weekly OAMPHOTOGRAPHY - 52/26 - 2013 - WILD (UPDATE 02/02)

Wow, Saturday came by fast. Not wanting to get behind another week I made sure to act on my "Ice and Hammer" idea today. Many takes and some heavy pp has led to where I am with this shot; but I still think it can be done much, much better... I've already put more ice in the freezer for a retake:LOL:

"Gravity" - 52 week challenge by oamphotography, on Flickr

"Gravity" - 52 week challenge by oamphotography, on Flickr
Tasks for next week:

- Reshoot "Ice and Hammer". Bigger, better, food colouring in the ice.
- Edit photos from a portrait session and other good shots from this weeks Ice shoot.
- Catch up with my other themes so that I'm actually doing a week 26
- Revisit photos from an old portrait/graffiti session

Last edited:
Hi Ollie

thats a great Sp...really contrasty & works well :)

gravity.... think I'm prefering the closer version....very " gritty" pp which suits ,good detail & well lit without any blown bits....nice work mister (y)

Nice shots! You get a real sense of the movement / impact in them - nice work! I'd like to see more detail (tighter crop?) on the ice if I was to give any crit! Really nice idea!

Hi Ollie

thats a great Sp...really contrasty & works well :)

gravity.... think I'm prefering the closer version....very " gritty" pp which suits ,good detail & well lit without any blown bits....nice work mister (y)
Thanks dude :cool:

I think I prefer the closer crop too (both are crops)
#1 for me. Really dynamic and cracking detail.

I'd like to see a bit less light on the ice on the surface.

Cheers.
I brightened up the ice and made it look blue-y, trying to go for maximum contrast for maximum impact kind of thing... Some patches do look very white, but none are actually blown. I think if I shined the ice beforehand some of it would have been more see-through, maybe showing inner cracks off better. Here's a different take on another shot from yesterday:

"Gravity" - 2 - 52 week challenge by oamphotography, on Flickr

Nice shots! You get a real sense of the movement / impact in them - nice work! I'd like to see more detail (tighter crop?) on the ice if I was to give any crit! Really nice idea!
I actually managed to hit my 50mm f 1/.4 prime (without a filter I may add) twice with ice during this shoot, I think I should distance myself from the action more and use my telephoto; I could then get closer for even greater detail!

I really need to make/buy a trigger mechanism too, all of these were taken with my Sony a33 on a 2 sec delay, so I missed a fair few times.:LOL:

Thank you for the useful crit all :)

Love your interpretation of gravity, has to be the first image for me with the particles of ice flying high into the image.

Season: An excellent composition, fabulous use of flashguns and well in theme. Gravity also agree no.1 stands out, more impact from the hammer showing the particles of ice shattering. Good job.

Really like all three shots, cant really pick out a single one as best! They all keep me fixated!

Thanks :) I'm unsure if I prefer this one in colour, or if my brown hand is too much of a distraction.

"Gravity" (colour) - 2 - 52 week challenge by oamphotography, on Flickr

And here's a bit of a chaotic one from the same shoot:

Hammer on Ice 3 by oamphotography, on Flickr

Didn't have chance to have another go tonight, although I now have plenty of ice in the freezer ready!

Really great motion in all of those gravity images. the first one still works best for me though, the crop works better than the tighter ones.

I love that last one, really gives a sense of explosiveness :)
Cheers, I wasn't sure about it. Without the vignette my eye had too much to look at.

Really great motion in all of those gravity images. the first one still works best for me though, the crop works better than the tighter ones.
Thanks, yeh I prefer the first one(s) too I think :)

With this weeks theme "wild" I wanted to avoid the cliche shot of a seagull or bird in flight, however I did plan to take a landscape at dawn/dusk outside the back of my house on the flooded field (with birds in view), but when I went out there all the birds wanted to stay on the other side! Wasn't particularly enthusiastic about it anyway (wires always in view) so I didn't bother.

I did a brainstorm for some other ideas too, but didn't get round to executing them.

So I've kind of cheated and opted for a photo from the portrait session, JUST so I have something to post in the time limit. Kinda fitting I think though.

"Wild" 52 week challenge by oamphotography, on Flickr

Hi Ollie

This was a real surprise after your awesome gravity and season shots.

The girl here would never strike me as "Wild" cheeky playful but not wild.

Guess your superb gravity took your attention away for wild.

I am sure you can create something special for space, because you are clearly very talented.

Hi Ollie

This was a real surprise after your awesome gravity and season shots.

The girl here would never strike me as "Wild" cheeky playful but not wild.

Guess your superb gravity took your attention away for wild.

I am sure you can create something special for space, because you are clearly very talented.

Indeed, I still have some more ice ones to edit and some more ice to smash! Thanks a lot, I hope so:)

I find the picture rail or whatever it is in the background a tad distracting, but I like this shot whether or not its deemed a good take on the theme or not. The vivid colours and contrast I think works really well (y)

for some reason seem to have missed your last couple, the ice shots are really good :clap: really like the wild pic too i think it fits too (y)

I find the picture rail or whatever it is in the background a tad distracting, but I like this shot whether or not its deemed a good take on the theme or not. The vivid colours and contrast I think works really well (y)

for some reason seem to have missed your last couple, the ice shots are really good :clap: really like the wild pic too i think it fits too (y)
Cheers
Gravity - Very good take on the theme, I like the colour version the best, the last is good but the 'Tesco' on the hammer spoils it for me

Wild - I bet she could be, but this doesn't come across as wild, agree about the dado too, but a nice image all the same :)
Thanks, it didn't cross my mind about 'Tesco' on the hammer, but now that you mention it!

Wild shot is a good shot, but I think the wild element is necessarily that strong! Good shot all the same though!

isn't*? haha. Thanks (y)

Wild shot is very eye-catching, but the white rail is unfortunate. Also the vignette is a bit strong for the position of the head.

Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Quite like the processing. Doesn't scream Wild...just a bit more GGGggggggggrrr, maybe.

Cheers.

Wild shot is very eye-catching, but the white rail is unfortunate. Also the vignette is a bit strong for the position of the head.
Ahh this is something that bugged me in processing. At the time I hadn't figured out how to attach the ring light to my lens (durp), so I positioned it off to the side; the vignette is partly to disguise the uneven lighting... I wanted to go for a central crop on her face. Thanks :D
Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Quite like the processing. Doesn't scream Wild...just a bit more GGGggggggggrrr, maybe.

Cheers.
Thanks(y)
Hahaha, I see what you mean.
Hi ya

bit of an abstact comment to start with...I love her hair , looks so shiny & healthy :) Think all crit has been mentioned re the rail...maybe not wild but I it none the less
Hey, thanks :) Her shiny hair has nothing to do with my though :p

Struggling with motivation this week (in many things!). Settled on star trails. No car means I haven't been able to get to a decent location. Looked out earlier tonight to see if I could just get some practice shots but it's cloudy. All my other ideas are a bit uninspired. Still have photos to catch up and edit from other shoots. :bang:

Gravity.....some great shots there but the last one is the best for me except the TESCO on the hammer :bonk:

Wild........I take it that's a Wild Child, I like the framing and the hair over the face.

(y)

Gravity.....some great shots there but the last one is the best for me except the TESCO on the hammer :bonk:

Wild........I take it that's a Wild Child, I like the framing and the hair over the face.

(y)
Indeed! I now have a different plain hammer to try out :D Cheers
HI

Gravity - well captured shots there - original idea

Wild - plenty of c&c given, but again, original thought. Also I quite like the way that she is having a smiley wild time rather than the more usual snarly type.

Thanks dude :)

Back