Nikon Z* mirrorless

So update, my Z8 is being delivered back to me tomorrow, so currently really quick turn around on the service.

Oh and was it someone on here that gazzumped me on the 400/2.8 on ebay just now? :LOL:

That's good news and a quick turnaround. I'm waiting on a return label from UPS.

I need to send mine in but I'm going on holiday mid-September and need it back beforehand.
How long did it take for Nikon to arrange collection after you logged request on their site?

I need to send mine in but I'm going on holiday mid-September and need it back beforehand.
How long did it take for Nikon to arrange collection after you logged request on their site?
I logged the Request on monday morning, got the shipping label and told UPS woudl be collecting within 3 days, UPS turned up Tuesday morning, and it's returning to me tomorrow. So 5 days total turn around.

So update, my Z8 is being delivered back to me tomorrow, so currently really quick turn around on the service.

Oh and was it someone on here that gazzumped me on the 400/2.8 on ebay just now? :LOL:
Which model of 400mm f/2.8 you looking for? There was a few FL's on which had the price dropped on them recently. Considering what they cost new they are bargains and I love my FL.

Which model of 400mm f/2.8 you looking for? There was a few FL's on which had the price dropped on them recently. Considering what they cost new they are bargains and I love my FL.

The one I was bidding on was a Z400/2.8TC. Was far too cheap, and without box/case etc so didn't put a high bid on it and someone else put a bid the same as my high limit on it a few seconds before the end.

I have the 400/4.5 but have always wanted a 2.8 for the extra light.

Z8 just got dropped back off with me. Came in a nice Nikon branded protective wrap, sadly reset to defaults and I forgot to save my settings grrr

The one I was bidding on was a Z400/2.8TC. Was far too cheap, and without box/case etc so didn't put a high bid on it and someone else put a bid the same as my high limit on it a few seconds before the end.

Ah right. I've never looked for the Z version as I had to sell a kidney to buy the FL. I always keep my eyes open on eBay for the FL's to see what they go for now just in case I decided to sell but that's not going happen now. Unless I win the lottery the Z version will have to wait.

Ah right. I've never looked for the Z version as I had to sell a kidney to buy the FL. I always keep my eyes open on eBay for the FL's to see what they go for now just in case I decided to sell but that's not going happen now. Unless I win the lottery the Z version will have to wait.
The 400/2.8 is otherworldly for the little I have used one, but so is the price tag. Im interested in the 400/4.5 but still debating on should I go wide or long

It was a dodgy listing.

I can't lie - I've been looking at the latest offering from Nikon, and the stacked sensors and all - and I do miss my excitement with shooting Nikon!!

Interesting. It was relisted and I got replies to all my questions when I asked. I wasn’t sure but with PayPal and credit card cover I was prepared to give it a go but then someone else nodded so I left it.
Did you ask.
Where did you buy it?
Why are you selling it?
Do you have the original receipt?

They could take that lens into a shop and 10K for it.

Interesting. It was relisted and I got replies to all my questions when I asked. I wasn’t sure but with PayPal and credit card cover I was prepared to give it a go but then someone else nodded so I left it.
If it's too good to be true it often is

Did you ask.
Where did you buy it?
Why are you selling it?
Do you have the original receipt?

They could take that lens into a shop and 10K for it.
A mint condition FL 400mm will sell for £7k so the Z version for the same price? Very dodgy listing that.

Well I dropped my to be "repaired" Z8 off at the UPS collection point on Friday morning.
Because of bank holiday it was delivered yesterday morning.
The "repair" has now been completed and the camera is with UPS, to be delivered Friday am.

So one week from start to finish, including one day out for bank holiday.

Well I dropped my to be "repaired" Z8 off at the UPS collection point on Friday morning.
The "repair" has now been completed and the camera is with UPS, to be delivered Friday am.

Good service.

That's quicker than mine. Likewise, Friday dropped off, they got the camera yesterday, (weekend & Bank Holiday) and its on the way back to me as we speak but scheduled for Monday delivery. I'm in NE Scotland. Whereabout are you, Peter?

UPS brought my delivery forward by a day so I now have the Z8 back in hand.
Settings were not altered.

Turnaround time 6 days including 2 days out for a weekend and one day out for bank holiday.

I now know who bought the lens, he posted his first pic of it out on the moors today, so turns out it was genuine and he got a fantastic bargain

I now know who bought the lens, he posted his first pic of it out on the moors today, so turns out it was genuine and he got a fantastic bargain
Yeah I was pretty sure it was genuine, but I had a financial limit which the new owner matched so I missed it :) Shame but there we go

Sold my 400mm f2.8 AFS F mount when I got the Z9, but I got a 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 Z mount which works well.
The f2.8 was a fine lens but freaking heavy! Decided the ISO button was easier than a weightlifting course or hernia repair!

Are the rubbery grips on Nikon's mirrorless cameras and lenses as utterly s***e as they are on their DSLRs?

Or is it just something my hands exude that makes them either expand or fall off? :LOL:

Over all the years I've owned Nikon DSLR's or Mirrorless cameras/lenses. I've never had a problem with the rubber. If you have particularly sweaty hands, then over time I'm sure it'd have an effect them.

Last edited:
Are the rubbery grips on Nikon's mirrorless cameras and lenses as utterly s***e as they are on their DSLRs?

Or is it just something my hands exude that makes them either expand or fall off? :LOL:
Never had a problem with the rubber peeling on my Nikons in 40+ years.
I do know other have had these problems so I think it is (your) hot sweaty hands.

Over all the years I've owned Nikon DSLR's or Mirrorless cameras/lenses. I've never had a problem with the rubber. If you have particularly sweaty hands, then over time I'm sure it'd have an effect them.
Never had a problem with the rubber peeling on my Nikons in 40+ years.
I do know other have had these problems so I think it is (your) hot sweaty hands.
So the answer is: The new rubbers are just as s***e! :LOL:

So the answer is: The new rubbers are just as s***e! :LOL:
I’ve never had an issue in 20 years of owning Nikons. Must be all the fresh country air at all these country shows you go to that’s affecting the rubber, they’ve been fine at all the rancid industrial sites that I wander round!

I’ve never had an issue in 20 years of owning Nikons. Must be all the fresh country air at all these country shows you go to that’s affecting the rubber, they’ve been fine at all the rancid industrial sites that I wander round!
Must be my sweat. Although another Nikonite I know has the same problem. I've owned other brands and they haven't been a problem, nor has my Nikon compact. Thank goodness for gaffer tape!

The zoom ring on my 70-200 is all wonky. That's the only bit of funny rubber I have, but it is the most used bit.

I live in the Southeast of France, very warm and humid here in the Summer as you may know/guess, Iv`e never had a problem with my rubber grips and I often carry mine for a couple of hours if I`m doing Macro.

Back