weekly NickD's Photo52 Challenge - 2013 - Completed!

Hi Nick

Gluttony - I agree with everythng said by Andy re the set up. Great idea and really good take on the glass elements which look clean despite the amount of grease all over the place. As to the lighting of the front, perhaps try a piece of white card at the front/ side to reflect back a bit of the candlelight. Might not work but worth a try. Good motion and good PP.

Time - very clear focus in centre and upper part. Good comp ( altho maybe that small pointer next to the 8 could go). Excellent take on covering the 'X' whilst at the same time leaving enough for us to know that it is still a Timex.

Altogether a well thought out shot. (y)

Hi, great detail and movement. Works well with the theme and I quite like the blue cast. I'd like to see it sharp thoroughout.

Cheers.

like the movement of the second hand and the way you have highlighted the word time by blocking the x not keen on the colour of it all

like the movement of the second hand and the way you have highlighted the word time by blocking the x not keen on the colour of it all

Agree with Allan, personally the colour is not to my taste but otherwise a great image. (y)

couple of really good ones here Nick, love the lard on a plate shot, not sure about the DOF / focus point there. At first glance it looks soft, but then the eye does pull through to the detail of the lard in packs, and the olive oil bottle, which is the 'punchline' to the joke, if you like. So on reflection, I think you got it right!

And nice work on time, like the processing, it definately does have the indiglo look to it, and good attention to detail using the second hand to cover the X up.

Thanks. The focus point was actually on the candle, as the AF didn't like anything else. I'd hoped the DOF would be deep enough to get everything in, but it wasn't. More work on MF needed!... As a result I went for MF with time, and it worked out ok.

Hi Nick

Gluttony - I agree with everythng said by Andy re the set up. Great idea and really good take on the glass elements which look clean despite the amount of grease all over the place. As to the lighting of the front, perhaps try a piece of white card at the front/ side to reflect back a bit of the candlelight. Might not work but worth a try. Good motion and good PP.

Time - very clear focus in centre and upper part. Good comp ( altho maybe that small pointer next to the 8 could go). Excellent take on covering the 'X' whilst at the same time leaving enough for us to know that it is still a Timex.

Altogether a well thought out shot. (y)

Thanks a lot. Using reflected light would have never occurred to me, I'll try to play with that on future pics... It makes perfect sense now you mention it.

I'd have preferred sharpness throughout on Time, again, something for next time.

Hi, great detail and movement. Works well with the theme and I quite like the blue cast. I'd like to see it sharp thoroughout.

Cheers.

Cheers!

I knew the blue element would be a personal thing, glad it works for you. Totally agree about sharpness throughout, something I need to take more care about.

Thanks for looking. I had a feeling the blue cast wouldn't work for everyone. Maybe it is a little OTT.

Agree with Allan, personally the colour is not to my taste but otherwise a great image. (y)

Thanks!

As above, it was always going to be a matter of taste from that point of view. Glad you like the other elements though.

Hi ya

thats a wicked color...like it...plus you caught motion in the second hand...yup (y) from me

Gluttony......I like your thinking behind this, not sure if a wider shot would have worked too with a little pp subtle highlite of the word.

Time........The colour works great on this shot and the time to show time :D I may have been tempted to remove the remainder of the X behind the hand though.

(y)

I have no idea what indiglo is supposed to look like, so I'll assume it's accurate. :D Nice image, and the colour works well.

Hi ya

thats a wicked color...like it...plus you caught motion in the second hand...yup (y) from me

Thanks... Glad you like it!

Gluttony......I like your thinking behind this, not sure if a wider shot would have worked too with a little pp subtle highlite of the word.

Time........The colour works great on this shot and the time to show time :D I may have been tempted to remove the remainder of the X behind the hand though.

(y)

Thanks for looking. The crop is as it is purely as there's a window sill just out of shot on the top right hand. Both of your PP suggestions are spot on, but to be honest I wouldn't know where to begin. I really need to spend some time experimenting.

I have no idea what indiglo is supposed to look like, so I'll assume it's accurate. :D Nice image, and the colour works well.

If you're prepared to assume that, I'm prepared to let you!:D

Thanks for looking, I think it works ok too.

Week 9 - Juxtaposition.

I had three shots immediately spring to mind for this, one I discounted because I and everyone else have taken it before (The old church in the foreground of the Gherkin), the second I dashed out and attempted in my lunch break yesterday, but harsh light and a muggy haze left me with nothing. The shot below I snatched at lunch today, getting there and back left me only a couple of minutes to shoot. The light wasn't really in my favour, and a quiet Sunday with no-one about would have been preferable, but hey... you take 'em when you can!

Thanks for looking. :)

Stone and Glass by NickD71, on Flickr

Fantastic shot, and great juxtaposition too!

Great perspective, love the way the glass draws you up and in. Agree it would have been better to have been free of people, but they don't dominate the scene.

