weekly OAMPHOTOGRAPHY - 52/26 - 2013 - WILD (UPDATE 02/02)

Name
Ollie
Edit My Images
Yes
I WILL do this. Couple of weeks behind already but I hope to catch up quick :D

I'm playing by these rules:

1) New photos will be taken each week specifically for the theme and only 1 photo will be selected as the shot for the week. This forces me to get out there take photos and pick the image I like best.

2) I may show other shots taken in the week but if I do I will explain why I selected the shot that I did.

3) I will share what I have learned each week and how I might approach it differently next time (or if I had more time)

RESHOOT cards – there are 5 RESHOOT cards that have been added to the bag and if one of these is pulled in a week a second card will also be drawn with a theme as normal, in this case I would RESHOOT a theme and shoot the new theme.

Please connect with me, follow, like etc; I will return the favour.

@oamphotography
http://www.facebook.com/oliver.matthews.7547?ref=tn_tnmn
http://omatthewsphotography.tumblr.com/
http://olliematthewsphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Week 1: Sin
Week 2: Season
Week 3: Gravity
Week 4: Wild
Week 1 : Sin
Week 2 : Season
Week 3 : Gravity
Week 4 : Wild
Week 5 : Space
Week 6 : Work
Week 7 : Gluttony
Week 8 : Time
Week 9 : Juxtaposition
Week 10 : Letter
Week 11 : Electric
Week 12 : Direction
Week 13 : Tacky
Week 14 : Value
Week 15 : Greed
Week 16 : Angles
Week 17 : Rustic
Week 18 : Kind
Week 19 : Reshoot and Vertical
Week 20 : Pattern
Week 21 : Movement
Week 22 : Below
Week 23 : Size
Week 24 : Process
Week 25 : Rock
Week 26 : Pair
Week 27 : Reshoot and Shape
Week 28 : Plenty
Week 29 : Speed
Week 30:
Week 31:
Week 32:
Week 33:
Week 34:
Week 35:
Week 36:
Week 37:
Week 38:
Week 39:
Week 40:
Week 41:
Week 42:
Week 43:
Week 44:
Week 45:
Week 46:
Week 47:
Week 48:
Week 49:
Week 50:
Week 51:
Week 52:

Last edited:
Hi Ollie & welcome to the 52's :wave:

On theme or not that is one gorgeous collie....you couldn't possibly tell her off when she's lookin at you like that :clap:

Great focus on the eye's(y)

as you say not the strongest connection but a great photo of your dog

This would make a nice portrait of family pet. makes you want her yourself.

Hi, Ollie, like Season. Nice and sharper. Cracking eye contact. Slight smile. Good detail in the snow. Any with here on the left?

Probably by iPad.. the snow looks fine but she looks a tad yellow :thinking:

Cheers.

Hi, Ollie, like Season. Nice and sharper. Cracking eye contact. Slight smile. Good detail in the snow. Any with here on the left?

Probably by iPad.. the snow looks fine but she looks a tad yellow :thinking:

Cheers.

Thanks. Do you mean you don't like the 'negative space' on the left?
On one monitor it looked a tad yellow, and on the other a tad blue (I calibrated them to the best of my ability). Budget monitors and laptops are useless!

Here's some re-edits with a quick addition of a photofilter on photoshop. Anyone got a nice calibrated monitor?

"Season" Neutral by oamphotography, on Flickr

"Season" Blue by oamphotography, on Flickr
I think I might actually prefer the blue hue, looks more suited to the scene?

Prefer the first, the non-blue edit. Poor lass looks frozen with a blue filter! :)

As said though, lovely shot! Lovely expression!

Prefer the first, the non-blue edit. Poor lass looks frozen with a blue filter! :)

As said though, lovely shot! Lovely expression!
Glad you like it :)
Yeah. It wa just the cars around he head. On second thoughts. I think ,oving her would obscure the type tracks in the snow, which I like :thinking:

Cheers.

