overbez's 52 in 2023... Completed....

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I did this in 2013 and 2014! (So 9 years on from the last, a decade on from the first!).

My, how things have changed! A lot of names in here I don't recognize, I think I remember where my camera is, and I hope I remember how to use it!

I'll either fall at the first, or have smashed it a year from now! (Hopefully not somewhere in between).

I've just been looking through my old images and hopefully that will be enough motivation to kick-start 2023!

Week 1 - Your Area
Week 2 - Incomplete
Week 3 - Artificial
Week 4 - Transparent
Week 5 - Snapper's Choice
Week 6 - Knob
Week 7 - Letters
Week 8 - In The Kitchen
Week 9 - Broken
Week 10 - Full
Week 11 - Patterns
Week 12 - Tunnel
Week 13 - Spring
Week 14 & 15 - Smooth & Snapper's choice
Week 16 - Connected
Week 17 - Liquid
Week 18 & 19 - Distant & Fragile
Week 20, 21 & 22 - Robust, Nearby & Irregular
Week 23 - Rubbish
Week 24 - Sound
Week 25 - Snapper's Choice
Week 26 & 27 - Watching & Torn
Week 28 - Unsightly
Week 29 - Pretty
Week 30 & 31 - Windows & Abandoned
Weeks 32 to 35 - Possession, Machine, Circles & Snapper's Choice :confused:
Weeks 36 to 38 - Urban, Hollow & Solid
Week 39 - Gates
Week 40 - Memory
Weeks 41 to 44 - Upright, Forgotten, Spooky, Captive
Weeks 45 to 47 - Snapper's Chioce, Wall, Autumnal
Weeks 48 to 51 - Arrows, Wet, Old, Festive
Week 52 - Choice of the Year

Last edited:
Week 1 - Your Area
The Gurkha brigade were stationed in barracks in my local area, before these barracks were demolished for housing and green space. Within the housing estate a statue now stands on parade before the memorial orchard.

Week 1 - Your area by Graham, on Flickr

Link to unedited shot >> Week 1 SOOC <<

Last edited:
Welcome Back!!!
I spotted your thread links and had to go digging back through Dark Nights's old spreadsheets to get the details :)
Looking forward to seeing you get another complete year in this year.

Welcome Back!!!
I spotted your thread links and had to go digging back through Dark Nights's old spreadsheets to get the details :)
Looking forward to seeing you get another complete year in this year.

Thank-you. I noticed I was down as a new entrant. I didn't like to speak up given my 8 year hiatus!

Nicely done week 1 :)

Good to see you back didn't realise it was 8 years.
Nice start with a bit of local history

Good start, picture shows the detail and patina? Of the statue.

Never really looked at the 52s before but the story/history with a lot of the pictures is interesting

Nicely done week 1 :)

Still not sure if week 1 is the easiest or the hardest!! We shall see! Cheers.

Good to see you back didn't realise it was 8 years.
Nice start with a bit of local history

Hi Allan, lots happened in those 8 years. Boys now stand as tall as me and there's a new dog in the family. Here looks different, but seems strangely familiar already.

Nice bit of contrast with the scarf, looks good.

Yep, the scarf was a draw for me. Bit of movement from the wind, somehow I resisted the urge to go full selective colour on it!!

Good start, picture shows the detail and patina? Of the statue.

Never really looked at the 52s before but the story/history with a lot of the pictures is interesting

Cheers. Reading up there seems to have been a good deal of thought gone into the pose and expression of the soldier. Hope my image does him justice.

Nice shot Graham

Cheers Simon.

Last edited:
Hi all, I did this in 2013 and 2014! (So 9 years on from the last!).

My, how things have changed! A lot of names in here I don't recognize, I think I remember where my camera is, and I hope I remember how to use it!

I'll either fall at the first, or have smashed it a year from now! (Hopefully not somewhere in between,,).

I've just been looking through my old images and hopefully that will be enough motivation to kick-start 2023!

Week 1 - Your Area

Gosh, such a long time since you posted.
I hope that it gives you a deal of pleasure to be photoshooting again. (y)

Nice composition and dof. Good start to the year.

Thanks Helen, was my second attempt so had the composition in mind already. Shallow DOF from the 35mm f1.8 lens which I still like.

