Nikon Z* mirrorless

Now there is a service advisory out for the Z8 ref. strap lug problem.
I'm glad I waited before sending mine off for the lens mount.

Your Z 8 camera is affected for both the mount and strap eyelet issues. Please continue to send in for repair
I was watching this for the same reason, two birds one stone. Unfortunate for the ones that have already returned their Z8 for their mount issue.

Had the Z9 for a couple of weeks now so whilst I'm still getting to grips with it I've got a few questions mainly aimed at those who have had one for a while.

Spare battery - do you really need one, did you buy one and never use it? Is a good USB-C power bank a good enough backup as an example?

L-Bracket - Which one did you go for and why? was it the right choice etc? I've 'temporarily' picked up a used Sunwayfoto PNL-Z9 and it seems to be the only one piece bracket I've seen and all the others are 2 pieces, any issues with this?

Custom button layout - a lot to learn here! How long did it take you work out how to best customise it for yourself? Do you have different layouts for different genres or try and keep it the same for everything? The only experience I have with the camera is with V4 firmware which I believe added in more options here and I'd really love to know what your must have option is. Every lens I have also has an l-fn button (or 2), so my biggest problem here is too much choice and knowing what to setup!

Tips - As I'm getting back into the habit of getting out with the camera, especially for wildlife with the 400mm f4.5, what advice would you give to someone who's main experience here would be with a D850? with lots to learn, I feel that some of the answers to this question will help a lot.

An unexpected issue I've come across is using a Z9 + 400mm f4.5 with a gimbal head, this is the first time I've had a camera heavier than the lens and balancing it can be a challenge, is there an easy solution?

Things that I shoot mainly are wildlife / landscape / anything, in that order, thanks in advance for any help!

An unexpected issue I've come across is using a Z9 + 400mm f4.5 with a gimbal head, this is the first time I've had a camera heavier than the lens and balancing it can be a challenge, is there an easy solution?
Just slide it forward until it balances... might need to get a longer plate and mount it so it extends towards the body. And probably mount it so the gimbal upright is on the left side. It might end up blocking the focus mode button and battery release, but that's better than blocking the shooting hand.
It seems that this issue is pushing more back towards pan/tilt heads... a lot are switching over to video heads with counterbalance, which is what we used to use 30 yrs ago.

If you use the auto capture function, or the MC-N10 remote, you are likely to want a second battery. And if you shoot really heavy for extended time or set the standby time higher. But for most things an external pack is a viable solution; plus it can be used to recharge the on-board battery.

I have the SmallRig L-bracket... it's fine, but not great. I haven't even used it yet.

It took me quite a while to decide how I set all of the options. I do not change them for different situations; it can be confusing enough as it is. And I don't set a bunch of them to different focus modes like most suggest... for me there are better things to be doing with my thumb and the other buttons. I have the primary focus mode on the shutter release (set by situation/subject); and I have my backup focus mode (typically custom wide area) set on the AF-ON, along with a bunch of other settings (recall settings- hold).

hi, everyone

i got my brand new Z8. there is no PSMAC123 dial. how could i save my setting? i had set shoot 2 mode to 15/1 iso 2000 F5.6 for flash. but sometime i would adjust some setting based on that moment, for example: F3.5 and 20/1 shutter speed. and then, sometime, i will change to shoot 3 to do continuous shooting without a flash. then, i will switch back to shoot 2 , but its still F3.5 20/1 . i want it back to 15/1 F5.6. i need the old one C1, C2, C3 seting, please help

hi, everyone

i got my brand new Z8. there is no PSMAC123 dial. how could i save my setting? i had set shoot 2 mode to 15/1 iso 2000 F5.6 for flash. but sometime i would adjust some setting based on that moment, for example: F3.5 and 20/1 shutter speed. and then, sometime, i will change to shoot 3 to do continuous shooting without a flash. then, i will switch back to shoot 2 , but its still F3.5 20/1 . i want it back to 15/1 F5.6. i need the old one C1, C2, C3 seting, please help
The professional Nikon bodies (eg D850, D5, and now the Z9 and Z8) have never had the custom settings options, but uses two Menu memory banks. A "shooting menu bank" and "Custom settings bank". And as an aside if you want the Shooting menu memory banks to save exposure mode, shutter speed and aperture you need to switch on the "extended photo menu bank" option.

