Pic(s) you took today - an open thread

We still usually have a rose or two left at Christmas and that's continued to this year as we still have one slightly bedraggled white rose left. So, in the dark and in the rain and by the light of the security light on the garage here it is...

g00d1ZV.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, December roses on a dull day :

L1026974_DxO-L50c-2-c.jpg

To cheer me up, I went to PORSCHE :

L1026979_DxO-L50c-2.jpg

The (used) prices did not help much ... :

L1026977_DxO-L50c-2-c.jpg

Hechtsheimer Strasse, Mainz/D :

L1026988_DxO-L50c-4-c.jpg

Our nativity scene :

L1026994_DxO-L50c-28-c.jpg

L1026996_DxO-L50c-28-c.jpg

The Magi waiting for their turn :

L1026998_DxO-L50c-28-c.jpg

The number of Christmas cards has been going down over the years. (I did not write any ... ) :

L1027004_DxO-L50s-25c.jpg

Last edited:
Taken this morning somewhere around 5 am on my way to work. The first one amazes me as it was really dark at this point near the river ( which was very fast flowing) I had to feel my way down the steps and the rear screen would not work as it thought there was an eye at the view finder because of the darkness. I also wrecked the first few as I had knocked it on to shutter priority rather than aperture priority and could not see anything ( note to self bring a torch next time) I might take the point and shoot tomorrow as a comparison to the Sony A6000.
river.JPG
I had to do some naughty parking for this one.
seeda.JPG

These were not quite as interesting as I had hoped for.
stepsbw.JPG

steps colour.JPG

Last edited:
Number three you could possibly crop in closer and get rid of the annoying modern window frame on the left. Might look better in portrait mode.

Last edited:
The window does look rather nasty I have to admit, this passageway takes you from Bridgnorth Low town to High town but I haven't walked it for about 20 years despite going there 60 zillion times since. I only had about 10 mins but I will have to try and walk the full length of it to see if there are any better Angles to get it from or other features to look at.
This is literally next to the road at Low Town. The lamp also made it a little difficult to get any more shadow detail without blowing the lamp out completely. It maybe worth a look from above the lamp on the steps to shield the lamp a bit. I think it would be worth a walk around Bridgnorth to scout some locations as it is a historic town. But it would have to get up at 3am to spend any time there in darkness before work ( I'm not keen on that). In day light it is a tourist magnet.

Last edited:
A few experiments relating to the above ( sort of ,they were taken in my back garden with my point and shoot.) All shot at about 15 to 20 feet. As the point and shoot will only take in auto it may well have altered the settings to suit the lighting so is probably not the most effective experiment. I have also noticed how bad my spelling is whilst typing this ( A direct result of Thatchers Britain, One knackard text book per 4 students)

Just the light from the window

no flash.JPG
flash just to see how much detail would be gained.
flash.JPG
No flash but with lamp on ( to see if the lamp would confuse the camera) Please note my house doesn't lean it's my wonky tripod ? ( I hope)
lamp only.JPG
Flash to see if it improved the glare from the lamp
flash with lamp.JPG

YO !! Richard the CANON EXPERT let me play with his all-singing-all-dancing CANON 7D today as we came out of a local cafe in Brentwood -- I had 'seen ' the table flowers and could see a picture with the background out of focus so I set f3.5 on the CANON EF 50mm f1.4 Super-Duper lens, AV auto RAW file and 'manual focus' and the DNG file I did in PhotoShop CC 2015 Edition to a J Peg . Hope you like it !
Table Flowers 03.jpg

YO !! Richard the CANON EXPERT let me play with his all-singing-all-dancing CANON 7D today as we came out of a local cafe in Brentwood -- I had 'seen ' the table flowers and could see a picture with the background out of focus so I set f3.5 on the CANON EF 50mm f1.4 Super-Duper lens, AV auto RAW file and 'manual focus' and the DNG file I did in PhotoShop CC 2015 Edition to a J Peg . Hope you like it !
View attachment 339427

Blimey! I've been watching your channel recently Pete. Good to see you on here. You've caught that plant nicely.

A few experiments relating to the above ( sort of ,they were taken in my back garden with my point and shoot.) All shot at about 15 to 20 feet. As the point and shoot will only take in auto it may well have altered the settings to suit the lighting so is probably not the most effective experiment. I have also noticed how bad my spelling is whilst typing this ( A direct result of Thatchers Britain, One knackard text book per 4 students)

Just the light from the window

View attachment 339421
flash just to see how much detail would be gained.
View attachment 339422
No flash but with lamp on ( to see if the lamp would confuse the camera) Please note my house doesn't lean it's my wonky tripod ? ( I hope)
View attachment 339424
Flash to see if it improved the glare from the lamp
View attachment 339426

I prefer the one without the flash and the lights on.

Today's muddy dog walk along Borle Brook.

A small but very deep tributary to Borle Brook ( does really show how deep the ravine is )
DEEP.JPG

A welcome drink ( although there was deep puddles every where.
STOP.JPG

This was at the top of the fields !!

well.JPG

Last edited:
This morning I was forced to go shopping ! The sun was shining and the light looked great. I thought to myself this would be the day to go to Mitchel's Fold stone circle. Two hours later it was hammering down, like an idiot ( and I've fell for this a few times lately) I decided to use Mrs Badgers phone to guide us there, we got to 10 minutes away and then it told us 40 mins in the space of 20 seconds then we lost mobile signal and it all went to pot. We found the circle by sniffing in the breeze. The journey there took 2 hours the journey home by using a map and my brain took 1 hour ! Now I remember why I don't have a smart phone ! The first number of photos were took with a Sony A6000 but as the rain was that bad and it was getting really wet the old point and shoot had to come out to finish off.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Last edited:
That looks a bit windswept. Where is it?

Nice results Peter and they seem to be a realistic price for mere mortals new !

They are pretty good. I've got the 17mm on my Fuji at the moment. I love it.

A couple that make my day look rather depressing, but despite these things and thoughts I did have a sort of good day.

An empty bottle and the end of the celebrations.

5G7y1V8.jpg

More local land cordoned off for new housing.

hpCQii3.jpg

Hi, a rainy day :

DSC_0601-a7r22-s150.jpg

Tried out ... :

DSC03745-a7r22-L60-c.jpg

DSC03739-a7r22-L60c.jpg

... on a marketing give-away from 2005 :

DSC03740-a7r22-L60-c.jpg

Put in vice :

DSC03741-a7r22-L60c.jpg

Used the wrench ... :

DSC03742-a7r22-L60c.jpg

... to open it ... :

DSC03743-a7r22-L60c.jpg

... to remove the battery :

DSC03744-a7r22-L60-c.jpg

I shall order a battery on another rainy day, perhaps. Normally, I only wear mechanic watches. The only times I wore a Quarz watch was on business trips to Russia.

So, why did I remove the battery?

It was more fun than doing my income tax ... :D

Back