weekly NickD's Photo52 Challenge - 2013 - Completed!

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Ah well, here we go...

Week 1 - Sin.

Sin by NickD71, on Flickr

No processing as such, beyond a crop in ViewNX, as I'm a bit clueless as to what to do with a shot light this. Shot on a tripod and lit with my phone as I wanted it to look a bit like a sneaky torchlit vengeance excercise... oh, and it was that or the on-camera flash. :nono:

Fire away should you feel so inclined, it's the only way I'll learn.

I do apologise if anyone finds it offensive in any way, I blame my inner schoolboy.

Last edited:
I don't get the sin bit its more cruel. I dont find it offensive needs a better composition

An interesting take on the idea but pretty horrid!!

The photo itself doesn't do a lot for me to be honest, the lighting seems a bit harsh and I don't think the purple velvety background works. Thinking through how you might make this work, perhaps the box and aerosol lid are surplus to requirements? Ad a plain black background? Maybe the whole thing in b&w?...

Blimey - thats beyond sin..... closer to downright evil! :LOL:

what about the shot though. purple background is the main thing for me - use of DOF is good, focus fine. Maybe a tighter crop?

Don't think those are ear-plugs ! Very 'Original Sin' though !

Thanks for your input! :)

I don't get the sin bit its more cruel. I dont find it offensive needs a better composition

Ah, it's based on the apocryphal playground legend of adultery and retribution (which I'm absolutely sure couldn't actually be true), I assumed it was a general legend... maybe it was a local variation. I should have been clearer.

Composition was a wing and a prayer to be honest, just experimenting. It's not something I've any experience with (which looking at others shots is becoming more and more evident)

The photo itself doesn't do a lot for me to be honest, the lighting seems a bit harsh and I don't think the purple velvety background works. Thinking through how you might make this work, perhaps the box and aerosol lid are surplus to requirements? Ad a plain black background? Maybe the whole thing in b&w?...

The lighting is pretty brutal. I faffed about for a while, but couldn't get anything I was happy with using what I had... Should have waited until I had some natural light I guess, but wanted to make a start. The more I look at it, the less the box and lid need to be there, a sparser set up would make for much easier composition wouldn't it? I did consider B&W, but figured the red was needed for the Deep Heat. I'll give it a try though, Thanks.

what about the shot though. purple background is the main thing for me - use of DOF is good, focus fine. Maybe a tighter crop?

That's a couple of votes against the background then? I though the purple and the silky texture was a little more 'sinful'... Guess not. I'll mess about with crops, see what happens.

Ouch!

You have a horrible mind :D Love the lighting and colours and sharpness in the picture though in spite of its content

As I mentioned above, it's a bit of a schoolyard urban legend... I'm afraid I can't take credit for the wickedness! :D

Ear plugs and deep heat :thinking:

Brilliant... Hear no evil!:D

i must be strange because i laughed when i saw this :)

like the shot :)

I hadn't related adultery to the theme but now can see the link. A good use of colours but I wouldn't have connected the theme unless it hadn't been said.

No, there, there have been many interpretations of Sin. I'm not seeing Sin per se, more naughty/wicked :nono:

It's OK. WB looks fine but not really saying Sin.

Sometimes, it's about getting a photograph, posting it and moving onto week 2.

Cheers.

Hi Nick :)

Well little I can add to the above comments really (same as I have said to many threads as commenting a bit late) I like your idea, it did make me laugh, as above re: background & composition.

On the positive side, an interesting idea, set-it up, got the shot and posted it, more than Iv'e done :D

Look forward to your next shot Nick (y)

Must admit, I saw this and laughed! ;)
The sin theme wasn't immediately obvious, but a little explanation and I think you've justified it! I think the lighting is a little harsh (shadows in the box etc), but overall I like it, nice one!

Many thanks for your comments everyone! :)

Maybe it was a bit of a tenuous link on reflection. It wasn't my first thought, but by the time I'd looked at all the apple shots that went up, much better than I could do, that idea got binned straight away. I guess it's all down to the individual, as the booze, poker and chocolate shots don't really say 'sin' to me... more 'weekend'.

I'm glad I made a start though, and as out of my depth I felt with this kind of shot, I really did enjoy it. Must try harder with composition and lighting for similar shots in future... that's coming through loud and clear, thanks people.