The philosophy of using menu bank memory is rather different to the one of using custom memory options C1,C2 etc as they only remember a limited number of controls and are "dynamic" in that they always remember your most recent changes and don't take you back to the original settings you saved in memory.

They don't really work, if you want to save static changes ie one set of settings for landscape and another for action, but work well if you want subtle changes though a days shooting.

I have the shooting menu set up for three different bird photography settings, one for fast flying birds (menu bank b) , one for slow flying birds (menu bank c) and a third for static birds (menu bank d).

Menu bank B has a starting setting of 1/2500s (set up at home), but if its bright day and it's very fast flying birds I might change this with the control wheel to 1/5000. If I switch subjects to static birds I change to Menu bank D, which among other things has a saved shutter speed of 1/800s.

Now, and this is where the menu banks are different to the custom menus, if I now switch back to fast flying birds (menu bank b) it doesn't change back to 1/2500, but has remembered that when I was using this menu bank earlier in the day I had set it to 1/5000, and that is what it changes back to. It will also remember if I also switched from aperture to manual mode etc. At the end of the days shooting I set the menu banks back to my defaults.

So, as I said the menu bank approach is more dynamic than the custom menu option and adapts to the shooting conditions as you work. I'm fairly confident this is why this approach has persisted on the Nikon pro bodies.

They are much more difficult to get your head around, and not great, for the "save and forget" approach that the custom settings allow for. However from what you describe, they might actually work fine for what you want.

If you google Nikon z8 (or z9) and shooting menu banks, there are lots of videos going through how you can set them up and use them. There have been subtle changes between camera models (I use a D500, and I only do wildlife with it), but the basics has been the same for close on a couple of decades so older info is still going to be useful.

hi, everyone

Those are some strange settings to set as defaults...
But you can set a button to "recall settings" or "recall settings-hold" and store those options (and many more) to be recalled. You can only have one bank of settings recalled; so don't bother programming multiple buttons for it. And when the camera goes into standby it reverts to the primary settings; you would need to hit the recall button again after waking the camera up.

But you can set a button to "recall settings" or "recall settings-hold" and store those options (and many more) to be recalled. You can only have one bank of settings recalled; so don't bother programming multiple buttons for it. And when the camera goes into standby it reverts to the primary settings; you would need to hit the recall button again after waking the camera up.
thanks i will try. but is it really good for most of the photograhger ? im not sure . seem not flexible enough ? especially Nikon is a famous brand of photography? or smth i dont understand, hope you all can share with me. its my first time to use Nikon. i have been using GFX, olympus and lumix for 10 years :)

thanks i will try. but is it really good for most of the photograhger ? im not sure . seem not flexible enough ? especially Nikon is a famous brand of photography? or smth i dont understand, hope you all can share with me. its my first time to use Nikon. i have been using GFX, olympus and lumix for 10 years :)
Bear in mind that this is in addition to the four shooting menu memory banks and the four custom menu memory banks that I mentioned in my post.

Bear in mind that this is in addition to the four shooting menu memory banks and the four custom menu memory banks that I mentioned in my post.
I've watched the video, but I still don't quite understand. It's probably on my end, but I'll keep trying gradually until I grasp its logic. Thanksss :)

thanksssss i found it, will try it tomorrow ;)

I've watched the video, but I still don't quite understand. It's probably on my end, but I'll keep trying gradually until I grasp its logic. Thanksss :)
It does take a little bit of time to get to grips with it, especially if you are expecting it to work like the custom C1, C2 etc settings, but its arguably more flexible and powerful than those C1 etc settings, in the circumstances where its designed to be used.

I'm not sure what video you watched but here are some links for the Z9, but it should be the same for the Z8 (I'm not sure about the last one). Ignore the video not available message and just click on the link and it should work.