Yeh, I really wish I took a straight shot down the parking lot so that I could have cropped the cars out:bonk:... I could fiddle with it in pp but I don't think it would be worth it? Hadn't actually paid any attention to the tire tracks until now, but I agree haha.

The first edited version looks better on my monitor I am using an imac really nice pic, there is a bit of snow on her mouth that is slightly distracting but that is really being picky. its a very natural portrait :clap:

The first edited version looks better on my monitor I am using an imac really nice pic, there is a bit of snow on her mouth that is slightly distracting but that is really being picky. its a very natural portrait :clap:
Cool, hopefully my bodged calibration isn't too bad then! Hmm I kinda see what you mean about that bit of snow, lips should be in full view.
Hi Ollie :)

Season - Yep... a lovely shot, I'd prefer a tighter crop and a slight straighten & clone the snow obscuring her lips, not sure if it is wonky, just feels like it to me... great eyes and natural expression - Nice One (y)

Started having a go at this now... Yeh, I think it was just the way she was standing. Will finish the cloning tomorrow and post it (y)

Cheesy feet said:
Thanks. Do you mean you don't like the 'negative space' on the left?
On one monitor it looked a tad yellow, and on the other a tad blue (I calibrated them to the best of my ability). Budget monitors and laptops are useless!

Here's some re-edits with a quick addition of a photofilter on photoshop. Anyone got a nice calibrated monitor?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oamphotography-com/8384018617/
"Season" Neutral by oamphotography, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oamphotography-com/8384020187/
"Season" Blue by oamphotography, on Flickr
I think I might actually prefer the blue hue, looks more suited to the scene?

Love this shot! I would say the first edit seems better tome, the last one looks a bit blue

I might be tempted to clone out the snowflake covering her lips though....

I wish my wintry attempts were as inspiring!

Love this shot! I would say the first edit seems better tome, the last one looks a bit blue

I might be tempted to clone out the snowflake covering her lips though....

I wish my wintry attempts were as inspiring!

Thanks. The snowflake shall be gone soon!..
Ahhh it gives me a warm feelin' when people like my photos, it does.

I like it
Agree about the snow on lips, but thats not a big deal. Makes it authentic if nothing else

lovely portrait, looks freezing!.. agree about the snowflake covering her lip.. doesn't detract too much though really.. prefer the tones on the first image on post #15

The Border Collie shot may be a weakish link but it's a lovely shot of a beautiful dog :love: maybe get a little lower angle next time.

The first edit for the WB adj for me and agree with removing the flakes from in front of her face. Also the ear phones are a little distracting but it's still a very nice portrait.

Sin - although the sin is you letting him on the sofa with muddy paws I am not keen on those being more in focus than his eyes which are very appealing.

Season - she does look a bit chilly, again her eyes do not look quite as much in focus as her jumper but I imagine she did not want to hang around too long while you took pictures :)

Nice image Ollie. My only comment would be that my eye is drawn to the darker OOF area on the left hand side, maybe you could have cropped that out.

Other than that - well done (y)

Excellent portrait although agree that the blue filter on the edit makes the poor lass look freezing. The colours from the bag strap give a nice contrast to the green jacket and I would have reduced the while to the left a little. Very inspiring shot, very well done!

I like it
Agree about the snow on lips, but thats not a big deal. Makes it authentic if nothing else
:) I perhaps should have fired a few more off to get the perfect shot.

lovely portrait, looks freezing!.. agree about the snowflake covering her lip.. doesn't detract too much though really.. prefer the tones on the first image on post #15
Ah, that's the one that looked about neutral WB on my screen.
The Border Collie shot may be a weakish link but it's a lovely shot of a beautiful dog :love: maybe get a little lower angle next time.

The first edit for the WB adj for me and agree with removing the flakes from in front of her face. Also the ear phones are a little distracting but it's still a very nice portrait.
Thanks, yeh I need to get to clone stamping, started doing it yesterday but wasn't happy with it.
Sin - although the sin is you letting him on the sofa with muddy paws I am not keen on those being more in focus than his eyes which are very appealing.

