Minx 52 for 2019

Hi Alison, 'Waiting' is well seen, with everyone's noses stuck to their phones. I think the central area could maybe do with a tweak to lift the shadows; the light was obviously strong as the post has cast a great shadow over the pavement.
Rough - either image works but I prefer the second one as it's from a completely different angle than the other images of bark we have seen this week. Like Gareth, I wonder how it would look if the focus point was nearer to the camera but it works well.

Good shot for waiting. As said, it shows that everyone seems to stare at their little screens all the time. The shadows could do with a lift but with the light being so strong you done well to get them without being silhouettes.

Two good shots for Rough. I like them both but I think I prefer the second one because of the point of view.

Waiting - Bang on for the theme. The shadows are a bit on the dark side though.
A nice bit of street, isn't it funny how nobody noticed you taking the shot.

Rough - I think I prefer #2 for this theme. The unusual perspective and colour make it more interesting in my view.

I like the waiting. There's always a good opportunity at bus stops and you've captured them well I think.

I also like the rough image, but would have liked to have seen it cropped on the right to loose the thorn stems. Love a tree bark image though

Nicely done

Hi Alison, Having a big catch up today!

Distant - Thats really impressive for 14 miles away! Looks like it wasn't a great day either, B&W works well and some interesting foreground to
Cold - I like both of these. The like the tentacles of ice creeping up the window with just a hint of buildings and tree through it and the ice crystals against the green leaves are great
Waiting - Perfect for the theme and brave to take pictures of people! Maybe just lift the shadows a little as the people are a bit dark
Rough - Lovely textures in the bark of the first shot. I like the perspective on the second shot but I think you needed to focus maybe halfway along the tree rather than at the greenery at the end, to emphasise the roughness

:D

Object

Object
by Alison White, on Flickr

A Bauble I blew myself at a glass blowing experience day I was tempted to crop but have opted to go with soc technique

Last edited:
I think that's a really good image, I love that you've still got detail in the clouds. I also really like the colours you've managed to capture. For me, i'd keep it as it is, as the urban skyline gives it some context (I know that's been taken in your garden - unless you're talking about the diagonal line at the top right, in which case i'd agree that a crop would work).

Free choice
I took this on my phone on my way to school one morning, the path was quite muddy so will stick to the streets for a while till its dried out a bit. another one for Soc.
free choice by Alison White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love the shards of light in this image, really nicely done.

Three great shots on the way to catching up. The last one is a winner. I wouldn't mind that as my morning walk to work/school!!

Three great images Allison!
Object: Some great colours in the bauble, and impressive that you blew it yourself....nice work for SOOC too!
Wet: Yep....works for me, nice reflections and fits the theme nicely.
Free: Wow! Fantastic light....those beams are tremendous, a great image indeed, very impressive for a mobile shot, and SOOC too!
Fab!(y)

Free, love the light rays, not always easy to capture them properly.

Thanks everyone for you comments all are much appreciated

Object - that's a pretty cool bauble there. Very nicely done sooc and very nicely blown too ;)

Wet - yup, one's definitely wetter than the rest. Works well. He looks like a bit of a Billy-No-Mates

Free - that's a cool image. Love the light rays coming through. Nice capture

Young - nice little gosling. Very pretty. Would never have known what it was without your description in image title

Hi Alison

I'm still catching up on comments.

Waiting, the good old busstop, captured the waiting people well. Noticed the busstop is not vertical but all the lampposts are.

Rough, nice shadows in the details, bark is not as good as you have focused on the greenery at the end.

Object, that looks round and is very colourful and fits the SOOC as is.

Wet, nice image, love the reflections.

Free Choice, This is nice, love the suns rays, very peaceful.

Entrance, It is very grand, exposure is well controlled.

Young ducks, what is not to like, lots of details. 2 and a half ducks is half a duck too many. the 2nd picture is better for SOOC

Pete

The light on the river for free choice is very good for a phone pic

entrance looks like an interesting Art Deco building needs a lift exposure wise

The first picture for young looks like its got two heads and three legs but the second pic is really good, the pigeons in the BG and the blue graffiti just add to the image gives it a sense of environment :clap:

Nice use of technique and nicely framed. the rear ducking can either be a bit distracting or a bit clever depending on how you look at it. I love the three legs, it made me chuckle. It reminded me of one i posted on here last year of a lamb with two heads.

Heya Ali,

Object - Lovely. It works well against the sky and the background of the rooftops gives it a slightly alien feel :)
Wet - Love the reflections, the duck looking up and the one about to jump in. maybe a little bright, but emphasises it was a sunny day.
Free - Fantastic image. Love the god rays, it has an ethereal feel to it.
Entrance - Lovely bit of Art Deco. Can't beat architecture from between the wars.
Young - Love the detail in your first gosling shot, the second is fun too especially the middle gosling dipping it's foot towards the water.

ENTRANCE - great symmetry, but perhaps a bit askew? Good take on the theme.
YOUNG - very good family shot, nicely framed and the bg is interesting but not distracting at all.

Smooth
Yup, that does the job. I had thought about doing that myself, but then wasn't sure if there was a radio station called smooth or if I'd just heard the name on a Comedy sketch.

Above
A nice little composition.

Very nicely done for smooth :) Bang on theme

Above bang on too. Love the plane

Both fine shots Alison.
SMOOTH - the dashboard has smooth parts as well as the Smooth on the radio. I guess it's a radio station (I am out of touch with the UK and have been for yonks!!)
ABOVE - good idea for the theme. A weatherplane rather than a weathercock? Any reason for this?

ABOVE - good idea for the theme. A weatherplane rather than a weathercock? Any reason for this?

There are a lot of different weather vanes round her that don't have the traditional cock, so there may be no particular reason but we are quite close to the airport and there is a lot of avation history to the area and industry for the airport but I don't know

Very creative images Alison!(y)
Smooth: Very inventive! A good fit for the theme....it's a Peugeot 206 isn't it?...I'd know that dash anywhere!
Above: Very well composed image. I do like the colours and textures in the tiles and the plane tops off an already compelling image, nicely done!:clap:

Very creative images Alison!(y)
Smooth: Very inventive! A good fit for the theme....it's a Peugeot 206 isn't it?...I'd know that dash anywhere!
Above: Very well composed image. I do like the colours and textures in the tiles and the plane tops off an already compelling image, nicely done!:clap:
Thank you for your comments and yes, It is indeed a 206

Back