Maybe a bit dark on the floor, but that juxtaposes well with the bright sky. ;)

Like it. (y)

Many thanks! :)

I did try to lift the shadows a little, but this was as far as I dared go!

Nice one Nick (y)
That view is a particular favourite of mine and with what little time you had, you've done it justice. The people add to the scene I feel.
Its a crisp, sharp image. The darkness of the ground doesn't detract in anyway as, as Graham said, the viewers eye is drawn in and up to the great reflections. bang on theme, good work (y)

Cheers!:)

I love that whole end of the city, been a while since I've managed to get a day up there though, what with family responsibilities and such. I remember it as being a touch more symmetrical though, and didn't really have time to figure it out properly. I dashed from Mansion House, rattled off 16 shots, then dashed back for the tube... don't think the boss noticed though! :D

I love the reflections and the symmetry. well Done.

Thanks all!:)

I'm pretty happy with it considering, but to be fair it is one of those shots that's just set up for you and ready to go... hard to go wrong really, unless you're facing in the wrong direction!:D

i like this shot, the reflections, especially the way they are angled leading you towards the building

Like it. Overall, well composed and I like the reflections. I like that the people are in shadow.

Symmetry is a tad off, mainly from the like on the ground leading into the frame.

Cheers.

agree with everyone else nice picture nice angles and nice exposure

Great stuff, glad you like it.

Thanks for your input everyone, knowing you're on the right track with a shot is just as enlightening as the excellent constructive criticism you give (and is much better for the ego:D).

Week 10 - Letter.

I had to get this one out of the way, as this week (and the couple following) will be mental... Put it this way, I hope the next few themes are wedding related, or I'm out of luck (I'll be guesting and participating though, not togging beyond facebook quality shots of friends partying).

I B&W'd it as I had to let the ISO do some work, and wanted to negate the effect of the noise to some extent.

A is for Archie - Learning is tough. by NickD71, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. :)

I'm not very good at critique other than I really like this, well done

Thanks!

I know what you mean, my crit is generally restricted to 'I like that', occasionally adventuring into 'I like that because...'. I find it hard to offer anything of any value, particularly from a technical point of view, as I don't actually know anything yet... Still, one day, who knows?

Hi Nick

love your image for Juxtaposition...great angle , lovely n sharp , fab reflections of the old in the new....(y)

Letter...good choice with mono...not sure if I'd prefer the A to be in focus rather than the childs face :thinking:

Thanks a lot!:)

I did actually take the shot with focus on the 'A', but it didn't work at all for me.

(On an unrelated subject, it appears you're a Triumph rider... good choice! If on your travels you run into a mildly deranged Lancastrian lady on a bright pink Speed Triple... that'll be the wife:))

Last edited:
Really nice shot.

Not sure which id prefer to be in focus, the a or childs face, without seeing both its hard to say. Its your 52 so go with what you like! :)

Hi, the, Letter, good idea. Learning can be tough. Like the expression on Archie's face. And B&W was a food choice to give it a moody/gloomy feel.

I'd prefer the letter to be I in focus as that, for me, is theme, but as Sid, it's your theme (y)

I did a severe crop of the head to just show Archie's eyes and the A, quite liked it.

Cheers and hope the week goes well (y)

Love the shot, and I'm another one who at first glance thought it should be the A in focus, but Archie is so cute, so having him oof.......??? I'm not sure.

Hi Nick
I am not sure which should be in focus to be honest :LOL:
The 'rules' say subjects eyes should be in focus but then this theme is letter so should that as the other subject be in focus? :thinking:

A decision? The eyes have it :LOL: the viewer can establish it is the letter 'A' it doesn't necessarily need to be pin sharp.

I like the eye contact here Nick, compositionally good too with maybe a little crop off the top as Andy suggested. Iain

Cheers people, your input is much appreciated!:)

I'll have a play with crops if I get chance, and see what I come up with.

By way of comparison, for those who mentioned it, I've had a root though my trashcan and dug out one of the alternative focus versions. I think I still prefer the first version, but it'd be a dull world if we all liked the same thing.

A is for Archie - Alternative focus by NickD71, on Flickr

Hi Nick, both great shots for me, and go with the others about it being in B&W, and the mood itcreates, if I had to pick one it would be the one with the A in focus, purely because of this week theme

Hi Nick,

Letter - Very Good idea and well handled. Good use of b&w. Both shots are good for different reasons. In both cases, very good focus. i think that I prefer the first shot because the child's face is more important (particularly with your title) and the letter is still very visible and prominent.

I like both of them they both work excellent pics and nice interpretation of the theme :clap:

I'm glad you put a title to this one, it makes the exhausted look he has understandable and acceptable. Both focussed shots work really well, well done to you for having the ideas to try both. (y)

As a shot of archie, it has to be the focus on him for me, but for this weeks theme, the focus on the letter wins through, especially as you've got the details in the wood of the "A" and the DOF is not so severe that you can't still get the expression in his face!

Top work.

Back