weekly Minx 52 for 2016 -Finished

Catkins for the colour but both are a little lost though to be honest

Catkins for me too. I like the abstract feel.

Thanks every one for your comments on my pictures so so far. I hope to take it all on board.

Living World - I like the first one. The leaves form a heart shape, which is lovely! :) Would be nice if they were a bit brighter so would stand out more against the branches in the background.

Topical - Clever use of props to depict a news story! :)

Very clever pictorial puzzle for Topical and nicely taken too. :clap:

Alison, Hi. Prefer the catkins myself too, overall a better balanced image. Topical good use of props for the theme. Nice composition too.

Topical, very good Minxy (y)

Errrrrm :thinking:

Well, sorry not liking the composition, too much like objects thrown on a floor for me, clever
thought/combination though and good for the theme :)

<EDIT> OOo Spiky is there now too, you done well to get in close, looks like he is keeping an eye on you :D

Last edited:
That's very clever take on Spiky - not the first thing one thinks of but spot on. Wish I could think of something equally clever for the theme Ho Hum. :clap:

Well done with spiky, the head down pose gives a better view of the antlers I think.

Topical - I'm assuming Flying Scotsman, understand the Yorkie bar but the four kings are lost on me. Still I think it is a clever idea and fits the brief.
Spiky shot is great, very imaginative and different.

Last edited:
Hi Minx, topical is definitely on theme but struggling a touch with the cards as others have said. Good thinking though. If you can get a solid surface to shoot on it might help "professionalise" your shots - if that's what you wanted to do? Also don't think you have to use artificial light for these sorts of shots - window light on an overcast day is wonderful for setup shots (as long as you can arrange stuff around the window, as it's usually harder to move the window itself!)

Spiky is a good capture - I'm terrible with animals. I'm guessing it looked up at some point and would be great to get a shot with it looking at you as well. You're lucky to have those close by!

Looking forward to more of yours.

Spiky, interesting take on the theme Minx.
I would have preferred the negative space on the other side TBH, he looks as though he may "flight" and that's the way he'll most likely go, or turn to.
Besides that it would have also put his eye on a third, not a quarter.

Nice image none the less (y)

Topical - I'm assuming Flying Scotsman, understand the Yorkie bar but the four kings are lost on me. Still I think it is a clever idea and fits the brief.

Hi Minx, topical is definitely on theme but struggling a touch with the cards as others have said.)

Sorry to have been too cryptic especially for any one not in Uk. The Cards are all kings and form a cross. the Flying Scotsman left Kings cross to go to York.

Spiky, interesting take on the theme Minx.
I would have preferred the negative space on the other side TBH, he looks as though he may "flight" and that's the way he'll most likely go, or turn to.
Besides that it would have also put his eye on a third, not a quarter.

Nice image none the less (y)

Well turns out I wasn't as close as it seems that was a crop so maybe this is better ;)

spiky 2
by Alison White, on Flickr

Spiky is a good capture - I'm terrible with animals. I'm guessing it looked up at some point and would be great to get a shot with it looking at you as well. You're lucky to have those close by!

Sadly though he did look up I could not get a good shot of this fella looking up shortly after this was taken he turned and walked off . I did get some other dear one of which looked and at me but he had half an antler missing. I gave up as it was just beginning to rain and I had a lot of park to cover to get back to my car.

Last edited:
Well turns out I wasn't as close as it seems that was a crop so maybe this is better ;)

Certainly an improvement IMO (y)

The Cards are all kings and form a cross. the Flying Scotsman left Kings cross to go to York.
I knew that :woot:

Topical - love the idea, but as others have suggested, the implementation maybe needed a little more thought!
Spiky - I like version 1 actually, I think the turn of the head into the shot actually works better! (y)
Keep it up! :D

Spiky version one is my favourite he just looks better placed (to me) in the first shot. He certainly fits the them. :)

Nice spiky! I really like the composition and the original with the negative space on the left works better for me. :)

#1 for me ... forget the eye, it's all about which way the neck is bent.

OK that's my new rule but remember rules are made for breaking.

Back