

Spreadsheet, What Spreadsheet? :naughty:.....updated and thanks for the prod :LOL:(y)

Hi Michael

Love both Fear pics, the processing in the 1st one is excellent, but my personal preference just goes to the 2nd shot.

Wonderful take on sigh too. Really excellent work :)

Hi Michael,

You're doing great with this challenge, interesting takes on the themes.

Direction, love the candles shot, very nicely composed and shot. The colour one has the edge for me too. You've inspired me to give something like this a go at some point in my 52.

Fear , got to be the croc for me, love the shade of black...if that makes sense?

Sigh, the word swirls are brilliant, how did you do that?

Looking forward to seeing what you think of next!

Carol

Hi Michael

Love both Fear pics, the processing in the 1st one is excellent, but my personal preference just goes to the 2nd shot.

Wonderful take on sigh too. Really excellent work :)

Hi Simon, thanks for popping by and for your comments. Pleased you like the pics (y)

Hi Michael,

You're doing great with this challenge, interesting takes on the themes.

Direction, love the candles shot, very nicely composed and shot. The colour one has the edge for me too. You've inspired me to give something like this a go at some point in my 52.

Fear , got to be the croc for me, love the shade of black...if that makes sense?

Sigh, the word swirls are brilliant, how did you do that?

Looking forward to seeing what you think of next!

Carol

Hi Carol, thanks for your comments. I am pleased that I have inspired you (y)(y) The shade of black, that does make sense. It's amazing what uses a black bin bag has!
The swirl was basically a distortion filter applied in pp. The software I used for this edit is photoscape, a totally free download and a great piece of software too. There is a slider for maximising the effect. I quite like the effect it gives, it can give some very cool effects with the right pics.
(y)

I love the swirly 'sighed' shot - I know what you mean about something jumping out at you. I just wish it happened more often!

I can't choose between the gap-on-right version and the one without. They both work really, really well. (y)

The books - yes, definitely would make you sigh (and probably cry). Nobody's Child is the more powerful for me because I know what it's about, the both the idea and interpretation work well. :clap:

Jean

A bit of a late submission this week, due to illness and being completely exhausted. I have tried different subjects and nothing has worked at all, I just couldn't get things done. So decided to have a break to try and reset myself.

Went in to blockbuster today and I saw this stand of stand of sweets. So whilst my wife was filling in a new membership form, I decided to play around with my phone and took a few pics. Edited this in my phone too with the picsay app.

Reduced saturation and I then chose to colour the pic in this manner, I quite liked it, so decided to stick with it for this weeks theme. Hopefully I will be back on form for next week

Week 4, Sweet by scilly puffin, on Flickr

there is the original on my flickr too.

I have decided to add this one as well, I am kind of undecided on this one if it worked ok,

Week 4, Sweet by scilly puffin, on Flickr

I may well do a reshoot for this theme in the future, I should have done better with this one.

Hey Michael :)

Don't you just hate it when you feel like that !!!

Oranges... lovely colour but I think too tightly bunched to the left and too tight a crop, I like the lighting too

Sweets... very unusual mate, I like the processing, I haven't tried any mobile stuff yet, i'll have to give the editing stuff a go one day - Certainly my fav of the 2

Here's to you feeling better and an inspirational wk5 word for us (y)

Hey Michael :)

Don't you just hate it when you feel like that !!!

Oranges... lovely colour but I think too tightly bunched to the left and too tight a crop, I like the lighting too

Sweets... very unusual mate, I like the processing, I haven't tried any mobile stuff yet, i'll have to give the editing stuff a go one day - Certainly my fav of the 2

Here's to you feeling better and an inspirational wk5 word for us (y)

Hi, I've been ill too it really is a drain on the imagination!

I like your first image of the sweets but not convinced on the blue tone.

I like the contrast of the oranges against the blue, they really stand out.

Oh and I hope you feel better soon.

cheers both, much appreciated. (y)

Well done for getting 2 good shots in a week when you have felt ill!! I think I prefer the orange one - it makes my mouth water!! If I'm being picky it would be nice to see a little more space on the left!

Oranges for me as well, I love the bold, complimentary colours.
Nicely done! :)

Agree with others about the oranges on blue background, good call. Shame about mark bottom left, and noise but easy to rectify with PP

I prefer the first one but its a bit tall for me. Crop off the top two bags leaving the four bottom ones and it might work better. A sharp DSLR shot rather than a slightly blurry phone one and it would be great! (y)

I get the oranges one with the colours but its not shouting sweet to me.

Well done for getting 2 good shots in a week when you have felt ill!! I think I prefer the orange one - it makes my mouth water!! If I'm being picky it would be nice to see a little more space on the left!