Recommended Sports Settings For The Nikon Z9

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zpRjs7Woy0

Z9 Shooting Menu Bank

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XnvAcl5-CA

Z9 menu banks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioFl9nPJhUc

Setting up and copying

Last edited:
This is interesting.

Nikon reps have already said that the Tamron-Nikon lenses weren't simply rebadged Tamrons, but depending on lens, had different weather seals, AF motors and lens coatings to the Tamron equivalents.

If this is to be believed, the just announced 70-180 F2.8 G2 Tamron for the Sony E-mount has been developed, manufactured and sold under license from Nikon. Does this suggest that Nikon have designed this G2 version, or is it just a simple commercial deal: Nikon get their low cost lens but part of the deal is that Tamron can still sell it in a Sony mount..

thanks i will try. but is it really good for most of the photograhger ? im not sure . seem not flexible enough ?
It's what I use to instantly switch between general photography settings (aperture priority, 3D focus, etc), and more demanding photography (manual mode, custom wide area); I have my AF-On button set to recall settings-hold.

I don't use the settings banks... I just don't change that many settings for different situations. For me it's better, and just as easy, to make the changes directly. But a lot of others do use the memory banks to good effect; and I can see it being a good option for you. It's less convenient because it's down in the menus, but switching in/out of flash use isn't usually an immediate hurry kind of thing.

It's what I use to instantly switch between general photography settings (aperture priority, 3D focus, etc), and more demanding photography (manual mode, custom wide area); I have my AF-On button set to recall settings-hold.

I don't use the settings banks... I just don't change that many settings for different situations. For me it's better, and just as easy, to make the changes directly. But a lot of others do use the memory banks to good effect; and I can see it being a good option for you. It's less convenient because it's down in the menus, but switching in/out of flash use isn't usually an immediate hurry kind of thing.
I have a function button set up for the shooting menu banks and switch them using a command dial and the menu bank indicator on the top LCD. This is with a D500, but I assume there is a menu bank icon on the Z8. Maybe not, of course.

Just slide it forward until it balances... might need to get a longer plate and mount it so it extends towards the body. And probably mount it so the gimbal upright is on the left side. It might end up blocking the focus mode button and battery release, but that's better than blocking the shooting hand.
It seems that this issue is pushing more back towards pan/tilt heads... a lot are switching over to video heads with counterbalance, which is what we used to use 30 yrs ago.

If you use the auto capture function, or the MC-N10 remote, you are likely to want a second battery. And if you shoot really heavy for extended time or set the standby time higher. But for most things an external pack is a viable solution; plus it can be used to recharge the on-board battery.

I have the SmallRig L-bracket... it's fine, but not great. I haven't even used it yet.

It took me quite a while to decide how I set all of the options. I do not change them for different situations; it can be confusing enough as it is. And I don't set a bunch of them to different focus modes like most suggest... for me there are better things to be doing with my thumb and the other buttons. I have the primary focus mode on the shutter release (set by situation/subject); and I have my backup focus mode (typically custom wide area) set on the AF-ON, along with a bunch of other settings (recall settings- hold).
Thanks Steven.

It really is an unusual position to be in, using the long plate that came with the Gitzo gimbal means I can just about get it to balance but then it has to go on the left which is awkward. The Gitzo having more drag than a Wimberley actually comes in useful here, if I want it on the right, it has to be unbalanced but the drag means that it doesn't fall quickly. Maybe I should have bought the Z8 instead!

Can't see myself using auto capture that much or very heavy use so good to know and I think I will stick with the one battery for now, the external pack I have is very good and hardly used so it makes a lot of sense.

Finally getting out with it next week, so looking forward to getting it set up in a way that works for me, there's a hack of a lot to learn!

Thanks Steven.

It really is an unusual position to be in, using the long plate that came with the Gitzo gimbal means I can just about get it to balance but then it has to go on the left which is awkward. The Gitzo having more drag than a Wimberley actually comes in useful here, if I want it on the right, it has to be unbalanced but the drag means that it doesn't fall quickly. Maybe I should have bought the Z8 instead!