I'm glad it made a few of you giggle... it did me.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully)... Next!

Hi Nick & a belated welcome from me :wave:

Now that is wayyyy beyond sin...you've got a real wicked sense of humour :LOL: & yes...it made me laugh out loud & wince at the same time :eek:

Don't beat yourself up ove compostion ( I've been at this project for 2 years & still get it wrong...regularly !) the important thing is to have fun whilst your doing it & the learning will happen without you actually knowing it .

I quite like the set up , possibly have removed the foremost tampon , lighting looks ok as does DOF , the writing on the can is sharp & the colors look just right (y)

a different take on the theme there.. had to think for a while.. evil sense of humour :)

Many thanks for your comments everyone! :)

Maybe it was a bit of a tenuous link on reflection. It wasn't my first thought, but by the time I'd looked at all the apple shots that went up, much better than I could do, that idea got binned straight away. I guess it's all down to the individual, as the booze, poker and chocolate shots don't really say 'sin' to me... more 'weekend'.

I'm glad I made a start though, and as out of my depth I felt with this kind of shot, I really did enjoy it. Must try harder with composition and lighting for similar shots in future... that's coming through loud and clear, thanks people.

I'm glad it made a few of you giggle... it did me.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully)... Next!

Sorry, that line made me chuckle, what a lad thing to say.

Can't add much to the equation because i'm a bit of a noob, but the background works for me, it adds to the sin theme, and although its probably the only thing that struck me as "sin", after the explanation you gave i do fully understand it now.

Look forward to week 2!

Ed.

Cheers all, thanks for your views. Glad a few of you got some amusement from it! :)

Week 2 - Season.

Keeping Warm by NickD71, on Flickr

Decided to submit this one and move on, as it looks like the current round of photogenic weather is destined to pass us by around here.

Out and about today I spotted this little fella, fully fluffed, trying to keep warm in a tree naked apart from the first tiny blossoms, maybe suggesting the worst is over... then again...

I know it's a little soft here and there, that's what handheld, 1/30 and 135mm will do for you. :bang:

Any crit welcome. :)

I am not the biggest fan of bird shots if truth be known. The theme seems to be covered well in my opinion, but...well, I guess it's just a bit boring to me! (Having said tha I would level the same crit at myself for week 2...not posted yet!)

I think it was the season that was against you here - simply not enough light to get a fast enough shutter. But you've not cropped off any tails or feathers, the buds do show the mild spell we've had, but the puff of the feathers show the cold snap.

And well composed, with "space to look into"

I'm sure the "tit on a twig" guys would have a field day with this, but I think its a good enough shot and says "wood pigeon in winter" to me.
Like you said, move on. At least you got out and about with your camera this week, my photo was taken from the office window!

Last edited:
Nice sharp shot
Doesn't really say season to me but I'm maybe just hung up on pepper and snow haha

nice change from pepper and snow :) that's a fat bird!.. like the position in the frame looking off to the side

Looks good, I like the background very much with the hint of tiny blossom buds.

Well done.

Season - Crit covered yourself really :)

I like the crop and a pleasing background... also looks good enough to eat :D (y)

Thanks DK. Can't really go wrong with bare trees for background can you, the progressively more out of focus branches are a gift. Not sure about any critter in London as food... Lord knows what they're carrying!

I am not the biggest fan of bird shots if truth be known. The theme seems to be covered well in my opinion, but...well, I guess it's just a bit boring to me!

Not really my thing either if I'm honest, unless in flight or a particularly awesome looking bird of prey, but I'd had a crack at the spice cupboard last weekend, after which a few good similar shots went up so I decided to look for something else.

I think it was the season that was against you here - simply not enough light to get a fast enough shutter. But you've not cropped off any tails or feathers, the buds do show the mild spell we've had, but the puff of the feathers show the cold snap.
And well composed, with "space to look into"

Thanks, I was pretty happy with the crop. I know what you mean about the light... How did people manage before VR?

I'm sure the "tit on a twig" guys would have a field day with this, but I think its a good enough shot and says "wood pigeon in winter" to me.
Like you said, move on. At least you got out and about with your camera this week, my photo was taken from the office window!

