weekly mtjhome's 52 photos for 2014

I like the focus fine the way it is. Nice composition and complementary colours too.
The focus is fine on the Daffs as an image but I think for the theme it needs to be on the clock. Be interesting to see both.
hi, I think the focus is fine where it is, good use of DoF
Initially, I wondered why you put the clock oof and the daffodils in, but I like it. Good composition.
Can't decide on which should be in focus either, but I like it as is so will vote for the current shot :)
The daffs are beautifully in focus....but I think for the theme I would like to see the clock face more clearly.
I'd agree. Looks quite noisey as well, ISO 800, I suspect.

Perhaprs take outside for sime natural light?

Cheers.
I Know a lot as been said about the focus already, I find im searching for what I should be looking at slightly though? Also, it may well be me but the white balance looks a tad warm. The placement of the flowers is good, with nice light on them showing plenty of detail.

Many thanks all for commenting.
Story behind the warm light and high ISO is simple - It was taken indoors. I had to draw the curtains to get rid of dreadful glare on the face of the clock.
Regarding OOF - I was trying to make the clock a bit less obvious - was just make the viewer think a bit.

Hi Mike

DOF works fine for & I saw the connection straightaway so a (y) from me

Now to the hard part........& this is just my opinion so feel free to ignore me :D A lower POV would work better , so you're looking straight at the clock rather than down on it .The color on the Daff's is perfect ( I really struggle with these flowers ) but the focus point seems to be on the one facing out of the shot to the rhs , the foremost ones seems a little soft ?

It's a great idea just needs a little more faffing to lift it

Sorry if this seems harsh , not intended at all :coat:

Hi Mike

DOF works fine for & I saw the connection straightaway so a (y) from me

Now to the hard part........& this is just my opinion so feel free to ignore me :D A lower POV would work better , so you're looking straight at the clock rather than down on it .The color on the Daff's is perfect ( I really struggle with these flowers ) but the focus point seems to be on the one facing out of the shot to the rhs , the foremost ones seems a little soft ?

It's a great idea just needs a little more faffing to lift it

Sorry if this seems harsh , not intended at all :coat:
Hi Lynne - many thanks for the comments - all very useful and taken on board - all the problems that I encountered with this pic have been revealed. Unfortunately it was opportunistic - just limited opportunity to shuffle things around a bit so under the circumstances I'm reasonably pleased with the result - apart form the focus not being on the right flower - no excuse for that. I think I had hoped there was enough DOF for it to be sharp too. Just had a peep at your thread - Kudos to you the time and effort you put into "running out of time" has well and truly paid off.

Time - great DOF and lovely colours on the flowers
Thanks Craig.

If you go down to the woods today...
At long last - sunshine! Yesterday was a glorious day and I took myself to one of my favourite spots nearby.
This is a very personal 'Positive'. So I won't be posting it on the main thread. (I'm still searching for my money shot for positive - have an idea - just need a suitable model.)

IMG_3262as
by mtjhome, on Flickr

However, from the same outing, I am going to post this for 'Swirl'...

IMG_3259as
by mtjhome, on Flickr

Hi Mike :)

Time - I'm liking that, and with the focus how it is, on the daffs, the clock face shows enough to work out the time, and the Springiness of the flowers too :)

Positive - Its amazing how a bit of sunshine makes everybody feel a bit more positive, hoping t=you get your model sop we can see your idea :)

Swirl - OOoo er that makes my eyes go squiffy :pompous: - a very nice effect, Im guessing this was achieved during the shot ??

Great job for swirl, I'd love for this to have be en achieved in caamera, but on the other hand top marks if it's been done in PS.

Hard to say, shutter of 1/250 hints me towards PS, as would have to be a fast camera spin to get that movement in camera.

lovely blue sky there too!

I like how you've positioned the centre of the swirl towards the bottom of the frame. The blue sky has definitely helped by bringing some contrast between background and tree.

Many thanks all for the comments.
I have to admit the swirl was post process - I'm guessing the rotation about a point that is not the center of the frame would be really difficult to achieve in camera.
But by way of excuse, the picture was taken with the idea of a post-process swirl.

Good catch up, liking the linked, good detail in the chain link and wood post, good dof (y)

All three ... excellent.

but ... could the bluebell pic be a little over processed? :thinking:

Hi Mike,
Swirl... love it tho it does affect my eyes too, nice blue sky behind (y)
Linked... smashing big chain for linked the wood has interesting detail too(y)
Step... fits the theme not exciting to look at tho'
Nature... I like the bluebell but I think that as it is leaning towards the right it would be better positioned on the left(y)
Action... would like to see more of the bike, but its a nice shot:)

Hi Mike

good catch up set there....

Linked....like the POV , plenty of detail in both wood & rusty metal :)

Nature....not seen any of those this year....like the sea of blue at the base of the frame & DOF isolating the flower from the tree's in the bg...good color as well(y)

Step....sort of like this....not sure about the angle :thinking:

Action....yeah , think more of the bike might help but actually quite like the high POV , face almost sharp & shows plenty of movement (y)

As said, great motion blur, face looks good for focus, I too like the pov (y), but could certainly do with a little more space in front, just not sure if that was possible with the pov being high :thinking:

Agree with the comments Mike. A little more room in the frame would be nice and possibly a lower POV for me. Well done keeping the head sharp though (y)

Hi, like the strawberry great colour, like the way they are lined up too

Hi Mike :)

Sorry - seem to have missed loads :(

Quick catch up on a few of them...

Linked - Nice close in shot, some excellent detail where in focus, the DoF works really well :)

Step - I think the other foot needs to be further back and the step un clipped, but again great detail in the near shoe, the B&W works well too :)

Nature - Nice Bluebell image, like the narrow DoF again, good background and love the blue 'carpet' of flowers (y)

Twisted - Certainly is... looks a right tangle !!!!

Fresh - Now them strawbs are wonderful, excellent lighting and DoF, the colour and detail are also spot on for me :clap:

Linked - I really like the DoF and the detail in the rust chain and wood on this one

Step - I could imagine in colour this being used in a footwear advert.

Nature - Super super image. I really like this one. The DoF, virant colours and positioning of the Bluebell and all spot on. Well done.

Action - I find this one too closely cropped. I feel I need to see the bottom half of the bike

Twisted - Certainly twisted but a little busy for my liking

Fresh - I like this especially with the use of the shallow DoF. Again nice vibrant colours.

Back