Can't see myself using auto capture that much or very heavy use so good to know and I think I will stick with the one battery for now, the external pack I have is very good and hardly used so it makes a lot of sense.

Finally getting out with it next week, so looking forward to getting it set up in a way that works for me, there's a hack of a lot to learn!
You can get a bit different ergonomics/balance if you invert the gimbal cradle and hang the lens from the tripod foot instead... it's a bit tricky getting it mounted that way, and probably a little riskier; but it might help a little.

No sooner have I reinvested in Nikon Z9 and Nikon decide to release the Df replacement which is called the Zf.
If if looks like a Fuji XT1/2/3/4/5 then this is no surprise as in my opinion the Fuji XT cameras have the best ergonomics.

Here is the images from NikonRumors.com

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 28
No sooner have I reinvested in Nikon Z9 and Nikon decide to release the Df replacement which is called the Zf.
If if looks like a Fuji XT1/2/3/4/5 then this is no surprise as in my opinion the Fuji XT cameras have the best ergonomics.

Bugger. Something else to lust after…

I have a horrible feeling this is going to be just a full frame Zfc in all it’s flimsy plasticy glory :( it really needs to be a full frame fuji camera rather than a low weight, cheap feeling tiny body.

I have a horrible feeling this is going to be just a full frame Zfc in all it’s flimsy plasticy glory :( it really needs to be a full frame fuji camera rather than a low weight, cheap feeling tiny body.
Rumours say it is better built.
It also needs to offer something more than the 21MP of the Zfc.
Not use if 45MP is required but 30MP is OK like my D800 however we need to wait for the reality rather than the rumours!

Rumours say it is better built.
It also needs to offer something more than the 21MP of the Zfc.
Not use if 45MP is required but 30MP is OK like my D800 however we need to wait for the reality rather than the rumours!
Honestly for me it has to have several things

* has to have the z8/9 af
*better build quality than the Zfc, along with a bit more weight.
*Ibis
*An A position on the iso dial as that was a serious omission.

I’m happy with anything from 24mp upwards to be honest.

I’d like shutterless but I can’t se that one happening.

Honestly for me it has to have several things

* has to have the z8/9 af
That would mean same sensor as the Z8/9 and so very expensive, whereas I would think that the cost (£$€2000) would drive it to be the Z7ii sensor.
*better build quality than the Zfc, along with a bit more weight.
Yes that is a must.
*Ibis
*An A position on the iso dial as that was a serious omission.
Yes please!
IBIS and A is a must for a modern camera.
I’m happy with anything from 24mp upwards to be honest.

I’d like shutterless but I can’t se that one happening.
Still trying to understand the implications of shutterless. Not used the Z9 in studio yet so I cant really comment.

Looks like Z6II technology in a retro styled body with a few altered/updated specs.

ZFC is a fun camera but build quality isn’t particularly nice a little too plasticky. Full frame ZF needs to be significantly better built & a little larger & with IBIS & 45MP sensor.

That would then pique my interest.

Just returned to Nikon as I want to pick bird photography back up. Been using a Panasonic S1R for a few years after dropping my D850 & D500 and 200-500 f5.6 lens.

I have bought the Z8 with the kit 24-120mm f4 lens and from a initial quick play the lens seems better than the old 24-120 AFS lens I had with my old D750& D810.

Also, bought the 400mm f4.5 and 1.4 TC...Cant believe how light this 400mm lens is, was going to buy the 180-600mm zoom lens but Wex had said to me that I would be a the back of the que and would unlikely to receive the zoom this year.

I always shoot in manual mode any hacks or tips I need to know with this camera over the D850 ?? Thanks in advance for any advise.

I have the same combination but came from a D750 and Z7.
Learning how to set up and use 3D tracking has been the best thing, that and the v. quick autofocus and frame rate (I shoot normally at 15 f/s).
One small thing I like is how you can vary the shutter volume. Near silent for me - just enough for me to hear it and no one else.

Just returned to Nikon as I want to pick bird photography back up. Been using a Panasonic S1R for a few years after dropping my D850 & D500 and 200-500 f5.6 lens.