Gosh, such a long time since you posted.
I hope that it gives you a deal of pleasure to be photoshooting again. (y)

Thanks Alan, glad to see you still around here. It has been a long time indeed. I still have the same kit as I had 10 years ago - it all seems to still work though.
Take care!

That's a striking statue with the appearance of eye contact and a slightly quizzical smile, and the eye-catching red scarf. Good use of DOF and thanks for explaining the history and relevance to your local area. Good luck with your latest 52.

Thank-you Andrea, great critique, very much appreciated. The red scarf has some "Arabic" script on it so has presumably been added by a Nepalese local. I wanted the red to pop, so I just desaturated it less than I did the green of the grass behind.

Week 2 - Incomplete

This is part of a high pressure aviation fuel pipeline being laid from Southampton to Heathrow. It's being constructed from numerous compounds along the route and seemingly built in sections which all have to be connected up and dug into the ground.

Week 2 - Incomplete by Graham, on Flickr

Link to unedited shot >> Week 2 SOOC <<

This section is cutting across the racecourse and will be buried. There has been a lot of preparation, disruption and clearance along the route, but I believe the area will be completely reinstated afterwards.

Last edited:
Your area: I really like the composition and it’s good to hear the background story to the statue,

Incomplete: Perfectly on theme and works well in black and white.

I like Incomplete, immediately obvious but a nice photo.

Definitely incomplete and interesting background info. They put gas mains in around here about 30 years ago and the only sign of it now are the posts in the hedge where the mains pipe crosses a road, IIRC each weld was checked by X ray and story/rumour was a welder was allowed one failure then fired.

Nicely worked for the theme Graham, and the mono is good too!

Your area: I really like the composition and it’s good to hear the background story to the statue,

Incomplete: Perfectly on theme and works well in black and white.

Thanks for catching up with both shots.

I like Incomplete, immediately obvious but a nice photo.

Thanks Rob

A strong take on the theme. A good use of monochrome.

Thanks very much.

Definitely incomplete and interesting background info. They put gas mains in around here about 30 years ago and the only sign of it now are the posts in the hedge where the mains pipe crosses a road, IIRC each weld was checked by X ray and story/rumour was a welder was allowed one failure then fired.

Cheers. Not completely sure on the construction but they look like metal with HDPE outer. So they must be welded on site. Let's hope there is a way to check all the joints before they fill it!!

Nicely worked for the theme Graham, and the mono is good too!

Cheers Simon. Pleased the conversion is liked. Wasn't sure if I pushed it too far or not!

Incomplete works well with the theme,

I saw a program a few years ago about the underground pipelines crossing the country, I didn't know they were so long.

YOUR AREA - great shot. Like other's have mentioned there's something really nice about this angle. It looks like the stature has just caught you taking its picture and is giving a friendly bit of side-eye. The bright red draws the eye in.

INCOMPLETE - I think this works well in the B&W conversion.

Good shot for the theme and the B/W conversion looks good, suits the subject.

A really good shot for the theme and taken form the right angle.
As others say, B/W suits this.

Week 1 The red scarf makes the statue stand out more. Just enough DoF to show the background.

Week 2. Glad you chose the B & W version really suits the image. When you see images like this it makes you realise how resources are used to change the countries infrastructure to ensure we continue to be fit for purpose in many forms. A good documentary series in the making here of the progress.

Thank-you everyone.

Looks like they lay them out on the surface, on those cribbing blocks.. presumably weld, then bury. They have brought in curved pipes for corners, or to get around hills and hollows in the terrain too!

It is a fantastic major project - and has seemingly dealt with environmental challenges, (like removing rabbit burrows before digging) really well.

That made me smile - looks like a near miss!!
Interesting project and works well in mono... I would think its a pretty grim sight in colour.

Incomplete image really stands out, nice to read the background story too.

That made me smile - looks like a near miss!!
Interesting project and works well in mono... I would think its a pretty grim sight in colour.

There is a lot of mud around! Under each of my submissions I have included the original "as shot" image.

Incomplete image really stands out, nice to read the background story too.

Thanks Nicky.

I really like the simplicity of this shot, although maybe not so simple to create. The retention of detail against the background right into the top corner is great.

A beautiful, simple shot Graham. Very well exposed and composed.

Back