Season - she does look a bit chilly, again her eyes do not look quite as much in focus as her jumper but I imagine she did not want to hang around too long while you took pictures :)
Her eyes are actually more in focus than her paws and indeed the main focal point, maybe viewing small you can't see this though. :)
Yeh I think my 50mm f/1.4 got a little misted up/wet as it wasn't as sharp all round, coupled with just missing her eyes it's noticeable.

I think everything i would have said has already been mentioned! I think number 1 is my fav! Good shot.
Liking both of those edits, that bit if snow on the lip is annoying though.. It's a lovely pic and I agree it should snow more often!
TOMORROW TOMORROW!
Excellent portrait although agree that the blue filter on the edit makes the poor lass look freezing. The colours from the bag strap give a nice contrast to the green jacket and I would have reduced the while to the left a little. Very inspiring shot, very well done!
Thank you for the useful critique all :) I'll get to giving that shot another crop and some clone stamping!.. In the mean time:

"Sin" 2.0 by oamphotography, on Flickr
Testing out a cheapo LED ring light; it's pretty decent. One of the most common sins in our house seems to be the washing up being left to the, well, past the last minute... I started actually washing up, realized this, and piled everything in for the photo!

Last edited:
Lovely facial expression captured on week 1, must make it very difficult to shout at her. I quite like the blue edit for 'season' makes her look freezing, nice shot.

Lovely portrait but the snow on the lip and near the eye do detract a bit. I also like your sin entry, the plain black background works well.

Lovely shot - prefer the original colour balance, might be tempted to clone out the snow on her lip.

Lovely facial expression captured on week 1, must make it very difficult to shout at her. I quite like the blue edit for 'season' makes her look freezing, nice shot.
I didn't realize she had her headphones in! But she was more than happy to oblige :)

hi Ollie

love your shot for Season....gonna be different to the rest I think & say #2 for me...just seems a little more natural (y)
Thanks...The "neutral" one?

Lovely portrait but the snow on the lip and near the eye do detract a bit. I also like your sin entry, the plain black background works well.
Thanks, not the nicest of subjects but oh well :LOL:

Lovely shot - prefer the original colour balance, might be tempted to clone out the snow on her lip.
Interesting, I think perhaps the more yellow temperature is more flattering to her?

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys :D

I have revisited "Season" again. I think I'm losing a bit too much IQ, the slightly off focus being more noticeable... it could perhaps do with a slight noise reduction; at this point I don't really think it will add anything to the image though.:shrug:

-cropped
-clone stamped
-neutral wb

"Season" by oamphotography, on Flickr

I'm thinking Water/Liquids for "gravity" in order to make use of my flashguns!

I'm also posting on Dyxum, and have said that members can give me one theme each week on top of the ones drawn out the hat here; it should keep me on my toes!

For the "Weather" theme nomination:

Flashguns are fun by oamphotography, on Flickr

It wasn't planned, but I was fiddling with my flashguns the other night in the snow. I only fired a few shots off with me in front of the lens, just to see what it would look like, but I think I quite like the image! I have lots of others, I just need time to sort them.

Last edited:
I much prefer the shot with the lip cloned. I really like your weather shot too - interesting processing and lots to look at in the frame.

Phil

The snowflake on lip didn't really bother me, but I do like the edit.

The washing up looks almost 3D.

SP is decent as well. Very realistic and contrasty.

Cheers.

I much prefer the shot with the lip cloned. I really like your weather shot too - interesting processing and lots to look at in the frame.

Phil
Thanks, it took me a few attempts to get the cloning to a level I was kind of happy with. I ended up using the "patch" tool as well.
The snowflake on lip didn't really bother me, but I do like the edit.

The washing up looks almost 3D.

SP is decent as well. Very realistic and contrasty.

Cheers.
Thanks :) Hopefully it will snow again this year so I can get out there and give it another go with my flashguns, paying more careful attention to composition etc.

Back