I have bought the Z8 with the kit 24-120mm f4 lens and from a initial quick play the lens seems better than the old 24-120 AFS lens I had with my old D750& D810.

Also, bought the 400mm f4.5 and 1.4 TC...Cant believe how light this 400mm lens is, was going to buy the 180-600mm zoom lens but Wex had said to me that I would be a the back of the que and would unlikely to receive the zoom this year.

I always shoot in manual mode any hacks or tips I need to know with this camera over the D850 ?? Thanks in advance for any advise.
I'd watch steve perry's video on setting up the 3d tracking on the front fn button, works a treat.

What did you think about the S1R? IQ wise, handling etc?

What did you think about the S1R? IQ wise, handling etc?
After I dropped my D500 & D850, I decided to give mirrorless a go again, (my last mirrorless cameras I had were the Fuji Xpro Xt2)....I bought the Panasonic S5 and lenses and after a couple of weeks I sold them as I have arthritic hands and found the camera too small for my large hands.

I then tried the S1R and have been using it for a couple of years and found the camera excellent for IQ and comfort. I had it paired with the Sigma Art 24-70mm f2.8 and Sigma 100-400mm lenses and found the combo good but the camera is a lump and it's like the size of the D850. I tried some other Panasonic lenses, 24-105mm f4 which came as kit lens, 16-35mm f4 and 85mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 lenses and I didn't rate the native lenses for my use. I preferred the Sigma ones. In my short trails the Nikon Z 24-120mm is far better than the Panasonic kit lens.

I was at a cross roads what to do with theS1R, buy the Sigma 150mm -600mm lens to give me the reach I was looking for or change systems. Thinking about it, the S1 was never going to sort out the blackout with the EVF which was the biggest bugbear for me with the camera for some wildlife photography. After trying Sony A7RV (didn't try the S1)and the Z8 & Z9 I decided to settle on the Z8. Never been a fan of grips so the Z9 wasn't really going to cut it for me.

I've been off the forum for a while and if IIRC your main interests are landscape photography and IMO the SR1 excels at that genre, for the price of them and the returns process of some shops it maybe worth a trial for you.. I believe the camera shares the same sensor as some of the Leica cameras and if you like the output from them the S1R may suit your needs.

Hope the above helps.

So as I'm going on holiday and probably don't need the Z8 I decided it was time to send it in for the service advisories. So all boxed up and it says UPS will collect in the next 3 days.

Struggling with lens choices / GAS... Any thoughts / advice welcome

I've got a Z7 and a Z5 full spectrum. I bought the Z5 to convert to full spectrum, with the 24-200 kit lens, with the expectation that this lens would basically sit on my Z5 as a vaguely decent quality, general purpose lens to shoot infrared with. Only problem is, as I found when I first tried it, it hotspots really badly in infrared.

I also bought the 24-70 F4 to act as my better quality lens to use on my normal colour Z7. However due to the hotspotting problem above, I've ended up using the 24-70 on my Z5 where it works perfectly, and my 24-200 on my Z7. It feels a bit like I'm using my better quality lens on the wrong camera!

Amazon were doing the 24-120 F4 for £909 (it's now £899) so I thought I'd try it out to see whether that hotspots on my Z5 with the option of easily returning it. Alas it does hotspot at the wider zoom end, but it also does feel like a good quality lens and I see the reviews are good. Now weighing up whether to keep this and sell my 24-200, or keep the 24-200 and return the 24-120. I've also seen a Z 70-200 F2.8 at a very good price which throws another option in the mix all within £600 or so of each other.

I haven't considered holy trinity F2.8s really as I shoot landscapes. I did have 2 of the F2.8 trinity for my D810 / D7100 IR combo (and they worked great in infrared) but typically have now sold those (though still have my FTZ). I also understand the F2.8 Z lenses dont work well in infrared either (though dunno about the non S cheaper / Tamron F2.8s - maybe one to try out one day), so whatever I do now, it's for the Z7 only

So it's kind of between my existing Z 24-200, the Z 24-120, or a Z 70-200 F2.8 - but just for my Z7. If they worked well in infrared on the Z5, it would be a no brainer, but I do I feel like I'm struggling to justify a this. I (money isn't so much the issue, but I'm lazy and like superzooms so I don't have to change lenses. But also conscious of the quality / utility trade off here...)