Thanks! I like your 'out of the office shot' though... What says season more than being smart enough to stay inside?:D

Nice sharp shot
Doesn't really say season to me but I'm maybe just hung up on pepper and snow haha

nice change from pepper and snow :) that's a fat bird!.. like the position in the frame looking off to the side

Thanks both! I did have a crack at the seasoning shots, but a few good ones posted early put me off posting mine. I'd have done snow if we'd had it too... Half wish that I'd hung on now, as it's supposed to hit us tomorrow. Having said that, if it does come I'll be out there on my lunchbreak anyway, as I've never really done snow with a proper camera.

You nearly had a seasonal shot here - looks like it is sitting on a viburnum bush and that is seasonal and beautifully scented

Many thanks for that, it's started to bug me more and more that I can't identify the birds, bushes, trees, etc that I shoot. That one's not far from the office... I'll keep an eye on it!

Looks good, I like the background very much with the hint of tiny blossom buds.

Well done.

Thanks a lot. It's the background that makes it for me too.

Thanks for your input everyone... all food for thought! :)

Week 3 - Gravity

Mind Your Head by NickD71, on Flickr

I did have a more interesting idea (honest!) but I'd no idea how to execute it, and I'm gonna be pushed for time this week so I figured I'd save it for another time. I knew there'd be one of these somewhere, and I needed a quick idea, so it's kind of a 'make do' option, but it gave me a chance to faff about in PSE, which I kinda enjoyed.

Any crit gratefully recieved. :)

Hi Nick - season - just on theme for me with that hint of coldness and the first blossom. Good comp with the space to look into and good b/g

Gravity - good idea in my view - spot on theme. (y) POV ok and vignette not bad. looks a little green on my monitor. Bottom band not quite straight. Pity about the vertical reflection of something that looks like a pole and the damage to the rhs of plaque

A lot simpler than some of the things I've been trying :LOL:

just a smidge to the right may have lined up the reflected "pole" dead centre, and I wonder about cropping off the top half stone more in symmetry with the lower one?

(y)

Hi Nick - season - just on theme for me with that hint of coldness and the first blossom. Good comp with the space to look into and good b/g

Gravity - good idea in my view - spot on theme. (y) POV ok and vignette not bad. looks a little green on my monitor. Bottom band not quite straight. Pity about the vertical reflection of something that looks like a pole and the damage to the rhs of plaque

Thanks for looking.

I'm reasonably happy with season, for that kind of shot. It is a little dull, but it's hard to make a Pigeon look interesting (unless it's in a really nice redcurrant sauce and surrounded by sauteed potatoes!)

You're absolutely right of course, 'Gravity' is not quite straight... I swear it was when I put it up! I always struggle with straightness, particularly with architectural stuff. The vignette is pretty heavy, which is kinda deliberate. The upper left of the shot was dark, and the upper right was light, so I was trying to minimise that. It might be a little green, as I did faff around with effects in PP, and this laptop screen has never been calibrated. I can live with the damage to the plaque, but the reflection is annoying - it's actually a shop sign hanging down above it... bloody gravity eh? :D

A lot simpler than some of the things I've been trying :LOL:

just a smidge to the right may have lined up the reflected "pole" dead centre, and I wonder about cropping off the top half stone more in symmetry with the lower one?

(y)

Simple was a necessity this week, as I've been a bit pushed for time... This was a lunch hour dash (not to mention my skill level ruling out anything particularly complicated... Looking around this section I really need to start learning about OCF, as there's some crackers).

You know, it never occurred to me to try and line up the reflection, I was more preocupied with keeping the article itself out of the frame... which is pretty much what dictated the crop too. Thanks for pointing that out... it's these little insights that really help. :)

Week 4 - Wild.

Fenced In by NickD71, on Flickr

Not the best shot I took yesterday, and there were a couple I was particularly torn between, but I really liked the way he seemed to be looking out past the fence.

Given the fact that he came from the Falklands I'm consoling myself with the fact that he's probably not missing the wild that much.:D

Gravity - Who ever fitted that needs shooting... for me it's on the squif, nothing you can do with that so - thumbs up from me (y)

Wild - :O is he going to jump onto the pole and try to escape !!!!

I like that, lovely background and the composition is spot on, thirds always :)

Hi, quick comments, I'm afraid:

Gravity, well spotted. Nice low angle.Perhaps a slight CW rotation and loose the dark strip at the bottom, for me.

Wild, penguins...love 'em. Not a lot you could do but pity the RH fence.

Cheers.

Back