weekly Nat's Photo52 *2012* Week 51 Negative added 25 Dec

Hi Nathalie....sorry it's taken me soooo long to find your thread :crying:

Direction....say what you want , I think thats a belting image of the moon...great ,just great :clap::clap:

Fear....I keep going back & looking at this shot.....having read the words I can now see it but not sure it works for me....goes back for another look....eye's looking at the scissor tips..good...mono ...good...:)

Must admit i didnt notice the scissors at first, so was a bit like 'I dont get it :thinking:' But now I've seen them in the top corner I must say i do like the pic.

I look forward to seeing what else you bring for the coming themes.

Direction : Not the easiest of subjects to shoot, and as you found, the dynamic range of the moon and the surroundings is seriously huge. It's come out quite well for such a short focal length, and I'm also gonna say, the moon was quite low, making it much harder to get a decent shot too.

Fear : It took me a little while to work out what I was looking at... now I see the sheep, it makes sense and fits the theme perfectly. I think the colour may have helped to enhance it to be more clear, but as you say.. the red may have been an issue.

Good start to your 52.

Direction - loving the moon shot. Tried some myself before xmas but could of done with it being a bit bigger in the sky!

Fear - great shot. As said previously a bit more scissors in view would make it more obvious but i really like it.

wardie

As others have said I didn’t understand the shot at first but after reading your description I think it’s great I just get drawn to the sheep’s eye.

But I think the leafy thing on the right of the scissors could be darkened a bit.

Thanks all for stopping by and commenting.

I still have NO ideas for Week 3. :( I'm hoping next week's theme will be a little easier -- we've had two difficult ones in a row now. (Or, when you're doing a challenge like this, is it true that you will find most themes hard?)

Thanks all for stopping by and commenting.

I still have NO ideas for Week 3. :( I'm hoping next week's theme will be a little easier -- we've had two difficult ones in a row now. (Or, when you're doing a challenge like this, is it true that you will find most themes hard?)

if it was easy it would be a challenge, you will be sat down and it will just pop in to your head.
good luck.

Darren(y)

Week 3 - Sigh by C Fredriksson, on Flickr
1/20sec f1.8 50mm ISO800

I had a few ideas for this week's theme, based around a sigh of relief, none of which worked. The biggest issue was having to model for the photo myself -- I could not be in two places at the same time (cable for the remote was nowhere near long enough). In the end, I settled for the above; how I feel at 6am every morning when my alarm clock (well, in my case the iPhone) goes off and I know I'll have to leave my warm bed and get up very soon. More often than not, I snooze two or three times.

Bugger, that's my take on the theme taken - the perils of having to wait for the weekend!

I think the focus would have been better on the phone's alarm clock rather than the hand though.

Nice shot! I can completly sympathise with this concept!

Like it, however not sure the focus is in the correct part of he image for me. Maybe the focus should be on the phone rather than the fingers. Defo hits the theme spot on.
Are you talking about the plane of focus? Focus might be a little bit off - I was on manual - but it is still on the phone (on the text "Mon-Fri" to be exact). Remember it was shot at f1.8 and the fingers are not behind the phone, they're above it. I shot this with the lens pointing down, which as you can tell also affected the plane of focus.

Oh yes, sigh for sure! I don't think it's quite obvious that it's an alarm clock, and think a traditional one would have worked better, but it's a great shot none-the-less :)

Oh yes, sigh for sure! I don't think it's quite obvious that it's an alarm clock, and think a traditional one would have worked better, but it's a great shot none-the-less :)
I agree - a proper alarm clock (I would have preferred an old-school one!) would have looked better. I don't own one of those, though, and I wasn't going to go out and buy one just for the sake of photographing it.

Last edited:
…...and I wasn't going to go out and buy one just for the sake of photographing it.

Where's your commitment eh? I mean, I built a bloomin' coffin for goodness sake! ;););););););)

I agree - a proper alarm clock (I would have preferred an old-school one!) would have looked better. I don't own one of those, though, and I wasn't going to go out and buy one just for the sake of photographing it.

Oh dear, I went out and bought one:wacky: - well my dear hubby (delta skies) went out to get me one!!:)

I really like yours and that snooze button is very familiar!!

Well done!

Having photographed myself a few times for last year's 52, I can empathise with you. Not easy.

But despite the cropped fingers I really like this one...the sense of motion in your hand works really well.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Not having somebody to help me, or model for me, makes some things that normally would be straightforward quite difficult. I do what I can to set the shot up properly, but I can't position myself in the frame and check the composition before pressing the shutter. All I can do is put myself in what I think is the right position, press the remote, go back to the camera and check the image and then make the necessary adjustments. It usually takes a number of shots to get it right. I had to do five series of about 10 frames each with the phone alarm to get one shot that looked close to what I had in mind.

Fear - I really like this.

Sigh - I understand what you are trying to get over but I'm afraid in this case it doesn't really work for me I'm afraid. I think it's because I can't see the link with the alarm clock.

Week 4 - Sweet by C Fredriksson, on Flickr
1/60sec f2.2 50mm ISO200 flash + natural light

I was going to photograph these liquorice allsorts in an old-style glass jar, but the jar was too small and it just didn't look right. The sweets were too big and I couldn't get an angle that worked with the jar. So I tried a few other things with them, and in the end the above was what I liked the most - though I should say that I'm not thrilled with it. I wanted the column to be tilted, on the verge of collapsing, but I couldn't get them to stay in place long enough to get the shot (did not use a tripod or remote).

What I don't like: looks too staged and on hindsight a bit more DOF would have been better

What I do like: the colours

Last edited:
I like this :)

The DoF looks fine to me and of course it's bang on theme.

Hi, quite like this one. Well composed and nice contrast between the pink and blue.

Nice smiley face on the top pink sweet would be good and maybe use the RH sweet to make it into a figure...:thinking:

Cheers and plenty of time for a reshoot...the week is young :D

no I love it, the DoF is just right, my eyes want to look at everything, and my mouth wants to eat everything, yummy

*I hope no sweeties were harmed during this shoot? :LOL:

Really like this Nathalie! The placement of the sweets and the soft 'Pastel' (sorry :D) colours really suit the subject.

Agree with the comment about the front sweet though, I also think that it should be in focus. Otherwise...fantastic!

sturisoma said:
no I love it, the DoF is just right, my eyes want to look at everything, and my mouth wants to eat everything, yummy

*I hope no sweeties were harmed during this shoot? :LOL:

I agree, yummy! If I was out shopping this shot would have me grabbing a bag!

But maybe you should 'harm' them! A well placed cocktail stick could aid the 'lean' you want!

Back