(for completeness, also got the 14-30 F4, the 100-400 (both great in IR), 2x tele and an FTZ)

Struggling with lens choices / GAS... Any thoughts / advice welcome

I've got a Z7 and a Z5 full spectrum. I bought the Z5 to convert to full spectrum, with the 24-200 kit lens, with the expectation that this lens would basically sit on my Z5 as a vaguely decent quality, general purpose lens to shoot infrared with. Only problem is, as I found when I first tried it, it hotspots really badly in infrared.

I also bought the 24-70 F4 to act as my better quality lens to use on my normal colour Z7. However due to the hotspotting problem above, I've ended up using the 24-70 on my Z5 where it works perfectly, and my 24-200 on my Z7. It feels a bit like I'm using my better quality lens on the wrong camera!

Amazon were doing the 24-120 F4 for £909 (it's now £899) so I thought I'd try it out to see whether that hotspots on my Z5 with the option of easily returning it. Alas it does hotspot at the wider zoom end, but it also does feel like a good quality lens and I see the reviews are good. Now weighing up whether to keep this and sell my 24-200, or keep the 24-200 and return the 24-120. I've also seen a Z 70-200 F2.8 at a very good price which throws another option in the mix all within £600 or so of each other.

I haven't considered holy trinity F2.8s really as I shoot landscapes. I did have 2 of the F2.8 trinity for my D810 / D7100 IR combo (and they worked great in infrared) but typically have now sold those (though still have my FTZ). I also understand the F2.8 Z lenses dont work well in infrared either (though dunno about the non S cheaper / Tamron F2.8s - maybe one to try out one day), so whatever I do now, it's for the Z7 only

So it's kind of between my existing Z 24-200, the Z 24-120, or a Z 70-200 F2.8 - but just for my Z7. If they worked well in infrared on the Z5, it would be a no brainer, but I do I feel like I'm struggling to justify a this. I (money isn't so much the issue, but I'm lazy and like superzooms so I don't have to change lenses. But also conscious of the quality / utility trade off here...)

(for completeness, also got the 14-30 F4, the 100-400 (both great in IR), 2x tele and an FTZ)
Keep the 24-70 on the Z5, sell the 24-120 and 24-200 and buy the 70-200 and another 24-70 for the Z7.

Keep the 24-70 on the Z5, sell the 24-120 and 24-200 and buy the 70-200 and another 24-70 for the Z7.
2 of the same lens? Not something I'd considered, but..... an interesting idea...! Especially given the price of the 24-70! Is that more to enable the purchase of the 70-200?

(Honestly kicking myself now for being so keen to get rid of my F lenses)

Last edited:
2 of the same lens? Not something I'd considered, but..... an interesting idea...! Especially given the price of the 24-70! Is that more to enable the purchase of the 70-200?

(Honestly kicking myself now for being so keen to get rid of my F lenses)
If the 24-70 works best on the Z5, and you take both cameras out with you (and don’t want to swap lenses constantly) then have one copy permanently on that camera. For the Z7, you have two high quality lenses that cover the 24-200 range with no overlap. You could of course just keep the 24-200 but if you prefer the image quality from the 24-70 and like a constant aperture lens then having two lenses would make sense. And the second hand price of the 24-70 is ridiculously low for its quality! But I recognise that having two of the same lens would seem a bit odd!

As an aside, I have all three of the 24mm zooms, having recently bought the 24-200 for a big holiday next year. I’ve just taken it away on holiday this year and it’s a decent lens, not in the same league as the 24-120 but good enough and the zoom range and weight are better than the 24-120. Not sure I’ll keep it beyond next years holiday but it’s a useful lens for sure.

UPS man came today. Waved goodbye to the Z8. Since I've boxed up the Z6ii and advertised it for sale it looks like I'm now shooting on a Z30 :grumpy:

Back