I prefer the orange photo. A bit stock photography to me but what i cant figure out is the noise in the image is that because of PP?

It's the oranges for me too. The colours are great, the blue background works really well. I agree with DK and Sarah about the left hand side. Keep up the good work.

Oranges for me as well, I love the bold, complimentary colours.
Nicely done! :)

I prefer the first one but its a bit tall for me. Crop off the top two bags leaving the four bottom ones and it might work better. A sharp DSLR shot rather than a slightly blurry phone one and it would be great! (y)

I get the oranges one with the colours but its not shouting sweet to me.

Hi everybody, thanks very much for the replies. I am glad I posted the oranges now, as it appears to have gone down well. The lack of space is due to me having to straighten the image, losing that bit of space on the left hand side. I didn't notice until the pp stage that I had messed it up!
The noise issue, this was due to the image being underexposed quite heavily, which enhances the noise from the sensor of my 30d. The image was taken over 27 seconds, and the oranges were light painted. The torch was a £2 wind up job from asda, the blue lighting actually came from the leds, the base was the same opaque tray used in one of my candle shots. The picture was processed in photoscape as I don't have elements on this laptop. Will be glad when I get mine back next week from the repairers!

The chocolates shot, would have been great to have done that with the slr, the crop is a very good idea and does help I think, see below for cropped image.

Week 4, Sweet crop by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Thanks again for comments, especially on these latest photos, glad that they have gone down well.(y)

Looking forward to week 5 (y)

Hi, Michael, hope you're feeling better (y)

Sweet #1 for me. I like the B&W low key effect.

Sweet #2...hhmmm, not got me really. Mainly because the oranges seem to be floating.

Cheers and good luck for the next theme :D

Hi, Michael, hope you're feeling better (y)

Sweet #1 for me. I like the B&W low key effect.

Sweet #2...hhmmm, not got me really. Mainly because the oranges seem to be floating.

Cheers and good luck for the next theme :D

Cheers Andy, I'm getting there, slowly but surely. I think this theme will be a the candidate when the reshoot card pops out. (y)

'Sigh' really good take on the theme. There are some really good images appearing this week.

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks very much for popping by and for your comments. I was very pleased with sigh turning out the way it did (y)

So you could just reshoot any week you wanted?

Hi Marsha, yep that right when a reshoot card is pulled out, redo which ever you wish.

Hi Michael. Of the 2 the oranges one wins it. The blue background goes well with the colour of the fruit, like the lighting on it too (y)

Hi Simon, The oranges have gone down very well, which I am very pleased with. hanks very much for popping by and for the comments.

For someone who was feeling grotty you've done remarkably well! :)

I love the idea and pp on the first one - and definitely prefer the cropped version. As you said - your camera would have been better than your phone, but you've done a good creative job with it. (y)

#2 I agree with the comments about too tight a crop on the left - but we've all been there - you get so far through pp and then 'see' something wrong. :bang: I love the bright punchy colours and the very slight reflection in the blue. The multi-directional light makes the oranges look a bit too polished, but it doesn't detract from a bright punchy shot.

Hope you're feeling better. ;)

Jean

I really like the processing on Sweet - the chocolate one, but I also really like the contrast of the orange on blue :) Other than that I can't really add to the comments made by the others keep it up :)

Hi Michael
sweet shot #1 is best for me - I like the restricted colour palette and the variety in the scripts.

Hi Alan, thanks very much for popping by and commenting, pleased you like the pics. Very pleased with how the colour toning worked with this. (y)

For someone who was feeling grotty you've done remarkably well! :)

I love the idea and pp on the first one - and definitely prefer the cropped version. As you said - your camera would have been better than your phone, but you've done a good creative job with it. (y)

#2 I agree with the comments about too tight a crop on the left - but we've all been there - you get so far through pp and then 'see' something wrong. :bang: I love the bright punchy colours and the very slight reflection in the blue. The multi-directional light makes the oranges look a bit too polished, but it doesn't detract from a bright punchy shot.

Hope you're feeling better. ;)

Jean

Hiya Jean, thanks very much for the comments (y) They are very much appreciated. The oranges, tripod being moved up, down, left and right! I am very pleased with how the colours have complemented each other too. As for feeling better, I am getting there, I think :LOL:

I really like the processing on Sweet - the chocolate one, but I also really like the contrast of the orange on blue :) Other than that I can't really add to the comments made by the others keep it up :)

Thank you Ruth for popping by and commenting and liking the pics (y)

Hi Michael, out of the two images for sweet the orange one stands out for me. The contrast between the oranges and the background is great and so is the lighting. Keep it up :)

Back