weekly -OY-'s Weekly 52 thingie for 2018 - Week 52 : Showcase (Complete)

Hollow A cracking sunset, hope you enjoyed it with your feet up and a beer.

Hi Dave,

Autumn - I think I prefer the Sunset over Wigan. Both are good, but you've got golden god rays, a great range of colours in the sky, autumn trees. It's a complete opposite to my shot.

Hollow - The train shot made me chuckle too, shoe-horned a 458 into a nature shot. I think the sunset shot is the better of the two though.

Hi Dave,

Autumn - I think I prefer the Sunset over Wigan. Both are good, but you've got golden god rays, a great range of colours in the sky, autumn trees. It's a complete opposite to my shot.

Hollow - The train shot made me chuckle too, shoe-horned a 458 into a nature shot. I think the sunset shot is the better of the two though.

Ta :)

Blurry train was Pendawotsit 390002 :)

Last edited:
I'm guessing that is a tilt/shift effect applied to a shot of Whitby and it is very well done, really looks like a model, nice bright photo.

I'm guessing that is a tilt/shift effect applied to a shot of Whitby and it is very well done, really looks like a model, nice bright photo.

You got it. Taken this afternoon from the top of the opposite side of the harbour.

A great example of tilt/shift perfect subject matter :clap:

Ta muchly :)

Dave

Autumn, Some lovely colours captured well. good perspective as well. Bit of frame lefthand side being cropped out would clean up that edge.
Autumn over Wigan, you get about, wirlwind tour of the UK? The very bright sun in the frame works well due to the colour in the rest of the sky.

Hollow, Nice contrast in the Image. I take it the can is empty and hollow. Nice details in the foreground and the OOF background and sun make the can pop. 2nd monster does not work as well for me. I can see the train which I guess is a monster in relation to the steam age?

Pete

Those people are really lifelike in the model Whitby shot. Is it a Photoshop Tilt and Shift or an expensive raid on your bank account one. Whatever it is very effective.

Pete

Dave

Autumn, Some lovely colours captured well. good perspective as well. Bit of frame lefthand side being cropped out would clean up that edge.
Autumn over Wigan, you get about, wirlwind tour of the UK? The very bright sun in the frame works well due to the colour in the rest of the sky.

Thanks - I do get about but Wigan is home :)

Hollow, Nice contrast in the Image. I take it the can is empty and hollow. Nice details in the foreground and the OOF background and sun make the can pop. 2nd monster does not work as well for me. I can see the train which I guess is a monster in relation to the steam age?

Pete

The train is a hollow tube too :)

Those people are really lifelike in the model Whitby shot. Is it a Photoshop Tilt and Shift or an expensive raid on your bank account one. Whatever it is very effective.

Pete

Thanks - its a Photoshop tilt-shift. Never played withthe expensive option... Yet :D

Model

I like the effect and have been thinking of giving it ago myself.
You could maybe have lost a bit of the foreground, I'm not sure you need all of it.
Nicely exposed and the bit that's meant to look sharp is definitely sharp.

Model

I like the effect and have been thinking of giving it ago myself.
You could maybe have lost a bit of the foreground, I'm not sure you need all of it.
Nicely exposed and the bit that's meant to look sharp is definitely sharp.

Thanks - I think it needs that blur to help give the effect - but I'll try it and see.

An excellent take on the theme and it works perfectly. I was wondering too about was it an expensive equipment or PP to achieve the effect. Some cameras even have a similar built-in retouch option.

Thanks Stan :)

Catching up on photos so catching up on comments too.

Low - great colours I like the reflection in the puddles
Match - nicely framed pair I like the near symmetry of it I like the isolation of the two trees too.
Music - Very vibrant, captures both the 40s and the Music theme great shot
Hard - I like use of b/w on this one
Creatures - that is so cute, great shot, I love it.
Synthetic - very 70s good spot
Rural - the Poppy really stands out against the corn
Bright - great starbursts on both of them very bright
Elegant - I love the completely inelegant first pose.
Derelict - like others I like the first picture more but the second is more derelict.
Home - I like the b/w and the different textures.
Round - I agree the tweaked one is better
Cooking - I agree with you the edge would be lost into the background without the hint of the red.
Short - fun bit of art with a cheeky shoehorn.

Oh my I am sooooooo behind

Forked - nice and sharp on the main runner and he stands out well as the rest is oof.
Refuse - But why would they play when they could sleep I don't normally think of pigs as cute but they are.
Dark - very calm water nice crisp reflection good shot.
Splash - made me laugh.
Pull - looks like an old Postcard, I like the colour version best.
Art - good use of selective colour.
Bizarre - all those umbrellas up indoors I hope no one is superstitious. very colourful and nicely taken.
Wild - I like the second shot better of the two as the water looks wilder
Autumn - lovely colours in the ivy on the building and I love the sunset over Wigan.
Hollow - both well taken but have no appeal for me sorry.
Model - good use of Tilt shift very effective good work

Wow - thanks for all those @minx

Corner - what a terrific image Dave. I well remember getting a soaking standing in this corner one day as I tried to get a photo of the waves coming in. Couldn't stop laughing actually despite having to go back to the B&B to get changed - wet through to the skin!

Corner

I too like a good stormy sea.
You've caught this wave just at the right time.

Well caught, I like a stormy day on the coast

Ta - me too!

Corner - what a terrific image Dave. I well remember getting a soaking standing in this corner one day as I tried to get a photo of the waves coming in. Couldn't stop laughing actually despite having to go back to the B&B to get changed - wet through to the skin!

Thanks. Yep - same here - drenched :D

Corner

I too like a good stormy sea.
You've caught this wave just at the right time.

Thanks - took a few to get it haha!

Dave

Corner, very nice Image Dave, you have caught plenty of movement in the water as well as the spray.B&W works a treat. Shame (nothing you could do about it) there are a couple of cars getting a free carwash showing behind the spray (more the right hand one which is at an odd angle)

Pete

Great shot showing the power of the sea. Works well in mono I think :)
Were you on a pier or something to allow the shot to be at that angle?

No - I was on a corner :)

Week 44 : Filthy

Filthy Rich

i-bJPD56F.jpg

Good take on the theme, I find the processing on the skin a bit strong personally but I guess it contributes to the "filthy lucre" idea

Filthy
It works for me, I like the processing, the idea and the money.

Week 45 : Marked by life

The great Simon Weston CBE opened the new Wigan Borough Armed Forces HQ today. A truly inspirational guy with a superb sense of humour despite his troubles.

Simon Weston by Dave Green, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back