weekly Michael23's 2012 52 COMPLETED! WooHoo! Slide show added

Hey Michael.

Really like both shots but I'd say it's got to be No.2 for me. The eye's really well done!

Hiya Carys, many thanks for popping by, pleased you like the pics. (y)

Well.. i thought i would pop on and comment on your wk2 pic now it's up, but for some odd reason cant see my wk 1 comment :thinking:

sooooo

Wk1 - Much prefer the second, great colour and i really like the reflections in the surface

Wk2 - Nice processing in the first shot, but prefer the 2nd... the eye certainly has it !!!

Really look forward to following your 52 (y)

Thanks for popping by Dk. QUite happy with this weeks, as I initially thought what on earth :LOL:

Hi ya...finally found you...working my way through the spreadsheet...crikey there's some threads to get round :eek:

Fear.....2# is excellent Michael , right on theme....love the red...great image :clap:

roll on wk 3:LOL:

#2 for me. I'm afraid the first one didn't catch the feeling of fear imo.

Hiya Peter, thanks for the comment. I am going with number 2 myself now,

Hi ya...finally found you...working my way through the spreadsheet...crikey there's some threads to get round :eek:

Fear.....2# is excellent Michael , right on theme....love the red...great image :clap:

roll on wk 3:LOL:

HI Lynne :wave: Yep there are a lot! Thanks for finding me! Pleased you like croc! I am looking forward to week 3!

Fear. - number 2 for me, love how you have managed to light the eye
Pic of your daughter show on my screen with lots of black little dots.

Hiya Darren, the black dots were deliberate, it was part of the processing I did, which was to apply a newspaper filter to the image.

I am very pleased with the lighting on number 2, took me a few goes but got it right in the end (y)

Great work Michael, love the second one with the red eye. Looks very sinister and certainly has fear to it!

Hi Michael. It's a lovely shot of your daughter, but for fear I prefer no 2. I like the red light on the eye, and the fact that it's scary and fun at the same time!

I prefer the second fear shot. Sounds like you had fun setting that one up. That what I am enjoying so far about the 52, the opportunity and drive to try new techniques.

As you say fear is a difficult emotion to capture and usually only last in the expression for a fraction of a second.

Good work

Like both shots and processing on the fear theme, but think I'm gonna have to sway towards shot 2.

Its the eye that does it for me, just makes the whole picture stand out a bit more.

Two great shots never the less though.

Another cracking week. Like no1 with your daughter, however no2 is on the money for the fear theme. The lighting and the glow from the eye area gives it an eerie fear feel.

Hi, Michael, I think my daughter knows I've started another project because she vanished when I get my camera out :shake:

Now, your daughter...hate to be harsh, but is she frightended or yawning...;)

Fear #2, like it, especially the bold placement of the eyes. Creepy.

Cheers.

Hi Michael. It's a lovely shot of your daughter, but for fear I prefer no 2. I like the red light on the eye, and the fact that it's scary and fun at the same time!

QUOTE=danhardwick;4323390]I prefer the second fear shot. Sounds like you had fun setting that one up. That what I am enjoying so far about the 52, the opportunity and drive to try new techniques.

As you say fear is a difficult emotion to capture and usually only last in the expression for a fraction of a second.

Good work[/QUOTE]

Like both shots and processing on the fear theme, but think I'm gonna have to sway towards shot 2.

Its the eye that does it for me, just makes the whole picture stand out a bit more.

Two great shots never the less though.

Same as Peter. #2 is good for me.

Subscribed and will keep an eye out on your shots.

Keeping up with the 366ers and the 52ers - a challenge in itself!

Another cracking week. Like no1 with your daughter, however no2 is on the money for the fear theme. The lighting and the glow from the eye area gives it an eerie fear feel.

Hi, Michael, I think my daughter knows I've started another project because she vanished when I get my camera out :shake:

Now, your daughter...hate to be harsh, but is she frightended or yawning...;)

Fear #2, like it, especially the bold placement of the eyes. Creepy.

Cheers.

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the replies, as always it is very much appreciated. Both pics will stay with this theme, but I am going for the croc as my main one as well. Andy, not harsh at all, Caitlin wouldn't go to bed until she had helped me with the pics!
Bring on Week 3! (y)

Hi Michael...

Direction : Both of the candles are good takes on the theme... I think I prefer the mono one... The sunset, as lovely as it is, doesn't really say direction to me in the same way.

Fear : The shot of your daughter is great, and it looks fearful... but her eyes make her look like she's enjoying it... rather than being afraid... so... I think I'm going to go with that fear inducing eye in the second one. It might have been worth using some tissue or something to diffuse the light (it looks like a light) other than that ...

Great!
Fear 1 has a familiar look. My wife looks exactly like that when she's watching a "Scarey" film :)
Fear 2 really has you wondering what's in the dark and what its motives are.

Hi Michael, and first of all let me say thanks for dropping by my thread :)

Direction - it's the second shot for me. The b&w one needs a little more tinkering to get the proportions right I think - possibly on a bigger canvas? Whereas I like the warmth and the composition better on the colour one (y)

For Fear - it's very difficult to get the right facial expression for fear, especially with a young model so kudos for trying but it doesn't quite hit the spot for me, sorry :shrug:. the second shot however induces fear in the beholdder and is a much more powerful image and I love the processing :clap::clap:

great start - and you put me to shame as it takes me all my time to come up with one image per theme ;)

Two quite different takes on the Fear theme, Michael - and they're too different to choose between, imho.

