Phil Bennett's 52 for 2016 - Stone Added

Very nicely lit - helps isolate and bring out the colour in the bottle. Excellent - I'd like to have a go at doing that; I have a few miniatures stashed away somewhere ....

I can't say I've exhasted myself searching but I haven't been able to find these on sale anywhere since the topic came up. I wish I had, as clearly they make great, colouful subjects.

Hi Phil - Captive - great interpretation of the theme - with the captive nut as well - great impact shot with the DOF and lighting!
Miniature - Nicely lit and the placing on the join of the surface adds interest. Spot on!

I love the lighting and the hint of reflection - would perhaps like to see a tiny bit more lighting on the cap, but that is being very picky!
I agree Emma about the lighting on the cap, this was done with all natural lighting, I should have edited a bit better to enhance the cap. Many thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Phil

A very nice low key image Philip (y)

( as already said, I thought there'd be more of these to )

I thought something like this might come up. Great job though, lovely lighting, sets the blue off really well against the background

A Captive nut eh :ROFLMAO:I would never have got that. Very clever and the dof is spot on (y)

Miniature, impressive done with natural light to get that amount of colour in the image. Only minor crit is it's a bit too central for my taste, but each to their own :p

Lovely blues in there and nice lighting. Not too keen on the ray of light in the lower section. Main issue for me, though, is the lack of a sense of scale. Of course, I know it's very small :)

Cheers.

Fab use of light to bring out the colour; love a good G&T and his is one of my favourites.

Cute bottle; I am wondering if it needed anything alongside to provide context of size...

Spooks

Only thing that would have worked along side is a big bottle of BS! Love the lighting, colour and of course the gin haha. On topic as well. Nice one, Phil.

Only thing that would have worked along side is a big bottle of BS! Love the lighting, colour and of course the gin haha. On topic as well. Nice one, Phil.
I could have done that Ian :) theres a bottle or two knocking about.

Phil

Hi Phil, catch-up time for me and I really should have done it sooner, now that I've just spotted your week 3 submission for miniature :oops: :$

Metal - great gritty shot, like the processing and capture itself. Works well and a great starter.
Captive - as others have said, the thought process is super but the picture is great as well. Very well chosen camera settings to make the most of the image and complementary processing to boot. Great job.
Miniature - what a rubbish idea for this shot. :D Sorry about nicking your idea - I genuinely hadn't seen your image until just now (after having just posted mine!) Your lighting is super and really works with that bottle shape and colour. Like mine, the only challenge we're having is it's not 100% obvious initially that it's a miniature, until you look at the size and type of cap...
Happy - nicely done. I like the leading lines and floor tone contrasting with the jumble of cards at the back. 3 cards in the foreground might be a stronger composition, but maybe works less well for the theme?

Some brilliant photos - really looking forward to keeping up with your thread!

Hi Phil, catch-up time for me and I really should have done it sooner, now that I've just spotted your week 3 submission for miniature :oops: :$

Metal - great gritty shot, like the processing and capture itself. Works well and a great starter.
Captive - as others have said, the thought process is super but the picture is great as well. Very well chosen camera settings to make the most of the image and complementary processing to boot. Great job.
Miniature - what a rubbish idea for this shot. :D Sorry about nicking your idea - I genuinely hadn't seen your image until just now (after having just posted mine!) Your lighting is super and really works with that bottle shape and colour. Like mine, the only challenge we're having is it's not 100% obvious initially that it's a miniature, until you look at the size and type of cap...
Happy - nicely done. I like the leading lines and floor tone contrasting with the jumble of cards at the back. 3 cards in the foreground might be a stronger composition, but maybe works less well for the theme?

Some brilliant photos - really looking forward to keeping up with your thread!

Thanks Paul

Phil

Lighting and the texture of that tabletop is excellent. Brilliant idea for the theme ... I expect this particular family will be taxed out of existence shortly with the drive against sugar so an image of future historical value perhaps ha ha.

Happy families, not played that in many years,since the kids were tiny tots.
Nice idea, nice use of DoF too (y)

A little story behind this image, 35 year ago, when I was an apprentice, we used to fill up at this exact petrol pump just outside Morpeth. This morning when I was thinking of something to photograph, I remember this and wondered whether it was still there, I sent a message to a friend of mine who confirmed it was, so I went up and took this

Captive.jpg by Hamerrockopuss, on Flickr

Phil

Hi Phil! Great image - especially as we were driving past you as you were taking it this morning!! Thought your car was a speed trap!! I drive past these pumps most days. The kids always laugh at the metal chicken on the top!

Happy - Nice idea, great lighting and DOF. The flooring works really well as a background. I've been trying for plain backdros so far but shots like these make me think I should experiment a bit.

Abandoned - Lovely, and really interesting viewed full-size on flickr. However, now I know there's a metal chicken on top I wish I could see it!

Nice shot for abandoned, well remembered and taken, not sure about the vignette effect though.

Miniature is my kind of shot, nicely lit.. I can only echo what has already been said with regards to lighting on the cap and also sense of scale (y)

Happy - Nice idea, great lighting and DOF. The flooring works really well as a background. I've been trying for plain backdros so far but shots like these make me think I should experiment a bit.

Abandoned - Lovely, and really interesting viewed full-size on flickr. However, now I know there's a metal chicken on top I wish I could see it!
Nick

The flooring is actually my dining room table.

Phil

No offence to your table intended! ;)

Back