My 52 - The Sequel

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
Yes
So. Here we are again. My second attempt at a 52. First was last year, and made it to about 30 shots before life got in the way and I got so far behind I couldn't get back in to it.

So obviously I'm back to try again.

Good Luck to everyone. I'll try to comment on as many pictures as I can, as constructively as I can. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Week 1 - New

Off to a bad start which is a bummer.

Not a huge amount of time or inspiration this week, but still made it out for an evening to a place I've not shot before. Not super happy with anything I took but this is the best of a bad bunch I think.

The DoF is far too shallow and annoyingly the ones taken with a higher Fstop just don't cut it.

Week 1 - New(low).jpg

A New Place - 14mm F4 1/125 ISO200

Hopefully next week bears more fruit.

Thanks

Flickr Link - For a High Res Shot

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that at all Ross!
You've captured some great colours in the sky beyond, and the shallow DoF works in their favour...very ethereal.
Love the deeper greens in the foreground and you've not lost the textures in the tree trunk too!
Nicely done!(y)

Does the job Ross, and gets you off the mark - nowt wrong with that for theme

Again, nothing wrong with the Image, its different, but not in a bad way. Some nice colours.

Welcome Back Ross :)
Sometimes you just have to PABD eh? I know I did quite a few times last year.
Fits the theme though, new growth :)
And that's quite an interesting effect you've captured with the tree trunks in the distance. Light wrapping around them I guess.

I quite like it lots of new growth I like it with the tree trunk better.

Week 2 - Clean

So not a huge amount of time again this week. This year seems a lot more hectic than this time last year!!

Tried to do some shots inside but with no flash equipment the results were inconsistent to say the least.

So here is Clean for this weeks shot.

Keep 'Em Clean (low).jpg

I know I haven't got around to commenting yet, but will get that sorted tomorrow when I have a day off. So get ready for my torrent of rubbish.

Thanks

I like this. Well staged and composed. The DOF makes it an interesting image to look at

Two good images both fitting for the themes I like the idea for new and a good composition for clean

Week 3 - Open

Week 3 and I'm very behind on the old comments this year. Is there that many more people than last year?!

Anyways, Ron's back to feature in this years 52. Here he is with his 'Eyes Wide Open'. Could maybe have had a bit more DoF but think the eyes are in focus ok. I did try a second style of shot but don't thinks it works. I think if it was in focus front to back then it would but not as it is which is a shame, maybe I'll try it again another time.

'Eyes Wide Open'
Open low.jpg

And heres the one I'm not sure about:

Open 2low.jpg

As per usual there are higher quality shot on my Flickr account Here

Thanks

They are both quite flat and need a lift do you ever check the histogram?

of the two I like the second one don't know why

They are both nice images, I prefer the full face but something draws me back the the half crop.

My preference is the full face one as well. Good focus on the eyes and the nice tight shot works for me. I do agree that it could be a little brighter but that might not have been the feel you were going for.

Well I’m sorry you see it that way certainly not meant I was only trying to help
Im not taking it personally. This is a photo critique challenge. They look quite bright on my computer screen thats all. Maybe I need to play with my display settings.
Having looked on my phone they dont look as good.

Last edited:
Two very good images Ross.
You've nailed the focus on the eyes for both images - I imagine this isn't easy for subjects that perhaps don't appreciate the value of sitting still!!:giggle:
I prefer the full face portrait personally, though I do like the half face one too, I just think that with a face as cute as that, it shouldn't be wasted!!
Plus, you've captured that 'I'm about to do something naughty', mischievous look perfectly!!
Nice work!(y)

I'd go for the half crop personally. It adds a bit of mystery to the shot. The full face is a cute portrait-type shot but it's the second one for me.

Back