#1 - Caitlin is a brilliant model, and what I think she's captured is that look children have just before the roller coaster goes over the top of the steepest incline! A sort of fearful anticipation which you know is going to dissolve into a big grin and giggles! I love it! :D

#2 - Yes, scary enough to generate fear in the eyes of the beholder. Full marks for creativity on this one. The red eye is a good touch. I like the processing - very in keeping with the theme.

An excellent week. :clap:

Jean

Two quite different takes on the Fear theme, Michael - and they're too different to choose between, imho.

#1 - Caitlin is a brilliant model, and what I think she's captured is that look children have just before the roller coaster goes over the top of the steepest incline! A sort of fearful anticipation which you know is going to dissolve into a big grin and giggles! I love it! :D

#2 - Yes, scary enough to generate fear in the eyes of the beholder. Full marks for creativity on this one. The red eye is a good touch. I like the processing - very in keeping with the theme.

An excellent week. :clap:

Jean

Hiya Jean, thanks very much for those great comments. Pleased you like the pics. Get Caitlin at the right time and she can certainly pull off some really good "looks". Very pleased with the fear theme and how it turned out.

Like both fear pics but do think the first one of the child with all those dots is just a little too much, the second ones great with the depth of field and lighting really sets off the mood.

Hiya Paul and thanks for your thoughts, very muc appreciated.

Hi Michael,

I'm a little late getting round this week, so most has been said already. Number 2 is definitely the winner in so much as meeting the theme goes but I do like no.1 as an image in its own right (it just says surprise more than fear to me)
Mr Crocodile has it all though. Definitely creepy, really well lit and the diagonal composition almost gives a sense of him moving across the frame.
Well done !!!

I agree with the majority Michael,

The Croc is the one I'd choose.
For reasons why, I think they've all been covered above about the lighting and crop work great.

Chris

Hi,

Love the mono candles, never thought about using candles until now so thanks for that, also i prefer the 1st image in your fear theme, great work.

Matt

Onto week 3! Oh my what a tough one it is!

My takes on Sigh

This one jumped out to me last night, whilst reeading my daughter her bedtime story, the word sighed popped up in it, I immediately thought, that will do for my wek 3 pic!

Week 3, Sigh #1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

These books were sitting on the book case and I thought the titles were quite appropiate, so a little out of the box thinking on this one. I had found the perfect book, but a long postage time would have meant me being well into next week in posting the pic, and I don't want to end up being behind. So thought I would do this version instead.

Week 3, Sigh #2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Hi, Michael, 2 crackers.

#1, like the processing and well outside the box. Just the RH dead space draws my attention.

#2, my wide has read The Lost Boy and I've flipped through it. Very appropriate and well thought out. I actually thinks I'd prefer just the one book.

Cheers and well done. I have a few but they're not up to scratch...gggrrrr....

:D

Hi Andy, thanks for your thoughts, I shall add alternative versions below.
Hi Alex, I certainly needed a good think with this theme, it's surprising how things just jump out at you and it fits the theme.

Right, number 1 minus the dead space, I spent quite a while doing various rotations and filters and stuff, I actually missed the dead space :bonk:

Sigh, crop by scilly puffin, on Flickr

And, The single book

sigh, single book by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Very imaginative rake in the theme for the first shot. The edit without the dead space works well. I havn't read the books but I know people who have and I think the subject is very apt. Well done. (y)

Nice one.

I though that the upper left of the book (as on screen) should be flat, but then though, no, it works better as it is...it shows it's been read. (y)

Cheers.

Nice take on the theme.. I like the first one even if it makes my eyes go funny :D

Like the cropped first one, it draws you to the word nicely and looks good technically.

The book doesn't work for me as I've not read it but could it be worth rotating it so the "The Lost Boy" on the spine gradually goes oof?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Very imaginative rake in the theme for the first shot. The edit without the dead space works well. I havn't read the books but I know people who have and I think the subject is very apt. Well done. (y)

Nice one.

I though that the upper left of the book (as on screen) should be flat, but then though, no, it works better as it is...it shows it's been read. (y)

Cheers.

Nice take on the theme.. I like the first one even if it makes my eyes go funny :D

Like the cropped first one, it draws you to the word nicely and looks good technically.

The book doesn't work for me as I've not read it but could it be worth rotating it so the "The Lost Boy" on the spine gradually goes oof?

Hi Michael.
You have had lots of comment on #1 and #2 so I will stick to #3.

I find the first option, the swirl, to be the best. Well thought out and the crop helps a pot. A clever take on the subject and the single word 'sighed' is so sharp and on topic. Alaso it gives me the impression of movement which i think chimes with 'sigh' as to me there is a phsical movement of the mouth, nose and the expelled air when someone sighs. The more i look at it the more I like it.

The book option is good. A good shot and i like the lighting. Also I think that the 'used' nature of the book is good for the shot and the sepia, old look.

Back