weekly Richard's Weekly Photo for 2014 (Week 5 - Smoke)

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I've failed miserably at these in the past, and I might have worked out why.

So having another go. The aim is to get a photo uploaded each week - possibly not perfect - but a photo none the less.

Super clickable index :)

1 - Linear (Below)
2 - Play
3 - Close
4 - Bubbles
5- Smoke

Here goes with week one - Linear.

Taken with my S110

Last edited:
I like this - nice use of light and composition is spot on (y)

Nice crisp lines, looks good in b/w, great detail in the nuts.

I like the way it leads into the top corner as well.

Like this, it's clean,well composed and nicely exposed

Great image Richard (y) is this a take on linear in engineering? I should say, I've heard the term related to engineering but not sure what it means :D

A sterling effort. What is it though? :LOL:

If only this was the 'What Is It' thread..........looks like a motorcycle rear mono shock or an adjustable car strut :banana: :LOL:

Like. Good that it's not straight lines either. The lighting is nice too.

What is it by the way? I'm guessing at some sort of suspension component? (if so, is it a linear spring??)

wasn't sure at first ... but it grows on you.

nice composition.

Yes Richard.....Simplicity perfectly executed. Love the detail and sharpness though most of all the lighting and the repeating lines of bokeh......A winner for sure and one to be proud of......

hi
think everyone has said it all before me
great pic, well done

Hey Rich, welcome aboard. Nice to see you giving it another bash.

A sterling effort. What is it though? :LOL:

The little Canon has performed superbly!

Thankyou :) I am actually impressed with what that little S110 can put out when I work at it!
I like this - nice use of light and composition is spot on (y)

Thanks :) Honestly, the light was just how it fell in my garage, nothing special. It actually looked pretty flat until I shot it.
Nice crisp lines, looks good in b/w, great detail in the nuts.

I like the way it leads into the top corner as well.
Cheers! Would it be a little bit wrong to make a nuts joke..?
:wave: I look forward to following your progress great take on this I weeks theme.
Hopefully I can stick at it and give some progress to follow, thanks for the welcome :)
If only this was the 'What Is It' thread..........looks like a motorcycle rear mono shock or an adjustable car strut :banana: :LOL:
We have a winner!!! Adjustable front strut for a car :)
Like it. Great detail and well composed. B&W works well.

Crit, well, just the hot spot.

Yep, cursed a little when I realised that was burnt out. Should have checked the histogram while shooting but was too keen to get it all ready for fitting to the car!
Yes Richard.....Simplicity perfectly executed. Love the detail and sharpness though most of all the lighting and the repeating lines of bokeh......A winner for sure and one to be proud of......
Cheers Jason (y)
Like. Good that it's not straight lines either. The lighting is nice too.

What is it by the way? I'm guessing at some sort of suspension component? (if so, is it a linear spring??)
Thanks Mike. You are spot on, it is a linear spring on there which is why I first went after it. The lines were a bit of a brucie bonus :)

Pure stonking virginal heavy metal.
That my friend has to be the best comment I have ever had on a photo.

Hi Richard , apologies for being a little late to your thread..will try harder in future :)

Cracking 1st shot , hotspots been mentioned but like the DOF,diagonal & detail (y)

Thanks folks. I've been a bit slack this week, damn those employers and their work expectations!

Now adding PLAY

Last edited:
although its a tad dark I do like the composition of this.

is it one of those rock band type guitar thingybobs? just looking at that white switch thing and the fact there are no strings!

Good use of wide angle lens to really push the top end IYSWIM.

The white is nicely exposed.

I think I'd like to see a not of interaction as it looks a little static.

Cheers.

love the colours of it and love the first image of the coil over what was it off or going on if you dont mind me asking?

Nice composition very fitting for the theme another good image.

Thanks Mandy :D

I hear you (y)

Excellent low-key image for Play I like the focus point and DoF. Nice looking guitar too, what model is that?

Only crit is I would like to see the Fender writing lit a little more, but overall very good mate!

Cheers Simon. Good point about the Fender writing, could have made a good focus point had I added some light there. As for the model... well it's not a guitar :)
although its a tad dark I do like the composition of this.

is it one of those rock band type guitar thingybobs? just looking at that white switch thing and the fact there are no strings!
Nice composition and colour; as mentiin just a little too dark.

Thanks chaps. Nailed it with the 'guitar'. I decided to do a crossover on the theme of play so well spotted. Looks like a guitar, is actually a game controller from 'rock band'
this is also why I went very low key - it was the only way I could make cheap plastic and aluminium look moderately stylish!

Lovely contrast of colours with the blue and white. Like.

Thanks Mike. I will admit to having boosted the whites and saturation a smidge (about +10 each) in post

love the colours of it and love the first image of the coil over what was it off or going on if you dont mind me asking?
Thanks Rab
The coilover was going onto my BMW z3 2.8 that I'm doing a steady restoration / mod job on. Theme depending, I will likely use that for more photos in future, I spend enough time out in the garage!

I like play - and agree a bit more lighting would have helped - nice colour though.

I think both images are absolutely smashing...linear/line ...the focus, the colour...perfect.
Play is another great one, I like the dark background it makes a great contrast against the white...excellent.

(Sorry if I haven't quite mastered the technical terms...but you get the idea :))

Nice pov on play, the colours are really nice

Back